Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AWERN4
Novice

HDMI Firmware update failed

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29092/HDMI-Firmware-Update-Tool-for-NUC8i3BE-NUC8i5BE-NUC8... updates the HDMI Firmware version to 1.77 for NUC8i7BEH.

Bobcat aux-isp tool finds wrong graphic adapter resp. system connections fails. I used Windows 10. Device manager sees graphic adapter.

20191105_190420.jpg

0 Kudos
11 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Did you have a device connected to this HDMI port?

...S

n_scott_pearson

Also, are you sure you are running this on a BE NUC? It is saying that an AMD Graphics Adapter is present, but there is no AMD Graphics Adapter in any of the BE NUCs.

...S

AWERN4
Novice

Yes. A monitor HDMI was connected to the NUC. Yes, of course I ran it on my Intel NUC8i7BEH.

I used a Windows-to-go installed on a harddisk. This was booted also on a iMac 2017 with AMD graphics.

Next week I'll get a new SSD. I'll install Win10 on it and try again to update HDMI FW. I'll report.

Intel has it's own Linux distro called Clear Linux.

https://clearlinux.org/about

Therein is gnome-firmware

https://gitlab.gnome.org/hughsie/gnome-firmware-updater

I have installed and use Clear Linux.

Why isn't it possible to use gnome-firmware to do all FW updates issued by Intel?

n_scott_pearson

You should have posted a picture from running the update on the NUC, not the iMAC. Regardless, we await your re-test results.

To answer your question, the NUC team is simply not supporting Linux is an environment for firmware updates. I can understand this stance; there are simply too many distributions and too many versions of these distributions to consider supporting; the cost of validating across all of these would be horrendous and raise the overall cost of the NUCs significantly. Though separate from anything regarding this HDMI firmware update process, Intel's secured update methodology for system-level firmware, which requires that the updates be performed during POST, simply cannot be supported by/with something like gnome-firmware.

...S

AWERN4
Novice

The picture resulted from running Windows10-to-go from a harddrive on Intel NUC8i7BEH.

Please let us have this as a iFlash BIOS Update booted from USB-DOS-Stick. I did all BIOS Updates with iFlash from DOS.

And it's all INTEL:

https://community.clearlinux.org/t/intel-nuc8i7beh-supported-by-clear-linux/745

Alberto_R_Intel

AWERN4, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

I just wanted to check if you were able to get the new SSD, install Windows* 10 on it and run the HDMI firmware update?

Regards,

Alberto R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

AWERN4
Novice

HDMI firmware update successful. I did a fresh installation of Windows 10 for this. May be that in Windows-to-go devices and adapters previously found when booted on iMac were kept in history of device manager and found by Bobcat aux-isp tool.

After successful firmware update screen remained dark/black. Only after monitor powering off and on screen with success message came back.

Alberto_R_Intel

Hi AWERN4, Thank you very much for letting us know those results.

Perfect, excellent, it is great to hear that you were able to run and install the HDMI firmware update on the Intel® NUC Kit NUC8i7BEH with no problems.

Any other inquiry, do not hesitate to contact us again.

Regards,

Alberto R.

Alberto_R_Intel

Hello AWERN4, You mentioned that you were able to install the firmware update successfully but the screen remained dark/black.

I just wanted to check if the problem still persists and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Alberto R.

AWERN4
Novice

I think it was normal that monitor lost signal right after HDMI firmware update. Now everything seems to be ok. I'll check firmware version next time I'll boot NUC with Windows.

Rgds

AW

Alberto_R_Intel

AWERN4, Thank you very much for sharing that information.

Perfect, excellent, it is great to hear that the HDMI firmware update was done successfully and the Intel® NUC is working with no problems. As you mentioned, it is normal for the monitor to lost signal right after the HDMI firmware update, we are glad to know that everything is OK.

Any other inquiry, do not hesitate to contact us again.

Regards,

Alberto R.