Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

How to Access Classic BIOS?

I recently had a NUC here that belongs to a client. The hard drive was failing. I attempted to boot to a USB drive to clone the original drive but had to turn off Secure Boot to accomplish this. When I entered the BIOS it did not show the Visual BIOS but more what i'd call a classic BIOS screen. I shifted the USB drive to be the first boot device. Ever since, every time I go into the BIOS with F2 it only shows Visual BIOS and when connected to the printer etc at client location they are forced to use F10 option every startup. Thinking if I got back to "Classic BIOS" I could undo the setting but it opens Visual BIOS every time... Attempts in Visual BIOS have been unsuccessful to resolve issue. What am I missing? Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Highlighted
Super User

1. You didn't specify what is the NUC model. However I would start from resetting bios to default settings. Usually it is done by pressing F9 (followed by "Y" and then by pressing F10 (followed by "Y").
  2. You may also try to recover BIOS to the latest version, using recovery method with the Yellow Security Jumper removed. https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005532/mini-pcs.html

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Thank Leon-

Since it left here "fixed" I did not note the model/serial info. I have requested it.

I considered doing what you suggest and setting the BIOS to defaults but since I know this alternate mode exists (just not how I bumbled into it initially) I'd rather see if I can just "put it back the way it was" prior.

Flashing a BIOS or initiating a recovery on a working BIOS to me may be more risk than it's worth but for now I'll save that as a last resort.

Cheers

Sam

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

One or two of the very early NUC models retained support for text-only BIOS Setup. Due to flash space considerations, however, this capability was removed in all later models. This is really stressing my memory, but I believe that the link to terminate Visual BIOS (which is a UEFI application) and fall back to text-only BIOS Setup was right there on the main page. If I remember correctly, it was in the upper banner near where the BIOS version was displayed. I will see if I can find one of the models that had this capability...

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

On the upper line of BIOS screen, I can see a Wrench icon (tool). When I press on it, in the Menu, I can see label "Visual Bios Settings". After depressing on it, there is a possibility to choose theme: NUC or NUC Atom? NUC Atom could be the old interface?

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted

No, that's not it - and be careful picking that NUC Atom option; one user reported his system not working properly after doing so.

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted

I am being told to look for a button that says "Classic Mode" on it.

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello SRose, Were you able to review the information provided on this thread? Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi Wanner I have watched the discussion but myself did not see any agreement on what to do- n.scott.pearson stated where to look but recanted. I do really appreciate the assistance. I’m planning to pop in at their location and try looking for a Classic BIOS button on-screen but have been buried and have not had a chance to go there. I am in a situation where I have to travel to get access to this machine as my client is doing an F10 startup daily and the machine is needed there – It amazes me that I got into the legacy BIOS screen by accident but can’t do it on purpose Thanks Sam
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Hi Sam,

Once you enter the UEFI Bios, look the boot drive priority in Advanced>Boot and change it as required (by drugging the System drive up) in both boot panels: UEFI and Legacy . Drug the System Drive to the first place.

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted

I didn't recant anything. I simply provided additional information regarding what to look for​. If you have a BIOS that retains support for text-mode BIOS Setup, this button/link will be there.

Now, thinking about this some more, I wonder if what you saw was the interface for a BIOS Extension​. Many of these are text-only - that for Intel Rapid Storage Technology (RST), MEBX (the ME BIOS Extension on VPro systems), etc.

...S

0 Kudos