cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mjons
Novice

Help_Checking media presence.. No media present. After failed insider update

Edit.

After the failed insider update and rollback, the machine worked fine and I switched it off.

Now after turning it on i get

Checking media presence....... No media present.

Only boot devices i can see in bios and boot menu is uefi lan pre

Any help please. nuci3.

reet n und attached

Since boot files are on the optane, are there any issues when updating insider builds in win 10?

I just tried updating to latest insider build, slow ring and it failed on second reboot and rolled back. I have seen others have issues installing it (not optane) but just wondered if optane could be an issue?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hello marjo,

We understand that you're experiencing boot issues on your Intel® NUC after the latest Windows 10* update available for Windows Insider*.

As for Intel® Optane™ memory, there have been no reports of failing due to the latest Windows 10* update in neither the preview version (version 1803 as of today) nor the public version (1709).

To properly assist you. we'll engage our team and move this thread to their community.

Best regards,

Eugenio F.
mjons
Novice

update.

After unplugging power for 1 hour I tested again and now it booted, but optane is disabled according to software.

I checked bios and suddenly windows boot manager was there in uefi. Sata mode still set as intel rst.

I see no option in bios to disable optane.

list disk sees it, and it is unallocated in device management.

I have no clue what happened other than:

-After trying to update insider to latest build it failed on reboot 2, then rolled back and seemed to work.

-shut down the nuc and after a restart it was just checking media presence..no media present.

-no windows boot manager in uefi. And only option was to reset to-non optane on the ssd with warning that everything on it would be lost.

-unplugged for 1 hour and it started again, but now optane disabled according to software.

Im really not that confident with this thing. My first NUC7i3BNH just died after 9 months, and I have had this NUC7i3BNHX1 for just a month.

idata
Community Manager

Hello marjo,

I understand that you are having problems with the Intel® Optane Memory after a failed attempt to update Windows, I apologize for any inconveniences.

I was able to review the information you have posted, however I have not seen anything showing under the "Intel® Optane Setup" window. Have you attempted to check how the memory shows there? There should be a way to check the status, if possible please attempt to check and see if it shows under the program.

I hope to hear from you,

Regards,

David V.
mjons
Novice

Are you talking about the software in windows? it just says enable.

I have not dared to do that yet.

idata
Community Manager

Hello marjo,

Thank you for your response,

That is correct, the software in Windows. Since it shows only the "enable" button it should not do anything bad to your current data. Please go ahead and enable it so we can see if the Intel® Optane works again.

Regards,

David V
mjons
Novice

well, I tried to enable it and windows crashed during the erasing bit.

So I used diskpart-list disk and clean all command on it. It still crashed when trying ro enable it.

Tried booting ssd in achi and it just fails to the win 10 recovery screen. Have to use the optane setting.

So for now i dont recommend optane for the nuc

idata
Community Manager

Hello marjo,

I would like to know if you have tried to setup the Intel ® Optane Memory from scratch. This is because apparently the software is unable to recognize the memory properly. It is recommendable to start with the setup from scratch. You may use the following instructions to set it up:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024061/mini-pcs/intel-nuc-kits.html

I hope you find this helpful.

Regards,

David V
idata
Community Manager

Hello marjo,

I am following up with your case and see that we have not heard back from you.

If you need more assistance do not hesitate to reply.

Regards,

David V
mjons
Novice

I reinstalled windows, and transferred programs + settings. Seemed faster than trying to get it too boot.

But the optane option seems unreliable to me when it comes to these faults.

No real documentation when it comes to scheduled imaging etc other than Disable optane then image and reenable.

Also the "optane will warn you when ..." is not any use. Since this happened to me after insider update+ I have had one nuc that failed to power on, period.

idata
Community Manager

Hello marjo,

I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. However the Intel ® Optane Memory was made to speed up the system and not keep data so it should not really affect any data you have if it were to fail. Nevertheless the Optane Memory should not really fail like that.

I would strongly recommend to follow the steps of the setup thoroughly to make sure that everything is properly set.

Regards,

David V