cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Manager

HDMI CEC Problem: Turning on NUC when TV is turned on isn't working

Hi there,

This issue is pretty similar to /thread/125129 this one, but I was encouraged to create a separate thread. My problem is with NUC7i3BNK, BIOS version v65 (latest as of this writing). I realize there is "Fixed CEC not working correctly" line in the release notes for v65 BIOS, but it didn't fix the issue for me, unfortunately. NUC successfully suspends after turning off the TV, but it can't wake up when it's on. It wakes up from USB keyboard ok, however. Here is the information on my device:

2. Product Name: NUC7i3BNK

Version: J31188-312

Serial Number: G6BN81200Q62

MAC: 94:c6:91:1c:b9:be

3. Ubuntu 18.04, kernel 4.15.0-24-lowlatency

4. 1 x Micron DDR4 4GB 2400 MHz / PC4-19200 SO-DIMM (4ATF51264HZ-2G3B1)

5. No SSD, No HDD, the device is PXEBOOTed

6. Logitech Media Keyboard K200, Logitech M105 Optical Mouse

7. The TV is Samsung 55" 4K UHD, Model number UA55MU6103KXXT

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello leshik,

Thank you for joining the Intel Community Support.

I understand that you are having issues with Consumer Electronics Control (CEC) via HDMI. I woud like to help you.

First, I would like to know whether CEC via HDMI worked with a previous BIOS version installed in your unit. I would like to know this because the function may not be fully supported by your TV. If this function worked before, then you can try using another HDMI cable that supports Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC). Note that some HDMI cables may not support Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC). I was doing some research, and it seems that SAMSUNG uses this name.

You can also follow this path to make sure the option is enabled in your TV: Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC) > Settings > General > External Device Manager > Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC)) and see if Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC) has been set to On.

Anynet+ may not function when some other functions are active, including Channel Search, Smart Hub, Initial Setup, etc

http://downloadcenter2.samsung.com/content/UM/201801/20180123105059723/ENG_KTMDVBADL-3.1.2_171206.0....

Additionally, you can check if Fast Boot and Deep S4/S5 are disabled in BIOS Setup and try other HDMI® ports on your TV.

I hope you find this information helpful.

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello Wanner,

Thank you for your reply.

1. Turning on NUC via HDMI-CEC wasn't working with previous BIOS versions. In fact, I updated the BIOS in the hope that it would resolve the issue.
  2. I can confirm that Fast Boot and Deep S4/S5 are disabled in the BIOS Setup.
  3. I tried different HDMI cables and ports but it didn't help.
  4. I can also confirm that Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC) is turned on in Settings > General > External Device Manager on TV. I also updated the TV software to the latest version. Please note that NUC turns off when turning off the TV, therefore, I assume that CEC is generally working but doesn't just turn the PC on.
  5. Disabling SmartHub and other TV features was the first step that I did as we absolutely do not need them in our setup.

What else can I try?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello leshik,

Thank you for following the steps provided above.

Because there is already a BIOS update (v.0065) that added nex fixes such as "CEC not working correctly", we will look into this issue to provide further troubleshooting steps or feasible solution to this problem.

I will provide an update as soon as possible.

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi leshik,

The issue with the CEC not working correctly is fixed with BIOS 65 <<a href="https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27886/NUCs-BIOS-Update-BNKBL357-86A-?product=95069" title="https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27886/NUCs-BIOS-Update-BNKBL357-86A-?product=95069">Download BIOS Update [BNKBL357.86A]> as you made reference before.

I would recommend that if your system is still having this issue after you updated BIOS to version 65, please try a BIOS recovery process. BIOS recovery makes a better job at cleaning anything previous and loading the new firmware.

The BIOS recovery process is described here: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005636/mini-pcs.html BIOS Update Instructions for Intel® NUC

If the BIOS recovery process doesnt resolve it, I would recommend that you contact Intel Customer Support for next steps, here is our contact us information: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html# @6 Contact Intel Support

I hope this helps,

Ronny G

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello leshik,

I was wondering if you performed the recommended steps provided by rguevara.

If you still need any assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi Wanner,

Sorry for the belated answer. I will definitely perform these steps, but I didn't have a chance yet – our sole NUC is in the school's pilot zone right now. We're in the process of buying 20 more, I will let you know once I get one in my hands and perform all the steps provided by rguevara.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello leshik,

Were you able to perform the steps recommended?

If you still need any assistance, we will be glad to assist you.

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi Wanner,

Yes, I performed these steps but it didn't help, unfortunately. I'm not sure if this is the Intel NUC fault, but for now, I believe that it's most likely not. I'm communicating with Samsung to find the solution.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Hi, I have the same issue with NUC NUC7PJYH and Samsung MU series TV. When I turn on the TV, NUC does not wake up. All the other CEC functions work fine (TV off => NUC sleep, NUC wake => TV on, NUC sleep => TV off). If anyone have good (or bad) experience regarding waking NUC from TV I would be happy to hear it.

Thanks, Peter

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I have a Samsung UN65MU7500 and have had issues with other devices connected to it. My Nvidia Shield is not recognized as a game console. I have tried two laptops and my Shuttle SH67H3 (3rd gen i5) with no luck.

I have yet to find a solution on the Samsung forum.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Samsung's Anynet+(HDMI-CEC) is the problem. I have my NUC7i3BNB running Win10-64 hooked up to HDMI 1. I connected my Pulse-Eight dongle. I was able to control Kodi perfectly with my Samsung remote.

Only ONE problem...

Now the TV turns on whenever it feels like it (even if the NUC is off). But as soon as I disable Anynet+, no more wake-ups, also no more control of Kodi. I spent what seemed like several hours with Samsung Chat letting them take control of my TV trying to fix the same issue with my Nvidia Shield.

Nothing worked.

If I find a working solution for this issue, I will post it here. In the mean time at least my TV isn't coming on at 1AM in the morning.....

0 Kudos