Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KAsva
Novice

How to get NUC5CPYH passthrough DTS-HD, Dolby TrueHD Audio?

I am using NUC5CPYH with Windows 8.1 and the latest Intel graphic driver, but it cannot passthrough DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD audio via HDMI to my AV receiver on any programs.

So, are there any ways to get NUC5CPYH passthrough DTS-HD, Dolby TrueHD Audio?

263 Replies
FBiss
New Contributor I

It was a good idea of yours to also post a screenshot. However, it does not show me if you have installed the Intel Display Audio driver. Could you tell me if "Intel Display Audio" appears in your device manager and on the General tab of your Onkyo HT-R693 output device?

KAsva
Novice

When I installed graphic driver, it also installed intel display audio automatically, and i saw Intel Display Audio appeared in my device manager, but no passthrough DTS-HD and TrueHD.

Today, I tried to clean install Windows 10. It is also no passthrough DTS-HD and TrueHD.

I read kodi wiki http://kodi.wiki/view/Windows_audio Windows audio - Kodi. It says about Intel GPU that "To support HD Audio on Windows the Intel Management Engine Interface driver must be installed, it's this driver that provides the HDCP DRM necessary for the HD Audio formats to works. If this driver is not installed then the HD formats will be missing from the Supported Formats tab". so I found Intel Management Engine driver on Intel website but no driver that match and can be installed in my device.

The picture below shows my Intel Display audio driver on Windows 10

OSalo1
Novice

I believe you need to install Intel Trusted Execution Engine (TXE) drivers and make sure it's enabled in the BIOS. TXE is what used to be called Intel Management Engine.

KAsva
Novice

opa1

I did try your suggestion, but there is also no TrueHD and DTS-HD bitstreaming audio.

Now, I am using OpenELEC installed in a usb drive to watch films and it works perfectly.

RMitr1
New Contributor I

That's probably one of the numerous Kodi issues. I never got passthrough to work on Kodi.

On windows any decent player using e.g. Lav filters will do passthrough nicely. I personally have used mpc-hc and potplayer to verify this on my Nuc5.

KAsva
Novice

Yamcenutzer, what nuc5 you have used?

RMitr1
New Contributor I

nuc5i5ryh

I don't think there's a difference in the types ryc, ryb, ryh, as long as it is a nuc5i5/3?

I dunno about the celeron types though, they seem to be completely different.

PFrüh
Novice

Please stay on topic and don't try to make your personal experience a common one. The hw can do dts-hd / truehd, but the windows driver currently does not allow it. Your mentioned alternatives won't do passthrough either. Concerning your "numerous" issues - feel free to link your trac record.

Miguel_C_Intel1
Employee

Hi Kanasva,

Please install latest BIOS version 0031

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25029/BIOS-Update-PYBSWCEL-86A- Intel® Download Center

Then, install the latest chipset driver and the latest Intel® Management Engine driver from the bundle driver.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/85254/Intel-NUC-Kit-NUC5CPYH Intel® Download Center

Please review the specs of your HDMI cable. It needs to comply with the standard 1.4b or Display port 2.2. (High quality cables) without adapters.

Mike C

KAsva
Novice

I am using the latest version of bios and chipset driver than in the bundle, and there is NO Intel® Management Engine driver in bundle driver, and I am using the cable that can bitstream HD audio with my laptop.

OSalo1
Novice

Appreciate your answer Mike. Can you confirm that the NUC5CPYH with the current display driver (15.40.3.4248 for Win 7/8/8.1) does actually support HD Audio passthrough?

There's no management engine for this NUC, but I guess Trusted Execution Engine should be the same?

Drivers here:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/search?keyword=Intel%C2%AE+NUC+Kit+NUC5CPYH Intel® Download Center

TPick2
Beginner

I am currently trying to use a NUC5CPYH to bitstream HD Audio (Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD MA) in Windows (8.1 and 10 tested). With the drivers from last week this was not possible. It was not listed as a supported format for the HDMI output device. I had the latest BIOS (0031) and TXE engine (Management Engine) installed. I did notice that the latest Windows 10 graphics driver listed for the NUC5CPYH didn't support it (its installer claimed it was only compatible with Core i-series NUCs). I have tried OpenELEC (Linux) and gotten everything almost working, though you have to use very "dev" drivers and software so it isn't 100% yet I think. I still sometimes have short audio blips, though I may be able to fix that with tuning and settings.

So my questions are: (1) Is the NUC5CPYH hardware compatible with bitstreaming Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD MA? I think the answer there is yes, unless there are errata. And (2) If so, are there plans to support bitstreaming Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD MA in Windows, or should I only look towards the Linux developments? Thank you for your time and help.

DCost4
Beginner

Are you using openelec plex or kodi? How was your experience with hd audio so far?

KAsva
Novice

Yes, I am. I am using OpenELEC to watch movies and use Windows Server 2012 R2 to be my home server. I have to restart from Windows and boot to OpenELEC when I want to watch movies (auto boot from the USB drive I installed OpenELEC. If I do not want to boot to it, just unplug the USB Drive).

HD Audio: DTS-HD Master Audio and Dolby True HD passthrough fine on OpenELEC as it shows on my Onkyo receiver display and I can hear and feel it. Watching Full HD full rip Blu-ray files on OpenELEC does not face any problem.

DCost4
Beginner

Nice man! Thanks! Just to be clear: are you using openelec with plex or kodi?

KAsva
Novice

Hi DLC, I am using OpenELEC with Kodi.

DCost4
Beginner

Are you still using NUC5CPYH or you have upgraded to a superior model?

KAsva
Novice

I am still using it.

DCost4
Beginner

Thanks for the information! Are you facing any performance issues when running openelec from USB drive?

Do you consider that NUC5CPYH with openelec is really reliable for HT purposes? Is it stable? Is there a lot of bugs?

Reliability is very important to me, since I'm building a htpc to my family and here at home only me knows how to troubleshoot computer issues. For example, I know for sure that my wife would stop using it if bugs begin to happen very often.

We already have apple tv to watch netflix and youtube, but now we are looking for something able to deliver the best high definition video and audio (1080p, full blu ray rips, dts master audio, dolby trueHD) to our high end home theater system. I already have a mac mini server to play the role of plex media server. The NUC would be just the client.

Best regards,

Daniel

TNieu
Beginner

Just bought a NUC nuc5ppyh To update my old (and big) HTPC.

One of the reasons was DTS HD en DD True HD sound capabilities. Unfortinatly this will not work under windows (8.1 or 10).

I use Windows as my main platform because i also use a lot of windows APPs (netflix with DD sound).

Is there any chance Intel might update their drivers to include this capability? Such a shame.

Now i have to use a dual boot scenario.