Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
12506 Discussions

HDMI video unstable

HaraldStoerrle

Observation

The video stops at irregular intervals, in the range of 10-30s, sometimes for a split second, sometimes for 1-2s. Very annoying and distracting.

Closing in

The problem only arises when using the NUC for work (desktop), not when displaying media (streaming, videos/DVDs).

The problem only arises when connecting via HDMI. Connecting the NUC via Thunderbolt/USB C makes the problem disappear (not an option for me unfortunately). So the problem sits definitely along the HDMI chain.

The problem does not occurr when connecting another computer to the same monitor via the same HDMI cable in the same palce. So, the monitor and cable are not the source of the problem, nor is HDMI per se, or any accidental environment variables (some people suggested interference with cell phones). Which leaves only the NUC.

Setup

I have a NUC 10i7 FNB version K6136-30 running W11. All relevant components are at the latest versions

• BIOS v.0059 dating from 2022-10-19
  • HDMI Firmware version: Bobcat App: MC2800 v1.77 (cut2.2) CMDB: Ver:0.3 (Custom Ver: 1.4)
  • Graphics driver (27.20.100.8681 from 2020-05-09)

The NUC sits in an Akasa Turing FX passive cooling rack, no WiFi/BT antennas connected - but it was the same before, in the Intel-provided case.

The NUC is connected to a DELL U3821DW, also updated to latest firmware version M2B104.

Any ideas, anyone?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @HaraldStoerrle 

1. Did you installed a driver for your Dell Monitor?

2. This is a link to Dell Support Page for your Monitor.  In addition to Monitor Driver, you may find here the latest firmware and Dell Display Manager Application as well. 

Hope this will help

Leon

View solution in original post

12 Replies
Jean_Intel

Hello HaraldStoerrle,

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities. I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues with your Intel Nuc system.

In order to have a better understanding of your issue, please provide me with the following:

• Do you recall any Operating System or driver update?
  • You mentioned that the issue only occurs when using Nuc for work, does it mean that the issue occurs when using certain applications? If so, what are the affected applications?
  • When you say that the video stops, does it mean that screen is black or is it that the screen freezes?
  • To identify if there is a compatibility issue with your display, try connecting the Intel NUC to a different monitor or television
  • Update your Operating System. Try Updating Windows* to the latest version.
  • Install our latest HDMI firmware, version 1.78.2.0.7.
  • Also, you mentioned that the graphics driver is 27.20.100.8681. This driver is not the latest available on our website, please install our latest driver: 31.0.101.2111 following the Clean Driver Installation process.

Best regards,

Jean O. 

Intel Customer Support Technician

HaraldStoerrle

Hi Jean

answering your questions in the order you posed them.

• No, the problem has been there from the start
  • the problem is always there, irrespective of workload, unless I play media full-screen.
  • for the shorter interruptions, the effect is like an old TV losing signal for a split second. I think it actually goes black but only for a frame or so. For the longer interruptions, the screen goes black for 1-2s. Sometimes, I need to switch the monitor off and on again to reestablish output.
  • tried it with a non name 24'' (AOC 24P1/GR) at 1920*1080 on HDMI - and lo and behold, the problem went away.
  • done before asking
  • done
  • done

After a reboot, the behaviour is unchanged. I also tried to set the resolution on my DELL display to 1920*1080, to no avail. So it looks like some funky interaction between the Dell display and the Intel NUC. As I said above, it doesn't when hooking up a Lenovo Laptop to the display using HDMI. Note that I have already updated the monitor firmware. Any more ideas?

cheers

Harald

Jean_Intel

Hello HaraldStoerrle,

I appreciate the information you provided.

I would wait for you to try a different monitor. It will help us identify if there is a compatibility issue with your display, as I mentioned in my previous comment. Let me know the outcome or if you face any inconvenience.

Best regards,

Jean O. 

HaraldStoerrle

Hi Jean,

Done - I edited my earlier post. That was probably a silly idea.

Bottom line:

problem does not occur with a different monitor. Given that the problem doesn't occur either when switching the computer, this is likely an interaction between just these two components. For good measure, I also tried more combinations, see below.

COMPUTER CONNECTION MONITOR BEHAVIOR

Lenovo Thinkpad S390

Lenovo Thinkpad P1

USB-C/TB

HDMI

Dell D3821UW

AOC 24P1

ok
NUC HDMI Dell D3821UW Problem
NUC HDMI non name 24'' (AOC 24P1/GR) ok
NUC USB-C/TB -> DP Dell D3821UW ok (!)

I couldn't test the NUC via HDMI on a different monitor for want of a US-style power chord, of all things. But I found an old USB-C to Display Port cable lying around, and, surprise, that turns out to work.

In summary: the HDMI problem is likely an interaction between the NUC and this particular type of Dell monitor. Which is still annoying, and I'd like to see a resolution, but my immediate problem has been resolved (running 2 computers on 1 screen via the built in KVM switch of the Dell dispaly).

LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @HaraldStoerrle 

1. Did you installed a driver for your Dell Monitor?

2. This is a link to Dell Support Page for your Monitor.  In addition to Monitor Driver, you may find here the latest firmware and Dell Display Manager Application as well. 

Hope this will help

Leon

HaraldStoerrle

Hi Leon,

yes to both.

Anyway, I repeated the procedure and after a couple of reboots the problem seems to have gone away.

I did use a different HMDI cable, though, so that might also have something to do with it. Shouldn't really, but what do I know. Looks like it's all right now - thanks for the help.

I find it strange that I apparently wasn't able to locate the most recent drivers to sort this out myself. No idea what went wrong there.

cheers

HS

HaraldStoerrle

I stand corrected - the problem came back at the next power cycle.

So - updatign the drivers was NO solution, after all. I'll go back to USB-C -> DP, then.

So this is marked as "solved" when it really isn't - I can't change this back, it seems.

Jean_Intel

Hello HaraldStoerrle

Thank you for the information provided. 

I will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details.

Best regards,

Jean O. 

Jean_Intel

Hello HaraldStoerrle,

I appreciate your patience.

This time I recommend you test a high-quality HDMI, as it may be a good idea. Unfortunately, since NUC works well with a different monitor and the monitor works well with another PC (or via USBC) this may be a compatibility issue, as I mentioned earlier. Based on that there is not much we can do about the problem.

Best regards,

Jean O. 

Jean_Intel

Hello HaraldStoerrle,

I hope you are doing fine.

Were you able to check the previous post?

Let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards,

Jean O. 

HaraldStoerrle

Hi Jean,

nor sure what you mean by "a high quality HDMI" - monitor and cable definitely are high quality, and have been all along. That's not the problem for sure. In fact, buying high-quality at a premium is just what I did in order to avoid the exact sort of problem that I describe above. Since Intel doesn't produce monitors, but Dell does make computers, I guess that means that I switch back to using Dell computers rather than Intel Boxes. Then at least there is no fingerpointing from one manufacturer to the other.

cheers

H

Jean_Intel

Hello HaraldStoerrle,

Thanks for your response.

We understand your frustration regarding this problem, and due to that, and in case your unit was recently purchased (sometime in the last three months), we would like to offer you a refund. To do so, contact Intel Customer Support to initiate the RMA process and provide us the Proof of Purchase (you cannot do this through the forums). Here are pages where you can look up contact information, including local/country phone numbers, by geography:

U.S. and Canada: Intel Customer Support

Europe, Middle East, and Africa: Intel Customer Support EMEA 

Asia-Pacific: Intel Customer Support APAC 

Latin America: Intel Customer Support LAR  

Best regards,

Jean O.