Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PFouk
Novice

HELP ... Need to remove SSDs everytime I start up my NUC so it can boot !

NUC8i7HVK running perfectly on Windows 10 , BIOS 59.

Updated to BIOS 60 which was successful.

Everytime I try and start my NUC now it hangs at the BIOS screen.

I need to :

Power down from frozen state at BIOS Screen

Remove my SSDs.

Boot up without SSDs to get a message "No bootable devices"

Shut down NUC and reinstall my SSDs

Turn on power and boot successsfully into Windows 10.

Problem is this happens evertime I reboot or shutdown. It was working perfectly before the BIOS update to version 60.

I have attempted BIOS recovery and reinstalled the BIOS.

Wiped all the settings with F9 to default and re-entered them

Removed the BIOS jumper etc.

No luck, any suggestions would be great as I cant be removing and re-installing my SSDs everytime I want to boot up.

45 Replies
Mitchell_R_Intel
Employee

I just tried it on my HV and get the same error about platform not supported. Strange because it use to install an Intel AHCI storage driver that was newer than the in-box Microsoft.

Only other thing to try is reinstalling your Secure Boot key in the BIOS. I don't think this would have an effect but if you change a major piece of hardware like a HDD/SSD it may prevent you from booting through POST. Even though you didn't replace it, you are changing the security settings for it so that may have an effect.

AlHill
Super User

Maybe related - Secure Boot issue in version 4.18.1901.7 

Some devices that are running Windows 10 do not start if they have Secure Boot turned on.

This is from:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4052623/update-for-windows-defender-antimalware-platform

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4052623

Doc

Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello PFouk,  

Thank you for the information provided.   

We will investigate further into this, please allow us more time and we will update this thread as soon as more details are available.  

Regards,  

Sebastian M.   

Intel Customer Support Technician.   

AlHill
Super User

@sbuya​ Please provide the make and model number of your SSD drives. It would be very helpful.

Is ssd Crucial P1 1TB 3D NAND NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD - CT1000P1SSD8 the only drive you have?

Doc

Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello everyone, 

I would like to let you know that we are working on this matter, we have pulled the 0060 BIOS version and we would let you know once a new version has been posted. 

The reason why this version was pulled is that we found an issue that when using a certain brand of SSD it would cause the NUC not to boot.

Regards, 

Sebastian M. 

Intel Customer Support Technician.

SRyan10
New Contributor I

Hi SebastianM_Intel,

Any idea on when the bios 0060 will be available?

Sam

PRyan4
New Contributor I

0060 version here no issues yet.

Win 10 64 1909 (OS Build 18363.752)

Samsung 500GB 970 EVO Plus

Crucial DDR4 8GB x 2, 2666Mhz CT8G4SFS8266

Paul

MSuur
New Contributor I

One of our customer's had this same issue with NUC8i7HVK and ADATA XPG GAMMIX S5 1TB SSD. The BIOS update was initiated within Windows through using Intel Driver & Support assistant. It was sent to us to be fixed.

We followed the procedure from this thread

1. Remove SSD
  2. Start with power button menu
  3. Downgrade bios from 60 -> 59 using bios recovery
  4. Load bios defaults
  5. Power down
  6. Install SSD
  7. Start normally
  8. Test boot to Windows (no login since we did not have credentials)
  9. Power down

The unit was then sent back to customer. BUT when the customer booted for the first time it started the bios update from 59 to 60. And the unit is now bricked again. It will be sent to us again. This time we would like to fix it properly.

How can we remove any trace of bios update initiated from Windows and prevent it from running ever again? Is the bios update stored in EFI-partition?

Thanks for any assistance!

Best regards, Henri / TeraStore

PFouk
Novice

What I have done as a workaround until such time a new BIOS is released to correct the problem is to change the BIOS jumper to pins 2-3.

This prevents any BIOS updates to happen at startup. It tries for a brief second but then reverts to booting into the OS.

Chris_V_Intel

@MSuur​ @PFouk​ @sbuya​ 

Hi guys,

First off, sorry you're having this issue.

Our team tried to reproduce this with a: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB, but weren't able to.

Any chance any of you use SSD passwords when this happened?

Thanks @PFouk​ for the SSU scan. I'm having the team check the FW version on your SSD vs what we have. Any chance you've checked for a new FW version?

If one of you is up for it, I may need to get your system.

Take care.

PFouk
Novice

I have never used SSD passwords.

The firmware on both my SX8200 Pro's is R0906I.

I've checked but not found anything newer.

MSuur
New Contributor I

There is a standard Windows 10 installation on the SSD, there is no boot time password query for the SSD. The SSD firmware was checked to be latest on time of initial installation 8.10.2019, it was not re-checked when we performed the fixing two weeks ago.

The most critical thing for us is to find out how to prevent Intel Support Assistant from automatically updating the bios back to 60. We will ask the customer to send the unit back to us and we need a permanent fix for this. Last time we did boot once into Windows successfully after the 59 downgrade. I assume that Intel Support Assistant was running as autostarted and re-activated the bios update for the next boot. I hope someone could clarify how the bios update through Intel Support Assistant actually works and how to prevent it.

