Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LSuxi
New Contributor I

[HELP]Intel NUC8i7BEH, random freeze with eGPU (May caused by Thunderbolt driver)

I am suffering random freezes. Everytime I get freeze, I can't get any reaction from PC except pressing power button for shutting down.

I guess the primary problem is the latest Thunderbolt driver (Thunderbolt Control Panel), which can not support and install current firmwares from graphic card manufacturer.

There are similar issues happened on others' PC:

https://www.reddit.com/r/eGPU/comments/83i4lc/random_freezes_with_a_nuc_egpu_mix/.

https://www.reddit.com/r/eGPU/comments/azfvny/aorus_2070_gaming_box_dell_xps_13_9380_freeze/

eGPU is GIGABYTE AORUS Gaming Box RTX 2070

OS version is windows10 1903

All drivers including Nvidia driver and bios are updated to the latest version.

I would like to roll back to old thunderbold driver like 17.xx. But the old driver can't fit, it noticed "THUNDERBOLT APPLICATION NOT IN USE ANYMORE ERROR" after install.

High frequency freezes have seriously affected my work.

If anyone can give some solutions, I will be very grateful.

捕获1.PNG捕获3.PNG捕获2.PNG捕获.PNG捕获4.PNG

0 Kudos
41 Replies
Ronny_G_Intel

Hi LSuxi,

Thanks for the update, I will report this up to the engineering team.

Regards,

Ronny G

LSuxi
New Contributor I

Thanks a lot for your attention.

I get a new solution for this problem, even though under OS 1903 without change of BIOS.

1. plug eGPU and wait for automatically downloading drivers. In this time, the graphic driver could be 419 but not the recommended 416.
  2. disconnect eGPU once and reboot. Completely uninstall all NVIDIA drivers without connected eGPU. And then plug eGPU again, it downloads 416 driver.
  3. set the power mode in NVIDIA control panel/3D setting./power management mode/maximum performance
  4. set power mode of PC to high performance.

I searched online with keywords, like "eGPU windows10 freeze". I found that most users have such problem with GIGABYTE's eGPU. It likes GIGABYTE doesn't provide suitable software. 416.PNGMost of freeze happened when eGPU was under low load (cause power saving or change to integrated graphic).

MZhou9
Beginner

I have a NUC8i7BEH + RTX 2060 super and I`m suffering the same problem. Usually it happened when I`m watching videos online for around 30 to 40 minutes, but with nvidia 436.02 driver it took just few minutes to happend. I`ve tested playing a local video file and it works just fine, so as when I switched to another RX590 card. So the problem seems to be nvidia-only and have some relationship with the browser or networking. I`ve tested using another eGPU box but the problem showed up just the same. BTW my tests with different version of drivers showed that the studio drivers do help a little bit with the problem than game ready drivers. Here is my device information and I really hope that it could be solved soon!

BIOS: 0073

EGPU: Akitio Node + RTX 2060 super

LSuxi
New Contributor I

Did you change the power mode to maximum performance in NVIDIA control panel? It might be helpful.

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

@MZhou9​,

Every person's situation is different. Discussing two peoples' issues here is thus not appropriate. Please create a new question under which we can discuss your issue.

...S

MZhou9
Beginner

Thank you very much for your suggestion! I've changed the setting and it successfully passed a 40-minute online video playing test. I will ​run another 2-hour test to confirm later.

LSuxi
New Contributor I

Hey bro,

Does it work for your issue? I actually observed that most of freeze happened when eGPU was under low load.

MZhou9
Beginner

Hi, I`m sorry to reply late since I`m busy recently. Yesterday I ran a 2-hour online video playing test and it passed, so I think the problem is solved! Thank you again for the suggestion! For the last month I`ve failed so many times trying to solve it. I was tried and even planned to sell it, haha. So you really saved me! As to your observation, yes, my computer freezes only when playing online video, which is one kind of low load situations. For detail I used studio driver 431.86 and game ready driver 436.15 for my tests.

ADriv
Beginner

Same problem here.

I also have

NUC8i7BEH + all the officially tested hardware inside

eGPU is GIGABYTE AORUS Gaming Box RTX 2070

OS version is windows10 >1903

All drivers including Nvidia driver and bios are updated to the latest version.

And system randomly freezes (even no HDD light activity). Mostly it happens out of gaming, but during windows desktop fetch/ youtube/ browsing etc.

The setup becomes unusable without the integrated graphics card.

Hope this problem was taken seriously.

Thank you.

Ronny_G_Intel

Hi ADriv,

Did you try the BIOS setting recommendation provided a while ago by user: 3000022788291.5647142268050762E12?

Here is the recommendation:

eGPU2.jpgeGPU1.jpg

Please let me know.

Thanks,

Ronny G

ADriv
Beginner

Thank you for your quick reply.

I tried it yesterday. And it did not fix the problem.

After 1 hour the freeze was during the load (gaming session). The temperature level of the graphics card was acceptable.

