Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KAsva
Novice

How to get NUC5CPYH passthrough DTS-HD, Dolby TrueHD Audio?

I am using NUC5CPYH with Windows 8.1 and the latest Intel graphic driver, but it cannot passthrough DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD audio via HDMI to my AV receiver on any programs.

So, are there any ways to get NUC5CPYH passthrough DTS-HD, Dolby TrueHD Audio?

263 Replies
JSkau
New Contributor II

I still refer to the drivers for the N2820 "slip". You gave us the same go-around back then, "Windows HD audio passthrough utilize hardware enabled PAP and the Celeron NuCs just don't have that support" [paraphrasing]. And all it took to enable HD Audio (HBR) bitstream passthrough under Windows, was applying the D34010WYK drivers (presuming Trusted Execution Engine drivers were already installed). Everyone here already know this can be solved by patching the Windows drivers. Just a shame these drivers don't work with the later generation HD Graphics, and thus the Display Audio.

There is no "magical software solution that only works on Linux" - no more than is the case in the prime example above. On linux, it was a matter of patching the original Intel drivers, that were messing with the packet-, thus the channel order for non-PCM compressed (DTS-HD/TrueHD) streams. These are different to uncompressed multichannel PCM streams! Non-PCM compressed streams must -NOT- be channel mapped, but sent "straight through"!. In regards to Windows requirements - the Trusted Execution Engine is there (and working) to satisfy the Windows needs.

Intel HD Audio hardware supports HBR (has done a very long time): http://crashrecovery.org/hdaudio_pdf/HDA035.pdf http://crashrecovery.org/hdaudio_pdf/HDA035.pdf

And please note, to once and for all make sure we're on the same page here: No one here is suggesting Intel enable these units to DECODE HD audio HBR formats. Thats the domain of appropriately licenced equipment. What we're asking here, is that Intel enable HD audio (HBR) bitstream passthrough over HDMI - so that we may pass that bitstream to our external, licenced equipment (AVR).

MPalu
Beginner

I don't know why are you suggesting us that this driver BUG is hardware "feature". As we can see in other threads there were issues with other NUCs like i5 or 2820 but new drivers solved problem.

Everybody knows that hardware IS capable to PASSTHROUGH but it seems that you are trying to downgrade functionality _on purpose_. Would you care to give us real reason why? Stop treat us like idiots or something please.

Chris_V_Intel

Yes we are both employees. I am sorry for the confusion. Engineering is looking into it. Again, I can't promise anything, but at least they're looking.

Bdell
Beginner

Why do we have to go through this again? We have been through this with the n2820 that was eventually fixed. These nucs primarily are designed to run as htpcs not as a desktops, and most of them are hooked to expensive home theater systems to enjoy the best sound .

MArer
Beginner

I hope engieneering will look into it for N3000, N3150 too. We have the same issue.

JSkau
New Contributor II

cvare :

We truly appreciate your input here, and willingness to engage in the issue as far as your capacity goes - and passing it on to those who can look into the elements beyond your capacity. We will be waiting for (hopefully good) news, and thank you for your time and work so far. Truly, it means a lot to users of Intels hardware (and I believe and hope that shows in this and other related threads).

Now guys and gals, I guess we are just going to have to wait to see what comes back down the pipeline from the (driver) engineers. Cvare has done what he/she can for us, for now - and I am sure cvare will let us know as soon as there is something new to tell. If the engineers are looking into it, there's really nothing more to do but wait (?) For now,

Cavaradossi:

The N3000, N3050, N3150 and N3700 share the same Graphics (and Display Audio) driver. The GPUs are pretty much the same, except the number of execution units and burst frequency. This should not affect the Display Audio part, though.

HDamp
Beginner

Dear Intel Team,

what you are doing here with your customers is a joke.

How can it be that a company like intel isn´t able to fix a driver for such a long time?

In an open source community problems like this are mostly fixed within 24 hrs.

Meanwhile i have to ask myself...

Can´t you help us or don´t you want to?

It´s a shame whats going on here....

JMous
Novice

Intel guys!

