Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LSuxi
New Contributor I

[HELP]Intel NUC8i7BEH, random freeze with eGPU (May caused by Thunderbolt driver)

I am suffering random freezes. Everytime I get freeze, I can't get any reaction from PC except pressing power button for shutting down.

I guess the primary problem is the latest Thunderbolt driver (Thunderbolt Control Panel), which can not support and install current firmwares from graphic card manufacturer.

There are similar issues happened on others' PC:

https://www.reddit.com/r/eGPU/comments/83i4lc/random_freezes_with_a_nuc_egpu_mix/.

https://www.reddit.com/r/eGPU/comments/azfvny/aorus_2070_gaming_box_dell_xps_13_9380_freeze/

eGPU is GIGABYTE AORUS Gaming Box RTX 2070

OS version is windows10 1903

All drivers including Nvidia driver and bios are updated to the latest version.

I would like to roll back to old thunderbold driver like 17.xx. But the old driver can't fit, it noticed "THUNDERBOLT APPLICATION NOT IN USE ANYMORE ERROR" after install.

High frequency freezes have seriously affected my work.

If anyone can give some solutions, I will be very grateful.

捕获1.PNG捕获3.PNG捕获2.PNG捕获.PNG捕获4.PNG

0 Kudos
41 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel

LSuxi, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

Just to confirm:

Was the Intel® NUC working fine before with this same configuration?

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes?

When did the issue start?

You mentioned that the BIOS is updated, the latest BIOS version available for this Intel® NUC is 0073, is that the BIOS version currently installed?:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28951/BIOS-Update-BECFL357-86A-?product=126140

According to Nvidia's web site, the latest driver version available is the one that is currently installed in your system, which is 431.36:

https://www.geforce.com/drivers

I looked in Gigabyte's web site, the latest graphics driver available for the GIGABYTE AORUS Gaming Box RTX 2070 is version 416.34, please install that driver:

https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N2070IXEB-8GC/support#support-dl-driver

Make sure that the Intel® NUC Kit NUC8i7BEH is using the proper memory RAM: DDR4-2400 1.2V SO-DIMM

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/126140/intel-nuc-kit-nuc8i7beh.html

Run the Intel® Processor Diagnostics Tool to rule out a possible overheating problem:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool

Just for testing purposes, test the Intel® NUC without the Nvidia video card connected to it and let us know if the problem still remains, this could also be a compatibility problem with the external video card.

If the problem persists then we can test the Intel® NUC with just one memory stick at the time with each memory stick, also if you have the option to install a different Hard Drive/SSD that will be a good thing to do since the issue could be related to that device as well.

Regards,

Alberto R.

Intel Customer Support Technician   

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

LSuxi
New Contributor I

Thank you for your attention.

1. NUC was working fine before. If I disconnect eGPU from TB3 port, NUC will work fine without random freezes. So far I can confirm the issue is caused by the TB3 driver. I tried my other laptop with old TB3 driver, eGPU also worked fine. After some time windows update, OS began to stop supporting old driver “Thunderbolt software 17.x.xx”. The new driver “Thunderbolt Control Center 1.41.645” is not compatible.
  2. There are no hardware changes except eGPU.
  3. This issue only happens while eGPU is connecting to NUC.
  4. BIOS version is 0073.
  5. I can’t install the mentioned 416 driver due to OS version. Windows 10 1903 or 18xx only supports driver over 419.
  6. Hardware and overheating problems didn’t happen.

This issue is completely caused by the new TB3 driver. The new TB3 driver is not compatible. I may reinstall lower version of OS or wait for eGPU manufacturer’s update.

Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello LSuxi

Have you tried uninstalling and installing the Thunderbolt™ 3 DCH Driver on the Intel® NUC? You can find the driver and the steps on the following link: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28735/Thunderbolt-3-DCH-Driver-for-Windows-10-for-Intel-NU...

Regards,

Leonardo C.

LSuxi
New Contributor I

Hi Leonardo C,

I am sorry for my late reply. The test cost a long time.

I tried to reinstall thunderbolt driver as reference, but freeze is still presence.

I tested my another laptop with thunderbolt 3 port. In this laptop, the thunderbolt driver is "Thunderbolt Software 17.3.74.400" and everything works fine without annoying freeze。

I think current "Thunderbolt Control Center" is not compatible for eGPUs. which were designed for "Thunderbolt Software". Thses comments from forum verified it.

I really hope next update can solve this issue.

Alberto_R_Intel

Hi LSuxi, no problem at all, thank you very much for providing those details.

We will do further research on this matter, as soon as I get any updates I will post all the details on this thread.

Regards,

Alberto R.

Ronny_G_Intel

Hi LSuxi,

I need some extra information to bring this up to the next level of support for investigation, unfortunately I don't have this eGPU for testing.

Can you please provide more details such as:

1- When is the freezing happening?

2- Is it happening when running anything specific? Does it happen randomly for apparently no reason other than the driver itself?