Alex1G_Intel
Employee

Hello,

We are getting an eGPU is GIGABYTE AORUS Gaming Box RTX 2070 in the next few days for us to try to duplicate your freezing issue while gaming. Since we do not have access to the games you have, we will use simulator 3DMARK for stress tests.

Please bare with us until we get the equipment and we will communicate our findings via community posting.

Sincerely,

Alex

Intel Customer Support

LSuxi
New Contributor I

Hi ADriv,

I finally fixed this issue through changing the configuration of NVIDIA control panel. You might need to change the power mode to maximum performance.

NVIDIA control panel>3D Setting>Global Setting>Power management setting>Maximum performance.

LSuxi
New Contributor I

Lots of thanks for your effort.

I finally fixed this issue through changing the configuration of NVIDIA control panel.

NVIDIA control panel>3D Setting>Global Setting>Power management setting>Maximum performance.

This issue will not happen when I am playing game or doing high load work. It always happened when NUC were running under low load, like watching streaming video, listening music, etc. It seems like the conflict between Intel power management and NVIDIA power management.

Another problem is that latest NVIDIA driver(>416) may crash when I am training deep learning model. A third party software can help to install old drivers(https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/nvcleanstall-clean-installer-for-nvidia-drivers-alpha.249...)

LSuxi
New Contributor I

Hello everyone,

If you are puzzled about the EGPU random freeze issue. I recommend you to change the configuration of NVIDIA control panel. It is helpful in my case.

This issue will not happen when I am playing game or doing high load work. It always happened when NUC were running under low load, like watching streaming video, listening music, etc. It seems like the conflict between Intel power management and NVIDIA power management.

Another problem is that latest NVIDIA driver(>416) may crash when I am training a deep learning model. A third party software can help to install old drivers(https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/nvcleanstall-clean-installer-for-nvidia-drivers-alpha.249...)

Hope it can help you!

can confirm that it works. thank you very much!

Ronny_G_Intel

Hi everyone,

We were able to duplicate this issue with the hardware in question: GIGABYTE* AORUS* eGPU and Gaming Box RTX 2070* and we observed the issue reported in this forum: system freezes up randomly.

We applied the workaround recommended by LSuxi to go into NVIDIA*s control panel > 3D Setting > Global Setting > Power management setting and set this up to Maximum Performance, and we can say the system performance improved and was much more stable during testing.

We also tested a different TBT eGPU Razer Core X* and we observed no issues at all. 

If the issue is mitigated by adjusting settings on the eGPU power management options and not exhibited when testing a different brand/model eGPU, we believe that this issue is not related to the NUC.

Please let me know if you have more questions.

Regards,

Ronny G

勇焦000
Beginner

为啥要退回去?能用就行啊,我也试过,不好使,就得安这个版本。顺便问一下,电脑关机以后gamingbox的电源风扇转吗?我的一直响,除非拔掉雷电线,我分析是因为nuc的雷电口在供电,我试过把一个type-c的充电器接到显卡坞的雷电口上,电源风扇也是转起来的,应该就这这回事,我也试过关机时候NUC的雷电口确实能给手机充电,但是我不知道怎么关掉雷电口的关机充电,所以为了电源风扇寿命和晚上安静睡个觉只能拔线。能留个联系方式吗,交流一下。​

ATria5
Beginner

I have the exact same problem. I have a Nuc8i7beh running on Windows 10, with an Aorus 2070 Gaming Box eGPU. Please, give us a solution to this problem

PavelPr
New Contributor I

Hi,

I am the owner of an Intel NUC (model NUC8i7BEH, the same as the OP's) and I also own an Gigabyte Aorus Gaming Box 2080 Ti. I'm running Windows 10 version 1909 with all the latest driver and firmware versions (DCH Thunderbolt 3 driver version 66, NUC bios version 0078, and NVIDIA GeForce Game Ready Driver version 445.75).

I've been experiencing the same issue and have changed the aforesaid setting to "Maximum Performance". Although the incidence of the issue described in this thread dropped significantly after having changed said setting, it still does happen (mostly not long after Windows has finished booting, and sign-in is performed). Additionally, I don't see a reason why we would have to work with non-default settings, and presumably incur higher power consumption, just to avoid these freezes. To my understanding, hardware should not freeze and the user is being given a choice with respect to power management configuration for a reason.

It is clear to me that there is something in the combination of these components (the 2070 and 2080 Ti Gaming Box cards should be similar, in this regard), which is causing this. Presumably, this has to do with driver compatibility with regards power management.

I am not interested in using the Maximum Performance setting unnecessarily, all the more so that the problem is being made less severe, but not resolved completely, after making said change. Could we please get a solution for this, in the form of a software (driver) or firmware update, that addresses this issue for all settings (including defaults)?

If you are convinced that the NUC hardware and drivers have nothing to do with this issue, could you please work with Gigabyte or Nvidia to get to the bottom of this? – it is clear that this is not an isolated case, and others are experiencing it. To the contrary, you were able to reproduce it yourselves. The solution involving power management setting change does not seem to be sufficient, having only reduced the incidence of this issue, without mitigating it entirely. Maybe Intel engineers could look into this?

Thank you!