Chris_V_Intel

@PFouk​ @MSuur​ 

Hi guys,

Thanks for the response. We're still investigating.

@MSuur​  I have 2 suggestions to fix 'BIOS 0060 wanting to install' issue.

1. Open device manager. Click the arrow next to Firmware. What is the value there? If it's HN0059 or whichever BIOS you're on, it's correct. If it's on HN0060, right click HN0060 and select: Uninstall your device. - ONLY do this if it reads HN0060.
  2. If you can get me the support assistant logs we can look at them and hopefully see something. To get the logs: Go to the C: Drive -> ProgramData (you must have Hidden items selected in the View menu) -> Intel -> Zip up the entire DSA folder.

If you send the logs, you can PM me.

Otherwise guys, I'll let you know what we find out. So far still haven't been able to reproduce it.

Cheers,

Chris

Chris_V_Intel

Hey guys,

Just an FYI, our team has a different FW version on our drive. Version: 42A4SANA.

I'm having the team check for an update.

I'll let you know when I get any other information.

Cheers,

Chris

MSuur
New Contributor I

We received the unit back and I think we finally have a permanent solution. Unfortunately we did not have login access to Windows and we did not want to wipe the installation. So we could not use the suggested ways to remove the looping 60 bios update. Here is what we managed to do.

The simplest workaround if you have bios version 60 installed and the boot is stuck on "Intel NUC" screen:

1. Power off
  2. Prepare a USB stick containing "HN0059.BIO" file
  3. Power on by holding the power button until it turns orange and release it immediately. The unit will boot to Power button menu
  4. Select F4 BIOS recovery
  5. Wait until BIOS is reverted to version 59
  6. Remove power cord
  7. Wait 30s
  8. Re-insert power cord
  9. Power on
  10. Press F2 to enter bios, then F9 to restore defaults and then F10 to save and exit

The critical note here is that you DO NOT NEED to remove the SSD to be able to revert the bios to 59. So this can be performed on field by customers without opening the unit.

After we reverted the bios we successfully booted to Windows. Learning from the previous repair attempt we booted again. This time shortly into boot sequence we briefly saw a Windows message stating "Please wait while we install system update". And the system rebooted to apply the version 60 bios update. We then repeated the above revert to 59 version and booted. And then booted again. This time it DID NOT loop to applying version 60 update. We have since done ~10 successful reboots with varying wait time in the login prompts.

My guess is that the Windows based update mechanism has some (3?) maximum retry count for the update and then simply gives up. Out of curiosity I searched for information regarding the Windows 10 built-in firmware update mechanism and found this: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsdeveloper/2018/10/17/introducing-component-firmware-update/. I guess Intel is using this for the Windows based bios update. Most of the hits for "Please wait while we install system update" go to Surface Pro firmware update problems.

Learning from this and past experiences (my personal opinions):

• Never update drivers/firmware unless you have a real need (=some acute problem to which there is a "proven" fix through the update)
  • Never update to a driver/firmware version which is less than x weeks old
  • Never use any automated driver/firmware installation tools unless you fully understand what they are doing (especially taking into account the first two bullets)
  • Prefer using OS independent bios update mechanism

I will need to think a way to communicate with the end customers about this. Quite many are using Intel Support Assistant on a regular basis in a "update everything every month" way which in my mind is absolutely unnecessary. When we do the initial installation we do it using the downloadable driver package run through our own automated silent installation mechanism. We do not even install the Intel Support Assistant. We have seen customers running NUCs just fine for years without updating bios/drivers, especially after the initial 2-4 months product launch phase.

BR, Henri / TeraStore

Chris_V_Intel

@MSuur​ 

Yes, w/o acces, it makes it difficult to do what i suggested. 😁

I appreciate you letting us know how you mitigated the issue!

As soon as I have more info, I'll post it here.

AlHill
Super User

This is a known issue with bios 0060 and the NUC8i7HVK, which is why 0060 was pulled.

Doc

yodaliu
Beginner

I have the same issue on my NUC8i7HVK with 2 different SSDs

ADATA XPG SX6000 Lite 1TB => can't boot

Crucial P1 1TB => can't boot

Intel p760 256GB =>boot OK

AlHill
Super User

The adata and the crucial have the same engine, and are affected by bios 0060. The HVK 0060 bios issue is being addressed, All we can do is to wait for the new bios.

Also, you are on a pre-release of W10, which is not supported (yet).

Doc

SRyan10
New Contributor I

Are we any closer to a new bios update?

Ronny_G_Intel

Hi everyone,

I am late to this conversation but I would like to get down to a resolution.

My understanding is that one customer that originally reported this issue can't get it to fail anymore and our product team purchased one drive we never could get it to fail.

Please provide me with any update you may have at this point.

Regards,

Ronny G