Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
Announcements
Do you have improvements you would like us to make on this community site? If so, we would love to hear your feedback! Click here for an 8 question survey. Thanks!

11299 Discussions

Ghost Canyon NUC i7 power supply is very loud

Zano
Employee

I just purchased a Ghost Canyon NUC i7 and noticed right away that the power supply fan is persistently noisy (not screechy, just really loud).  I see that about a month ago someone posted what sounds like the same issue, but I don't know what the resolution was and wanted to know they did.  Maybe @AndrewG, you would know?

Anybody else experiencing this? Any help is appreciated

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Maria_R_Intel

Hello Zano,

Thank you for posting on the Intel Community.

To better assist you please provide me with the below details:

• Provide me with a picture of the BIOS cooling settings you are using.

Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) 

Best regards,

Maria R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Zano
Employee

System info attached

Maria_R_Intel

Hello Zano,

Thank you for the report.

I noticed that you are not using the latest BIOS.

The latest version available is 0054, you can find the latest version here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29810/BIOS-Update-QXCFL579-

You can find the instructions on the Readme document: https://downloadmirror.intel.com/29810/eng/NUC-AptioV-BIOS-Update-Readme.pdf

If the issue persists, please remember to attach the screenshot or picture of the BIOS cooling settings you're using.

Best regards, 

Maria R.  

Zano
Employee

Updated to the latest bios but the noise level is still the same.  I have attached pictures of the BIOS cooling, performance and power settings to help debug the matter.  I set my my power to settings to 'low' to see if that helped, but no.  I have also linked a video of the NUC going into sleep mode so the fan stops spinning and waking up to give a better idea of what I'm hearing.

Video: https://photos.app.goo.gl/z4Xz9zwpmcbh7uut5

PXL_20201220_004019616.jpg

PXL_20201220_004038724.jpg

PXL_20201220_004125444.jpg

PXL_20201220_004137007.jpg

I've owned this NUC for less than 2 weeks and it doesn't seem like a normal sound when comparing it others, feels like this one may be defective.  How do I go about replacing my NUC for another if there isn't and straight forward fix  ?     

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Some people have very (overly?) sensitive ears and others (like me) have age-related hearing loss. It's thus important to use a common measurement criteria. I presume you have a smartphone? Run a sound meter app and place the phone on top of the chassis.

Under normal circumstances, amongst the noise from my other NUCs and PCs, I can't even hear my QX. I get a reading on the top of my chassis of ~40db (the "quiet library" level).

It takes burn-in software (I used AIDA64 Engineer) to raise temperatures enough to turn on the chassis fans and push them to full speed. With these fans running at full speed, I get a reading at or below 60db (the "normal conversation" level).

I would also point out that sound measurement is normally done with the sensor 1 meter from the system. In my (home) office, if measured at this distance, the QX NUC is lost in the background noise, even with its fans running at full speed.

Hope this helps level the discussion,

...S

Zano
Employee

Thank you for the advice Scott.  I did measure the sound and consistently get above 35db even at an idle state with no applications running.  Probably more than the noise level, the sound I hear is a whirring sound that makes it seem like power supply fan is not set correctly.  My concern is that over time it's going to get worse.  I'm working with the vendor to see what can be done since it doesn't seem like there is a setting that could help out here.

n_scott_pearson

35db has typically been the target for desktop PCs at idle, but there are efforts afoot (especial in the EU) to push this target down to 30db. The proposals also talk about psychoacoustics, which looks at the impact of the noise generated (i.e., whether the sound is noticed because of variation in frequency, intensity, etc.). Remember though that sound power/pressure is measured at 1 meter, not up close as we are doing.

Is the noise coming from the top of the chassis or from the bottom? There is fan assembly with two fans at the top. There is also small fan at rear for the PSU.

....S

Zano
Employee

It's the small fan at the rear  of the PSU where the whirring noise is coming from, I would take it apart, but generally opening up a PSU is not recommended and since I just got this unit I'd rather try a replacement instead somehow voiding any warranty.

n_scott_pearson

Those little fans are always the worst...

Ok, after verifying that your warranty is (still) active (here: Determine if Your Product Is Still Under Warranty), you need to directly contact Intel Customer Support to initiate the RMA process (you cannot do this through the forums). Here are pages where you can lookup contact information, including local/country phone numbers, by geography:

You can use the online forms service or email, but, being of an age, I actually recommend picking up the phone and calling them directly. The above links provide local or toll-free numbers in most countries and support most local languages. You could also use the chat service (start here: Intel Customer Support Chat), but understand that this service is offered in English only and is subject to the normal (9:00-5:00 M-F) office hours in the Pacific (UTC-8) time zone.

Hope this helps,

...S

Maria_R_Intel

Hello all,

Thank you for the amazing support Scott.

We checked internally and the unit is working as expected. 35dB to 40dBs when idle is the expected noisy level. Our recommendation would be to ask for a refund for this product since a replacement unit will behave exactly the same.

Please use the support lines that Scott provided.

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Maria R.