Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KAsva
Novice

How to get NUC5CPYH passthrough DTS-HD, Dolby TrueHD Audio?

I am using NUC5CPYH with Windows 8.1 and the latest Intel graphic driver, but it cannot passthrough DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD audio via HDMI to my AV receiver on any programs.

So, are there any ways to get NUC5CPYH passthrough DTS-HD, Dolby TrueHD Audio?

263 Replies
CBurk2
Beginner

So there was an update Graphics driver released the other day, I've just installed it and unfortunately it doesn't look like the audio driver has been updated as I've just checked the properties and it's not showing HD audio in the supported formats.

Miguel_C_Old
Employee

Hi theaccent,

The following formats are not supported by the Intel® Celeron® Processors (Braswell): DTS-HD, DTS-HD MA, Dolby TrueHD.

Regards,

Miguel C
CBurk2
Beginner

Hi Miguel,

I don't believe that to be entirely true...

DTS-HD, DTS-HD MA, Dolby TrueHD, right now do not work via Windows however if you install Openelec (Linux) onto the NUC5CPYH/NUC5PPYH then DTS-HD, DTS-HD MA, Dolby TrueHD actually do work... I can confirm this.

Chris

TNieu
Beginner

Just a theaccent posted.

Why does it work in OpenElec then?

Brasswell does support DTS-HD MA en DD TrueHD. Just not under Windows.

Wich seems to me just i driver problem.

Or just a lame excuse to not investigate this problem by simply saying that brasswel does not support those formats

Miguel_C_Old
Employee

Hi All,

The official update from the engineer department is the following:

HBR stands for High Bitrates, all new formats like DTS-HD, DTS-HD MA, Dolby TrueHD are HBRs

• BayTrail does not support HD Audio formats at all, meaning no HBRs.

• Braswell supports HD pass through but does not support HBR's(High Bitrates).

The drivers provided with the NUCs were designed for Microsoft® Windows operating systems and High Bitrates are not going to be supported.

Mike C

SHa5
Beginner

Hey mike_intel

You just keep saying the same words like a little bird.

Everyone here knows True-HD,DTS-HD.. do not work in Windows.

That's not the point..

These guys buy NUC because they want to use it as HTPC.

Intel did not have any description about it yet

HD-passthrough should work well without problems in OPENELEC. So the problem is that it does not support Windows, not the hardware support.

This is clearly an act of sucking the consumer.

Do not repeat the same answer.

I believe Intel will solve this problem through the driver support.

CBurk2
Beginner

Let's try not to be mean to Mike/Miguel, at least he is taking the time to respond to this thread.

Hi Mike/Miguel,

Your last post states that the official update from engineer department is

• Braswell supports HD pass through but does not support HBR's(High Bitrates).

It is the HD pass through that all the people on this thread are looking to get resolved. With the current Windows drivers, the HD pass through is NOT functioning on the NUC5CPYH/NUC5PPYH.

Are you able to investigate as to when HD pass through will work under Windows?

TNieu
Beginner

agreed. Passthrough is all we are asking.

And what, i think, should be possible

Miguel_C_Old
Employee

Hi,

I am going to spread your comments to our NUC engineers; hopefully they will put this feature on future updates.

Regards,

Mike C
TNieu
Beginner

Tnx.

And hopefully they do. They will make a lot of users happy (or at least one :-) )

idata
Community Manager

Please inform us if this is an intended limitation (for some unknown reason) of this otherwise great product or if it is just at matter of getting the right information to the right windows driver developer!

Miguel_C_Old
Employee

Hi,

The embedded graphics of the Intel® Celeron® Processors N3050 are limited and they are not capable to handle Audio passthrough. NUC models with i3, i5 and i7 support it.

Regards,

Mike C
MArer
Beginner

Hi Mike C

mikec_intel schrieb:

The embedded graphics of the Intel® Celeron® Processors N3050 are limited and they are not capable to handle Audio passthrough. NUC models with i3, i5 and i7 support it.

Unfortunately thats not right. N3000 and N3050 ar capable to handle Audo passthrough of High Bitrates. It is the same task reported in this thread again and again and again..... Passthrough is working fine in OpenElec, but not in Windows (reported already in this thread -> /thread/80807 Link).

It would be great, if INTEL Devs could soon provide a new driver with working support for Audio passthrough of High Bitrates.

Best regards

C

CBurk2
Beginner

Hi Mike C/Miguel,

I'm looking to confirm that you understand what it is that we're all saying on this forum...

The Intel Celeron/Pentium processors N3050 - N3700 ARE CAPABLE of HD Audio pass through.

This currently works on my NUC5PPYH running Linux (Openelec) it just doesn't work under Windows...

If you want, I can record a video of my NUC5PPYH, running Linux (Openelec) going through my Audio Receiver correctly getting pass through of HD Audio as proof!

Would that help in confirming to the developers of the drivers that HD Audio pass through can be done?

Miguel_C_Old
Employee

Hi theaccent,

I understand your point; however, according to our engineer department the latest NUC model 5CPYH with Intel® Celeron® Processor N3050 is not going to support High Bitrates with Microsoft® Windows operating system.

Regards,

Mike C
ESchu1
Beginner

Hi Mike C

I will communicate your message in Dutch forums. Many people will ignore these products. Sin.

I bought the NUC5PPYH, which I now regret.

idata
Community Manager

This was what worried me for some time already. That it is a market/product feature decision and not a technical issue.

Now that this information is out, I would really like to know why Intel feel the need to screw us customer from this feature?

This is really awful customer relation policy since the technical solution is just lying there ready and waiting to be implemented.

CBurk2
Beginner

Hi Mike C,

High Bit Rate and HD Audio pass through are slightly different... completely understand not supporting High Bit Rate decoding but HD Audio pass through should be supported and it has been stated several times that the Celeron/Pentium NUCs will support it (without a disclaimer that only on selected operation systems)

It's pretty disappointing from Intel that it's a case of won't rather than can't considering the amount forums there are on the internet of people who have bought these NUCs for the purpose of using them as HTPCs expecting HD Audio pass through.

Online petition anyone....

idata
Community Manager

This should not be such a difficult task since the pass through functionality exists in other drivers for different NUC models.

Please implement this for us!

JMous
Novice

I just encountered this problem :/

If I knew earlier I wouldn't have bought the NUC from the 1st place

Is it going to get supported in Windows 8.1 any time soon??

Miguel_C_Old
Employee

Hi Jamalm,

The engineers are considering the option but there is no official documentation about new releases on this NUC. We will need to wait a little more.

Regards,

Mike C