UPDATE PLEASE!
EStar1
Beginner

I'm a bit late to the party, but I second everyone's comments here.. It totally defeats the purpose of using this(Intel NUC5PPYH) as an HTPC if we can't passthrough/bitstream the HD soundtracks!! (DTS-HD, Dolby TrueHD etc) I have also purchased the NUC5PPYH, and was disgusted to find that it does not passthrough the HD soundtracks. I'm also running Win 8.1 Pro x64, with ALL the latest drivers from Intel and the latest BIOS (0047). And yes, I have a compatible hdmi cable and a compatible AV Receiver...

@Intel - "Intel® High Definition (Intel®HD) Audio via the HDMI v1.4b interface through the processor" is enough to lead most people to believe that the functionality of passing through/bitstreaming of the HD soundtracks should be possible on a unit that is brand new and up to date with the modern technologies of today.. or so we were lead to believe..

Come on Intel, get this resolved! We KNOW the hardware is capable!

idata
Community Manager

cvare wrote:

Hey guys, I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to get this to work in Windows, but first how do you get it to work in Linux?

Thanks

You should be able to reuse the windows drivers that have pass through (only pass through, no decoding) available from other NUC models. I recall that this exact issue was also found in NUC DN2820FYKH, and that this driver issue was solved after several months of forum bashing by displeased owners.

ALore1
Beginner

Hey Guys!,

Intel announced some http://www.anandtech.com/show/9806/intel-introduces-new-braswell-stepping-with-j3060-j3160-and-j3710 new Braswell chips:

Celeron J3060

Celeron J3160

Pentium J3710

Maybe these support official HD-Audio via passthrough?

They have Intel HD 400 and HD 405 Graphics.

JMous
Novice

Unfortunately that does not resolve the problem that people who already bought NUC5CPYH/PPYH can't enjoy taking advantage of their hardware potential

idata
Community Manager

JasonLA wrote:

Hey Guys!,

Intel announced some http://www.anandtech.com/show/9806/intel-introduces-new-braswell-stepping-with-j3060-j3160-and-j3710 new Braswell chips:

Celeron J3060

Celeron J3160

Pentium J3710

Maybe these support official HD-Audio via passthrough?

They have Intel HD 400 and HD 405 Graphics.

Please exclude discussions related to features of other NUCs in this thread.

Purpose of this thread is to get working HD pass through on NUC5 CPYH/PPYH

Bdell
Beginner

I just ordered two of these from new egg to find out HD audio does not work in windows, they are going back for sure. This is a step backwards because my N2820 plays HD audio just fine, in fact i just watched Juarssic world in 3d (42gb iso) without any issues.

mbrow14
Novice

Like another poster already said, I can also attest to the fact that passthrough does indeed work with Linux. Since it works with Linux, it seems to be a software issue and not a hardware limitation. I tested it a couple of months ago with OpenELEC and an Onkyo TX-NR828 AVR. I tried several different modes and all of them worked fine. Here is the post I made in the kodi.tv forum about it:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=229096&pid=2107787&highlight=dd+dts+master# pid2107787 Intel Braswell boxes compilation

KDann1
New Contributor I

This online community is quite disappointing. Customers come here and voice real product defects. I have seen multiple former Intel employees who try to help the best they can here, but then there are the current employees(I'd wager offshored), who seem to do little more than kick the can down the road by mostly posting useless links and needlessly asking customers to do things like BIOS upgrades when release notes indicate no fix for anything remotely close to the customer complaint.

JMous
Novice

"THANK" you Intel for releasing a new driver (15.38.4.4234) that does not address any changes in streaming DTS-HD, Dolby TrueHD in the release notes!!!

JSkau
New Contributor II

Jamalm More importantly, did you test it? I assume they would let us know of any development in this area, thus I assume the issue was not adressed in this driver - yet some changes might not be reflected in the release notes. Wouldn't be the first or last time.

JMous
Novice

Haven't yet, I'm stuck at work.

Will do ASAP.

I would appreciate if others can test it too.

JMous
Novice

Tested on 8.1

Still does not passthrough

JMous
Novice

Another Win8.1 driver was released on 12/31 (15.38.6.4299), couldn't find what were the changes in the release notes on Intel's website.

Also, noticed that the older version (15.38.4.4234) that I've tested last week was dropped from the download section... strange!

I won't be able to test the newer version in the next couple of days, I'd appreciate if someone can test and report back.

Samething with Win10 drivers a new one was released and the older one which was released in parallel to the previous version was dropped as well.