Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KAsva
Novice

How to get NUC5CPYH passthrough DTS-HD, Dolby TrueHD Audio?

I am using NUC5CPYH with Windows 8.1 and the latest Intel graphic driver, but it cannot passthrough DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD audio via HDMI to my AV receiver on any programs.

So, are there any ways to get NUC5CPYH passthrough DTS-HD, Dolby TrueHD Audio?

263 Replies
ALore1
Beginner

future products? This one is launched already: http://ark.intel.com/de/products/95591/Intel-Pentium-Processor-J4205-2M-Cache-up-to-2_6-GHz http://ark.intel.com/de/products/95591/Intel-Pentium-Processor-J4205-2M-Cache-up-to-2_6-GHz

http://ark.intel.com/de/products/95591/Intel-Pentium-Processor-J4205-2M-Cache-up-to-2_6-GHz Intel® Pentium® Processor J4205 (2M Cache, up to 2.6 GHz) Spezifikationen

This sheet says, that this CPU doesn't support InTru 3D... That is a no go for a HTPC... is that true?

idata
Community Manager

We are trying to fix a driver for almost a year so no. if you want a nice, smart, cozy htpc get an AMD. out of the box tru-hd etc.

JSkau
New Contributor II

Mill3r skrev:

We are trying to fix a driver for almost a year so no. if you want a nice, smart, cozy htpc get an AMD. out of the box tru-hd etc.

In principle, alot longer than that - this issue has plagued the whole Celeron NUC range - but this thread is about Braswell. Also note - afaik, this isn't an issue with i3, i5 and i7 NUCs/boards, those have a different version of Intel onboard graphics - thus also display audio. Not sure about the Pentium M range. People looking to aquire a small form factor unit for HTPC these days, can still have HBR passthrough if they go for the i3 and upwards. I'm not suggesting people should buy a more expensive unit just for that, don't get me wrong. But a lot of people want or need a bit more processing power for their NUC than a celeron / pentium M can provide, anyway. Those people should know that the HBR passthrough issue doesn't affect the whole NUC range, just the entry-evel celeron models (again, don't know about Pentium Ms).

AMD may have some good alternatives, I really couldn't say - haven't looked into it. Others are going to have much more insight into that. But for now, personally, I'm gonna give cvare some more time. While us users have have struggled with this issue, and argued with Intel about it for several years, Cvare didn't "come onboard" until fairly recently. Cvare is the only Intel rep that took this case seriously and bothered to look further into it, also with a personal interest. While all other reps have repeated and rehashed the same old tired bs about lacking capacities, IME etc, cvare actually took the time to dive into the proof we've provided, confirmed function and got the ball rolling with engineers and devs. We can only speculate (Intel would never admit that, regardless of fact or not, not in a hundred years) - but c'mon... I see no other reason this was held back/omitted, than market strategy - pushing upsells. Thats not exactly a type of decision made on a tech support or driver development level. If that is the case, there would of course be a significant reluctance from Intel when tech support says "users are reporting this issue, can we fix this?" - as it would not be an "error" but an intentional omission for strategic purposes.

Nontheless, from what cvare has been telling us the last 2-3 weeks, it seems likely that they might actually have been able to either overturn, or work around, that decision. Other long-standing GFX/GPU related issues have gotten some productive attention lately in the driver department, so I've got a good feeling here. Cvare said they'd finally figured out who to turn to to get this sorted out, a couple of weeks ago. Cvare is most likely not from driver development, don't think those guys have much time for community support. So we're gonna have to give those guys a little time to actually code and crank out a driver once this is greenlit and on their plates.

EStar1
Beginner

Look, I'm glad you're trying to see the bright side, I really am. But you are disillusioned my friend. Progress? What progress? It has just been the same message over and over for more than a year now with no real tangible evidence that this is even being worked on. I know I sound like a doom prophet, but after more than a year of empty promises, is it really surprising?

If manages to get this resolved, I will personally buy him a case of beers...

JMous
Novice

ANY UPDATES?!

mmsn
Beginner

Anyone tried with a driver patch mentioned in other topic:

Look for a comment 44.

Chris_V_Intel

Yes.