3- Can you please run Intel SSU and attached the log file to the community? Here is the URL where you can get the tool: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

Thank you,

Ronny G

LSuxi
New Contributor I

I really appreciate your attention!

1.The freezing is only happening when eGPU(AORUS Gaming Box RTX 2070) is plugged on NUC(Thunderbolt Control Center 1.41.645). I tested plugging eGPU on my lenovo laptop(Thunderbolt Software 17.3.74.400), it works fine. NUC and laptop have same version of graphic driver(latest 431.36).

2.Sometimes it happended soon after powering on, but sometime it happended 3-4 hours later from powering on. I tried to observe some regular patterns, and then I found the freeze might be frequent duiring non-high power consumption, like hanging on website, listening music, editing word file and watching video. I tested a 3DMark pressure test(1 hours, 4 times), so far no freeze happened.

It is my pleasure to provide a log file. I am grateful you are looking into this issue.

Alberto_R_Intel

LSuxi, You are welcome, thank you very much for sharing the report and confirm those results.

We will continue with our research on this topic, once I get any updates, I will post all the information on this thread.

Regards,

Alberto R.

maxw
Beginner

My NUC8i7BEH has the same problem..... Here is the information,

OS: Windows 10 version 1903 with all drivers are updated.

BIOS: Version 0073

EGPU: ​AORUS Gaming Box 1070 with the latest FW.

When freeze happened, the OS was HANG totally, no disk light. Seems like the windows kernel did not handle any interruptions?

LSuxi
New Contributor I

Right, OS is completely stuck. No disk light, no audio signal, but stuck graphic signal. I guess it might be caused by some bus conflict?

Somehow, I tested other laptop under old TB3 driver in which everything worked fine.

However, the OS version limited the way to rollback. Hope intel developer can fix it.

maxw
Beginner

Hi LSuxi,

Can you provide the OS version and driver version on your ​laptop? Maybe I can test it on my NUC to rule out the NUC's hardware problem. Thank you!

LSuxi
New Contributor I

Thank you for your update!

You provide a feasible way to make eGPU work. Actually I had tried to reinstall the DHC driver and turn power mode to high performance, but OS still met freeze. One thing is different that I didn't disable the internal GPU.

I will disable it and test for a long time running again.

I am sorry I reply your question so late, because I left my laptop at lab. I just checked the version, OS: 1803, TB3: Thunderbolt Software 17.3.74.400, Nvida: 431.36. The other drivers of laptop provided by Lenovo are up to date currently, detecting by Lenovo's driver management software.

Thank you again. If I get any updates, I will post them soon.

maxw
Beginner

Hi LSuxi,

I have changed some config in BIOS without installing old OS or drivers.... It seems effective. No any freeze occured last day (about 20hours gamin、chrome、bt downloading.... sometimes high-load, sometimes low). I hope these can help you.

IMG_20190804_180858.jpgIMG_20190804_180912.jpg

LSuxi
New Contributor I

Hi, bro.

You are genius. I just want to update my status. Even though I disabled internal GPU, Iris 655, I still have same issue.

You kindly updated a new way to modify bios setting. I will try agian. Only one question, under such bios setting, do you enable internal GPU or still disable it?

Thanks a lot.

maxw
Beginner

Hi LSuxi,

You can enable the internal GPU. After reinstalled the OS, I did not change any config in the OS.

After modifying the BIOS setting you will get a warning info. In my situation, the OS can booting normally. You can make a backup, just in case.

Also no issue today...... mybe we have solved it.

LSuxi
New Contributor I

A really bad thing happened. Even though I modified BIOS setting, disabled Intel GPU, reinstall all drivers, freeze still afflicts me.

Might be the difference between 10 series card and 20 series card. I am not sure, but I am considering to reinstall 1803 version of OS.

This issue is so awkward.

Thank you for your suggestion. If I get any updates, I will post them.

Ronny_G_Intel

Hello everyone,

Great collaboration, I honestly haven't made any real progress investigating this issue. Great help from 3000022788291.5647142268050762E12

LSuxi, please let us know if you think this issue is resolved or if further assistance is needed.

Regards,

Ronny G

LSuxi
New Contributor I

Hi Ronny G,

Thank you for your attention.

Disappointedly, I still can not figure out this issue.

I had tried to modify BIOS setting, disable Intel GPU, reinstall all drivers, but freeze still afflicts me.

The reason might be the difference between 10 series card and 20 series card. I am not sure, but I am considering to reinstall 1803 version of OS.

This issue is so awkward. I really need further assistance.

LSuxi
New Contributor I

Hello everyone,

New update.

I finally rolled back to OS 1803 and installed Thunderbolt software driver.

Everything works so fine! No freeze! At least 48hr to confirm eGPU worked fluently.

The new Thunderbolt driver from windows store is absolutely not compatible. Until next important update I won’t change to it.

Ronny_G_Intel

Hi LSuxi,

Thanks for the update, I will report this up to the engineering team.

Regards,

Ronny G