Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BOxen
Novice

How do I change BIOS values with the NUC connected to a "standard" (non touch screen) monitor?

Jump to solution

I am configuring NUC for deployment to Surface Hub but need to change some BIOS values - how can I manipulate BIOS with no touch screen???

Thanks!​

0 Kudos
1 Solution
BOxen
Novice

​Hi Leon,

Thank you for the thorough and detailed reply.  I will certainly give your solution a try but I found, as per advice from Erick with Intel support, I am able to use an external USB keyboard and mouse with the device connected to native HDMI video output.  Good to know going forward.  Thank you everyone for being so helpful, I appreciate it!

View solution in original post

6 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

Intel NUC Bios has Legacy USB support future. You can use mouse and keyboard to change Bios settings. I'm even using Logitech Mouse_ Keyboard set with Unified Wireless adapter. You may use wired mouse and keyboard.

Leon

BOxen
Novice

​HI Leon,

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

How were you able to get the mouse and keyboard to work though?

Thanks!

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Actually, because Visual BIOS (the BIOS Setup program) is a UEFI application, Legacy USB support isn't even a necessity...😎

...S

BOxen
Novice

​Hi,

Please forgive my ignorance, but I am not quite sure I understand - how then would I get a keyboard and mouse to work then?  I know I can navigate through the BIOS when the device is connected to a surface hub, but in my scenario I need to have access to BIOS settings while connected to just a monitor with keyboard and mouse.

Thank you!

LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @BOxen​ 

1. Each NUC during booting, displays Intel NUC logo and in right bottom corner a menu: F2, F7, F10. Pressing F2 key on keyboard enables entering to NUC setting and then changing the setting. This menu is not displayed and the F2 key is not accepted in either of two cases: a) Yellow Secure Jumper (on the NUC board) is installed in Lockdown position (between pins 2-3) and/or Fast Boot is set in Bios settings. Since I don't know what is your NUC model' I'll show you an example of Secure Jumper location in NUC6i7SYH: see page 55, 56 in Technical Product Specification https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/boardsandkits/NUC6i5SYB_NUC6i3SYB_TechProd...
  2. In order to see this jumper you have to remove the NUC bottom cover. You may choose the relevant Technical Product Specification https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005545/mini-pcs.html
  3. This jumper have 3 positions: Normal (pins 1-2), Lockdown (pins 2-3) and Configuration (jumper removed).
  4. If you will find that the jumper is in Normal position (i.e. 1-2), remove this jumper (disconnect the power cable before doing this). Remove any devices connected to the USB ports, except mouse and keyboard. Reconnect the Power Adapter and Power On your NUC with Jumper Removed. After about 30 seconds, you will see configuration Menu. You may use F2 to enter Bios setting and/or F3 to disable fast boot (if it was enabled). BTW, the Fast Boot is not helping and I not advise to use it.

Leon

BOxen
Novice

​Hi Leon,

Thank you for the thorough and detailed reply.  I will certainly give your solution a try but I found, as per advice from Erick with Intel support, I am able to use an external USB keyboard and mouse with the device connected to native HDMI video output.  Good to know going forward.  Thank you everyone for being so helpful, I appreciate it!

View solution in original post