As you all know, I can't announce anything that isn't ready, but I can say we are so close...

mmsn
Beginner

Bdell
Beginner

Great news guys, i tried this driver listed below and it works on my NUC NUC5CPYH windows 8.1. Thank you intel.

http://4pda.ru/pages/go/%3Fu%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Fdownloadcenter.intel.com%252Fru%252Fdownload%252F...

JMous
Novice

Can you locate this driver on and intel site?

Cause the link is a bit "shady" to say the least.

SRidd
Beginner

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26347/Intel-Beta-Graphics-Driver-Windows-10-Windows-7-8-1-... Download Intel® Beta Graphics Driver for Windows® 10 and Windows 7*/8.1* [15.40]

I haven't tried it yet. The Intel NUC Celerons are not mentioned as supported, so if it works, it's a bit accidental.

Scott

SRidd
Beginner

I can confirm the above driver does NOT work. It will install, and the device shows TrueHD as a supported format, but it will not pass through the signal (my AV system still shows Linear PCM).

Scott

Bdell
Beginner

The driver I listed in my previous post is working great under windows 8.1 using power dvd 15 without any issues. Both my Marantz SR7009 and Harman kardon BDS-577 show HD audio now. Big thank you to cvare for his help getting the issue resolved..

Chris_V_Intel

Can I ask what driver version you're using?

IIgnS
Beginner

Doesn't work. Still PCM...

Bdell
Beginner

check the setting on your media player you are using. I had to change the audio setting on power dvd 15 to get hd audio to work. Good luck

Bdell
Beginner

20.19.15.4539. I attached a picture of the the driver version in post 243.

JMous
Novice

Finally managed to remote access my NUC (I'm away from home for few days)

Installed the driver from here:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26347/Intel-Beta-Graphics-Driver-Windows-10-Windows-7-8-1-... Download Intel® Beta Graphics Driver for Windows® 10 and Windows 7*/8.1* [15.40]

Ran a few tests and I can confirm that both Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD are being recognized by the AV receiver in passthrough mode!

IIgnS
Beginner

My NUC5CPYH connected to Samsung UE48H6400 TV via HDMI 1.4a. TV connected to Samsung HT-F4550 home theatre via HDMI 2.0 + ARC. I can't set TV to use Dolby digital(everything works and tested with same cables and laptop, i can select dolby), but with my NUC - dolby just not active (with same VLC or KODI passthrough settings like on laptop). So.., new drivers still doesnt work for me.

SRidd
Beginner

I went back to re-verify... no dice, HD audio not being passed. Strangely, VLC Player can play Dolby TrueHD tracks (as 3/2 Linear PCM), which I didn't think it could do, as Dolby TrueHD doesn't have a downmixed core (or so I thought), unlike DTS HD, which does.

Scott

JSkau
New Contributor II

Indys skrev:

My NUC5CPYH connected to Samsung UE48H6400 TV via HDMI 1.4a. TV connected to Samsung HT-F4550 home theatre via HDMI 2.0 + ARC. I can't set TV to use Dolby digital(everything works and tested with same cables and laptop, i can select dolby), but with my NUC - dolby just not active (with same VLC or KODI passthrough settings like on laptop). So.., new drivers still doesnt work for me.

Yours is an issue with the Samsung TVs passthrough to the AVR, and proably not the drivers. You could try to go through the "Configure" option for the playback device (right-click system tray speaker icon, then "playback devices"), and see if it can be set up for 5.1 or 7.1 (whatever your setup is). Also go through your TVs settings, look for audio passthrough or something of that sort. As long as your TV is playing back the audio signal (intercepting it), HD audio will not pass through it, on to the AVR.

From your first screenshot - the HDMI connection to your unit is only seeing the TV, not a passthrough option onwards to your AVR. Thats why it is only seeing support for 2(!) audio channels. DD, DD+, DTS, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD:MA, Dolby Atmos etc - all these are 5.1 (6 channels) or more. Hence, not supported for a playback device that tells the NUC it can only do a maximum of 2 channels.

EDIT: If your AVR can do HDMI passthrough, you could try connecting the chain as follows: NUC --> AVR --> TV / Display . Even if this doesn't do as a a long term solution for you, at least you would be able to check wether or not the drivers work for you.