cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
idata
Community Manager

High pitched Noise from CPU0 VRM on S5520SC

Hi everyone,

I get a high pitched noise from presumably the VRM of the first CPU. I searched for "noise" in the forums and found two threads describing the same problem with other boards but without any solution. Is there any possibility to fix this issue? The noise is audible from the moment I turn the PC on and occasionally goes away but stays most of the time. It may be interesting to know that I use a P4 connector with P4->ATX adapter to power the first CPU but I'd say this can't be the problem as one user changed his PSU but the noise persisted on his system.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thomas

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
idata
Community Manager

No one having a similar problem? It makes me a bit concerned that other boards seem to have the same issue. I hope this is not a design flaw - even a broken board still would be better...

Surya_M_Intel
Employee

server forum would be appropriate for this query

idata
Community Manager

server forum would be appropriate for this query

Where do I find this forum?

Bests

Thomas

idata
Community Manager

I do get a high pitched noise from my S5520SC, but I have not narrowed it down to the VRM.

Its a very weird sound.

Happened right away when I turned it on for the very first time.

mtm

idata
Community Manager

Well, welcome to the club then.

I'm still suffering from this problem but sometimes it goes away - but then, it reappears randomly and is there most of the time. Very frustrating.

If you find a solution, please feel free to share it. Maybe someone from Intel could tell us what to do...

Thomas

idata
Community Manager

Still having this issue and not knowing exactly how to narrow it down to a single component. It's either coming from the VRM or somewhere between CPU1 and the back side of the board. Any advice what to do now?

idata
Community Manager

I had a DP55KG with this problem. The solution was a replacement board. Good luck

idata
Community Manager

That doesn't sound very good, IvanQ.

Interestingly, it seems I'm not the only one who suffers from this problem, if you have a look at Michael Mayers post. It's kind of embarrassing that a motherboard which nearly costs 400 euros has such issues. My brothers Gigabyte X58 board also produces noise on network traffic and he also spent a lot money. So it appears to me that these quality issues aren't on Intels side alone. I'd even spend 1 or 2 euros more if better components were used.

Whatever, I already wrote to Intel support and right now I'm waiting for their reply...

idata
Community Manager

Yeah I am disappointed with Intel "enthusiast boards" my self. This board I just got has its own set of new problems. I don't have time to deal with this anymore I think I am going to ask for a refund this time.

idata
Community Manager

The problem is that there aren't so much boards with 2 LGA1366 and 2 fully connected PCIe x16 slots. Maybe the Super Micro X8DAi or the Tyan S7025?