Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KGo
Beginner

Hello! Can I used X550-T2 with NUC to make 10 Gbps Ethernet port?

Hello!

I'm trying to make 10 Gbps Ethernet on my NUC with a combination of X550-T2 and NUC7i5DNBE.

Because X550-T2 is not a cheap one to easy-buy, I have been searched the forum to find feasibility of the combination

; however, to my best, I could not find the answer for this..

Can someone help me to get the answer?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
8 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hi KyungminGo,

Thank you for posting in Wired Communities. It is recommended to contact our NUC support for this inquiry, as they are in better position to know what are the components to be supported or compatible on the NUC board. I will forward your post to the NUC support.

Thanks,

Sharon T
martmann
New Contributor I

The slot connector on the X550-T2 is a regular size PCIe x4, there aren't any of those on a NUC (that I know of), so I don't think you will be able to connect it.

KGo
Beginner

Thank you for your feedback, martmann!

In my opinion, because NUC7i3DNBE has an extension slot with PCIe x4: M.2 22x80 (key M) slot (i.e. NGFF 2280),

NGFF 2280 to PCIEx4 riser card can be used to attach X550-T2 to the NUC.

(e.g. https://www.ramcity.com.au/buy/lycom-m.2-pcie-ssd-to-pcie-3.0-x4-adapter/DT-120 DT-120 - Lycom M.2 PCIe SSD to PCIe 3.0 x4 HHHL adapter,

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/M-2-NGFF-NVMe-KeyM-A-E-2280-To-PCIe-4x-Riser-Card-Cable-PCI-Express/... M.2 NGFF NVMe KeyM A+E 2280 To PCIe 4x Riser Card Cable PCI Express x4 Extender 10cm 20cm 30cm 1ft 2ft 3ft PCI E Gen3.0 … )

Since PCIE3.0 w/4 lanes has higher performance than 10 Gbps, I think that the connection between the two is physically/electronically possible.

However, I'm not sure that the connection is supported by S/W drivers... and performance...

idata
Community Manager

Hello KyungminGo,

Thank you for contacting us regarding the compatibility questions that you have about the X550-T2 and our NUC7i5DNBE.

During these past hours we performed further research regarding your inquiry and we actually determined that the connection between these components its possible (electronically) but will not work (physically) unless you use a third party adapter to make it compatible.

However, we do not guarantee that the performance will be the best due to the fact that the support will be limited in terms of drivers and compatibly.

Hope this helps,

Best regards,

Diego S

KGo
Beginner

Hello Diego S,

Thank you for your previous feedback on the combination!

I have further questions on the performance of Intel NUC6i7KYK whether it can dealt with 4K/60fps video streaming over 10 Gbps interface or not.

I've been searching other potential solutions to enable my testbed for 4K video streaming over 10 Gbps interface after your feedback.

And, finally, reached to the other potential combination of "Intel NUC6i7KYK + Promise SANLink3-T1"

- Intel NUC6i7KYK: Support 4K video output through HDMI. Also has Thunderbolt interface.

- Promise SANLink3-T1: Provide 10 Gbps Ethernet port w/RJ45 through Thunderbolt interface.

This combination seems electrically and physically reasonable, however I'm not sure for the performance of NUC6i7KYK as follows:

- Can NUC6i7KYK support 10 Gbps traffics over Thunderbolt? Maybe iperf3 can be used to measure the performance.

- Can NUC6i7KYK display 4K video with 60 fps while 10 Gbps traffic comes?

If I can get feedback or any comments on this combination, it will be greatly helpful to proceed my testbed.

Best Regards,

Kyungmin Go

idata
Community Manager

Hello KyungminGo,

Thank you so much for your answer.

I totally understand that you want to inquire a little bit deeper regarding the Intel NUC6i7KYK compatibility.

I will take a look to the specifications of the units and the supported resolutions so we can provide a deeper recommendation about this matter.

I will reach you out as soon as we have an update.

Thank you for your patience in advanced,

Best Regards,

Diego S.
idata
Community Manager

Hello KyungminGo,

Thank you for your patience, I really appreciate it.

Regarding your questions:

-Can NUC6i7KYK support 10 Gbps traffics over Thunderbolt?

-Can NUC6i7KYK display 4K video with 60 fps while 10 Gbps traffic comes?

In this case yes, through network it goes data, it does not matter if the data refers to video, audio or any kind of data. Both devices match, electrically and physically , however we do not guarantee full performance due to the fact that the unit is not intended to work with this type of adapters.

I hope this helps,

Best regards,

Diego S.

KGo
Beginner

Hello Diego S.,

Thank you for you kind answer!

Now I understand that the physical connection is electrically and physically reasonable,

however the performance may not be guaranteed due to potential issues.

Since our works push hard works on CPU cores, cores may be unable to process the required works.

Thank you for your advice, now we can move on to the combination of 'Intel X5xx series 10Gbps LAN card and workstation'

Best Regards,

Kyungmin Go