Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BDapa
Beginner

Has anyone had crackling/popping sound issues with the NUC8i7HVK (Hades Canyon) in Linux?

I installed version 18.10 of Ubuntu Linux (Gnome desktop), and when I play any audio (YouTube, for example) via the HDMI or DisplayPort it is corrupted by a crackling popping sound. This doesn't happen when using the headphone port.

I have found a fix for Gnome that requires editing the following line in nano /etc/pulse/default.pa :

load-module module-udev-detect

modify this to become:

load-module module-udev-detect tsched=0

I then run pulseaudio -k in the terminal before restarting.

This seems to solve the problem on Ubuntu with Gnome, but the above line (load-module module-udev-detect) doesn't exist in other distributions, like Manjaro with KDE, so I'm at a loss as to what to do about it. I'd like to try other distributions, but this problem is stopping me. I have also tested a live-usb POP_OS install with the 5.0 Linux Kernel (19.04), and this has the same popping sound issue.

Any help would be greatly received.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello BDapa, Thank you for posting on this Community. Intel has not validated these operating systems on Intel® NUC products. However, we will do further research to see if we can provide more information about this behavior. We will get back to you soon. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello BDapa, Based on the description of the issue, and the fact that you were able to solve it in Ubuntu, this is most likely a software/OS issue. We recommend contacting your Linux Vendor and use their distribution resources for driver downloads and support. Hopefully, other community members will provide further recommendations about this behavior. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation