Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
12341 Discussions

How to change a KVM password on a NUC8

Bonsoir
Novice

Hi,  I have 6 NUC8's, I know all the passwords whether bios/supervisor, mebx, and the current KVM password.  But I do not know how to change the KVM password.  

Can someone please be kind and suggest how I do it.  I'm a step-by-step person , so keep it easy for me.

Thank you .

Bonsoiresse.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Bonsoir
Novice

Hello All,

have now resolved the issue with the help of an internal Intel support individual. 

1: BIOS Password is easy to do in F2. BY changing the 'Supervisor' password.

2: MBEX Password once changed from default will synchronise both the MBEX password AND the digest password.

2.1 We changed an already changed MBEX password.  The digest password at this point will remain the 1st changed mbex password no matter how many times you change the MBEX admin password (by design)

TO change the digest password boot the NUC (NUC8 onwards) on DHCP and obtain its IP address.. Go to port 16992 with a browser. Login with the 'old' admin password  Go to user accounts ... click on 'change admi' and put the old and the new passwords to change it.

OR: Because I also want to enable RFBpasswd and legacy port 5900:

Download Intel Manageability Commander and install it.

Download electron-v8.5.5-win-ia32 zip and dump into C:\Program FIes(x86)\Intel Manageability Commander"

Start Commander.

Go to the NUC and set the hostname (yes, set the hostname in MEBX), if you have no DHCP, set IP as well.  (I found using fixed IP helped the changes be more consistent.

Boot the NUC.

Add the NUC IP address to the Commander, and 'connect' - enter the admin username and the first changed password unless its the default, in which case, its 'admin'.

go to user accounts and change the 'admin' by right click and selecting 'edit'.

For the RFB Password: CLick on 'System Status' and checkbox Redirect Port and KVM Remote Desktop (I think only KVM remote desktop) is required.

GO to 'Remote Desktop' and enable Port 5900 (Enabled, legacy KVM Viewers),. 

GO to Port 5900 Password:' and enter the Port 5900 password.

Dont forget to set the hostname to null and IP to DHCP if not required.

Thats it.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @Bonsoir

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

In order to review this further and provide you with the proper information or route this request to the proper team, could you please confirm the following details?

1- When you say "KVM password" do you mean Intel® AMT KVM and regarding Intel® vPro™ Technology for remote access via remote KVM (Keyboard, Video, Mouse)? Please provide more details.

2- What is the exact model(s) of the "6 NUC8's" devices? Please check the chassis label located at the bottom of the devices and refer to the Product Code and/or Regulatory Model:

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Bonsoir
Novice

Hi,  My apologies.  the NUC types are : NUC8v5PNH .

On Friday : I accessed using vncviewer plus  using the AMT Admin & password (mebx password) and I appear to have control of the NUC with it..   While I can set this, I been told this is not the password to change.

I also have in my list an 'AMT KVM/VNC Password' And I have been asked to change it.  for KVM control.  

So Now, i've said the above,  i go back to your 'step 1' "When you say ..."  I think it is Intel AMT kvm regarding Intel vPro Tech for remote access via remote kvm.  SO any advice, is much appreciated. 

Thank you in advance.

AndrewG_Intel

Hello Bonsoir

Thank you for your response.

Please allow us to review this information and we will be posting back as soon as more details are available.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Bonsoir
Novice

Ok. I have further update:

VNCViewer Plus. I have connected remotely, using the mebx adminpassword. this worked. (step 1)
I changed the mebx password via the console using Ctrl-P.
I logon to the mebx via console and this new password is now valid.
I logon remotely via VNC Viewer and logon to admin but now with the 'old' admin password... It appears they have gone out of sync.  Looking at Intel AMT doc, it seems this remote access password is now a Digest Master Password ? 
I was told that the remote AMT KVM/VNC Password had to be eight characters.. so I think that is now the RFB Password.  I do not know how to test it, or change it. 

Thank you in advance.

I'm also trying to work out the 'modes' as the NUC I am using seems to be in partial unprovision mode.   I'm trying to get time to read the implementation and refernece guide,  but struggling to find the time.

AndrewG_Intel

Hello Bonsoir

Thank you for these additional details, we have taken note of this information.

We are still working on this request; however, we would like you to provide us with a system information report in order to review more details about the system. Please run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) and provide us with the report. Please follow these steps:

1. Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer
  2. Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  3. To save your scan, click Next and click Save.
  4. Once you have saved the file (.txt file), please attach it to your reply directly here in the thread.

To upload and attach a file, use the "Drag and drop here or browse files to attach" option below the response textbox in the community thread.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Bonsoir
Novice

Hello All,

have now resolved the issue with the help of an internal Intel support individual. 

1: BIOS Password is easy to do in F2. BY changing the 'Supervisor' password.

2: MBEX Password once changed from default will synchronise both the MBEX password AND the digest password.

2.1 We changed an already changed MBEX password.  The digest password at this point will remain the 1st changed mbex password no matter how many times you change the MBEX admin password (by design)

TO change the digest password boot the NUC (NUC8 onwards) on DHCP and obtain its IP address.. Go to port 16992 with a browser. Login with the 'old' admin password  Go to user accounts ... click on 'change admi' and put the old and the new passwords to change it.

OR: Because I also want to enable RFBpasswd and legacy port 5900:

Download Intel Manageability Commander and install it.

Download electron-v8.5.5-win-ia32 zip and dump into C:\Program FIes(x86)\Intel Manageability Commander"

Start Commander.

Go to the NUC and set the hostname (yes, set the hostname in MEBX), if you have no DHCP, set IP as well.  (I found using fixed IP helped the changes be more consistent.

Boot the NUC.

Add the NUC IP address to the Commander, and 'connect' - enter the admin username and the first changed password unless its the default, in which case, its 'admin'.

go to user accounts and change the 'admin' by right click and selecting 'edit'.

For the RFB Password: CLick on 'System Status' and checkbox Redirect Port and KVM Remote Desktop (I think only KVM remote desktop) is required.

GO to 'Remote Desktop' and enable Port 5900 (Enabled, legacy KVM Viewers),. 

GO to Port 5900 Password:' and enter the Port 5900 password.

Dont forget to set the hostname to null and IP to DHCP if not required.

Thats it.

AndrewG_Intel

Hello Bonsoir

Thank you for your response. We are glad to know that you were able to resolve the issue with the help of an internal Intel support individual. Thank you for taking the time to share this feedback and hopefully, this may help other community members experiencing the same issue.

Since the thread has been marked as "Solved" we will proceed to close it now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored. It has been a pleasure to assist you.

Best regards,

Andrew G.