Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

How can, probably caused by playing video, random freezes be resolved?

Last week I bought an NUC8I5BEK and installed it with 2x 8GB of RAM (G Skill

F4-2400C16D-16GRS) and 1 TB ssd (Intel 660p). I installed Windows 10 Pro and updated it to the latest version. Then, I used Intel® Driver & Support Assistant to update all the drivers and flashed the BIOS to the newest version. The system works fine for the most part. However, when I try to watch a html 5 stream in full screen (Tennis TV in this case), at first it works and looks fine and then the NUC will completely freeze after a certain amount of time (differs from 30 minutes up to two hours). When this happens it does not respond to anything and I need to reset he NUCby pushing the power button for a couple of seconds so that it turns off. I tried this in Firefox and Edge with similar results. Just before it crashes I don't hear the fans spinning up or anything. I also watched a mkv file in VLC 3.0.7.1 and the same thing happened after a couple of minutes. I rewatched the same video file (45 minutes long) and then it ran just fine. I ran the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool to test if something was wrong with CPU and it passed all the tests. I tested Tennis TV and the mkv file with my old laptop connected to the same (full HD) TV I use the NUC with and I do not have these problems with it. NUC is connected to my TV via HDMI.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Employee

Hello JRomi,

Thank you for posting on the Intel ® communities.

Have you tried to see if the issue happens when playing a video stored in the computer? This is important to isolate the issue. Also, To better assist you with your request, I will need to check some information about your computer. Please follow these steps: 

1. In the keyboard, press WinLogo key + R. 

2. In the Run box please type dxdiag and hit Enter.

3. Click on Save All Information (save it in your desktop). 

4. Attach the report to this thread. 

Regards,

David V

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi David,

Thanks for your reply!

See attached the report. I copied the video file from an external hard drive and there were no issues but the second time I watched it from the external hard drive I also didn't have issues and of course I still have the browser problems.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

Hello JRomi,

Thank you for your response. 

I would like to know if you have tried using 1 RAM stick at a time to see if the issue persists. This is important to see if any of the RAM sticks is the one not working as expected. 

You can also try disabling the hardware acceleration from Google Chrome*, you can do this by going to "Settings" in the browser and in the search bar type "Hardware Acceleration", it should show the setting with a switch, please disable it. 

Let me know the outcome.

Regards,

David V

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi David,

I first tried the option to turn hardware acceleration off. However, the issue persisted.

Then I removed one of the RAM sticks and tested it again, that seemed to work. I then switched the RAM stick to see if the other RAM stick was the problem but this also seemed to work. Then I switched the RAM stick to the other RAM module and that also seemed to work. So then I put back the other RAM stick, so that both RAM sticks were in it again and tested it and it seems to work now. I hope this issue will stay away. Thanks for your help. Still strange that with the same setup it now works and before it didn't...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

Hello JRomi,

Thank you for your response.

I can see that the issue has not presented itself yet, I am glad to know that adjusting the RAM seems to have addressed the problem; nevertheless, please contact us back if the issue arises.

Regards,

David V

0 Kudos