Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DPers1
New Contributor III

HDR10 on NUC7i5BNH

Windows 10 Home 64, current insider fast lane build 18262(same problem experienced on earlier builds)

Graphic drivers tried, win64_24.20.100.6286, win64_25.20.100.6323, win64_25.20.100.6326(currently installed)

Latest BIOS

I have a TCL 65" 4K TV capable of HDR10.

When I enable HDMI 2.0 on the TV it runs 60Hz 3840x2160 (also 4096x2160) with no problem whatsoever .

BUT when I enable HDR in Windows the screen becomes unstable, sometimes everything seems OK but then a thin white line will appear at the bottom

of the screen sometimes this white line will flicker and other times not. Ones the line appears its the to stay until I run Iris display settings(that crashes occasionally) and just apply

standard setting and the screen will go back to normal for a while.

Also the screen becomes sort of milky white'ish when using browser to stream and from what I can gather that's normal when none HDR content is displayed.

But it's that irritating white line that's the issue. I don't think it's a CABLE issue since 60Hz is working fine and I have also tried a few different HDMI2 cables.

Is this a problem with the graphics driver, win10HDR or a combination of the two? Early days issue?

I'm not a gamer so I'm quite happy to run at 60Hz 3840x2160 but I want to know why I have this problem.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
DPers1
New Contributor III

I was wrongly under the impression that HDR10 needed 60Hz, discovered that it's not so, I switched the refresh rate to 30Hz and enabled HDR in windows and guess what.

The display is stable no white line at the bottom. Also noticed that Windows enables 10 bit HDR. I'm using a 3 Meter HDMI Cable and I guess that's at the absolute limit of 60Hz HDR.

Is that a correct assumption? Should I go out and get another HDMI cable? I can probably get away with 2 Meter but would prefer 3 Meter.

Is there any point in going 60Hz if you don't do gaming?

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

First of all, cables are the root cause of 90% of all problem reports, so I would suggest that you replace the cable with a better one regardless.

As for refresh rate, the higher the rate the smoother the response and the cleaner the picture. At 30Hz, there may be a flickering that you cannot even detect yet it will still more-quickly tire your eyes.

...S

DPers1
New Contributor III

Turns out that it might be an issue with TV Firmware, HDR from Blue ray player OK but issues with HDR from PC will get updated within a week from now.

Running 60hz 3840x2160 without HDR while waiting.........

DPers1
New Contributor III

I'm still waiting to hear from TCL techies, we have had extended holidays here in Thailand.

I have continued testing to try to eliminate any problems.

Clean installed win 10 build 1809 problem still there.

Tested with a 1M HDMI cable on my original install problem still there.

So it's going to become a shootout between the NUC and the TV.

I would like to here an official explanation from Intel why there are so many compatibility issues with the NUC's.

I have NEVER bought a PC from anyone before who has a restriction on what TV you are able to use with your hardware.

Why does Intel have all these issues?

idata
Community Manager

Thaidroid: Were you able to get any response from TCL support?

Some products are just not compatible with each other, could be because of the design of them or the configuration of how they were build.

In the following link, you will find a list of tested peripherals for the Intel® NUC7i5BNH, you will see a list of TVs tested as compatible with the unit:

http://compatibleproducts.intel.com/ProductDetails%3FactiveModule%3DIntel%25C2%25AE%2520NUC%23 http://compatibleproducts.intel.com/ProductDetails?activeModule=Intel%C2%AE%20NUC#

Regards,

Alberto R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation
idata
Community Manager

Thaidroid: I just wanted to check if the information posted previously was useful for you and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Alberto R.

DPers1
New Contributor III

Alberto,

I just had my TV replaced under warranty and all my problems are gone, everything is working fine now.

I think that it was only a Firmware issue with the TV but trying online updates came back with you are UP to Date.

However the old TV had firmware LF1V119 and The New LF1V228......

I actually Took My NUC to the shop to prove to them and me that it was a TV and not a NUC issue.

idata
Community Manager

Thaidroid: Perfect, thank you very much for sharing those results. It is great to hear the NUC is working fine now.

Any other inquiry, do not hesitate in contact us again.

Regards,

Alberto R.