Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KAsva
Novice

How to get NUC5CPYH passthrough DTS-HD, Dolby TrueHD Audio?

I am using NUC5CPYH with Windows 8.1 and the latest Intel graphic driver, but it cannot passthrough DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD audio via HDMI to my AV receiver on any programs.

So, are there any ways to get NUC5CPYH passthrough DTS-HD, Dolby TrueHD Audio?

263 Replies
Chris_V_Intel

Thanks as always to the great help/support you provide Proxen.

JAppl1
Beginner

Why don't the driver relase notes mention support for intel hd 505 (j4205) gpus? Does this mean that the Goldmont/Apollo Lake based cpus will have to wait a year or so for HD audio bitstream support? Please say it ain't so.

ALore1
Beginner

Ich can confirm that the new Apollo Lake chips do support the HD Audio codecs via bitstream

I own the Asrock miniITX Board with j4205.

Chris_V_Intel

I don't know, I don't make the release notes, but as JasonLA has said, it definitely supports Apollo Lake.

JSkau
New Contributor II

As pointed out by JasonLA and cvare, Apollo Lake has support for HBR bitstream passthrough over HDMI. From Apollo Lake onwards, the Celeron range no longer has the stripped-down version of Intel HD Graphics, so these models shouldn't be affected by the issues this thread pertains to. That means out-of-the-box support, thus this particular fix is irrelevant.

AMarc16
Beginner

Hi there,

I have been following this thread for a while, had another peek yesterday and found the good news! Thanks cvare.

However, my device is a Lattepanda board, based on Intel Cherry Trail Atom Z8300, so not exactly the NUC5CPYH mentioned in the thread. I hoped the new feature would work on my board as well but I still haven't got HD formats available.

Do you envisage the chance that HD formats are released for my chipset as well?

Even though I am not one of the lucky ones (yet), thank you for your help on this forum, it's nice - and unusual - to see such nice things from a big company as Intel.

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

The Atom x5-Z8300 is from the same family of processors as is used in the Sterling City ICS (STK1AW32SC, STK1A32SC). [Aside: Note that there is no "chipset", per se, in these designs; they utilize the System-On-A-Chip (SOC) architecture, which combines the processor and chipset-level functionality into a single package.] In theory, any of the Intel driver packages (i.e. SOC, HD Graphics, TXEI) for this ICS should work on your board (presuming that you are running Windows 10). You can find these downloads here : https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/91065/Intel-Compute-Stick-STK1AW32SC Downloads for Intel® Compute Stick STK1AW32SC (32-bit Windows 10 only) and https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/91064/Intel-Compute-Stick-STK1A32SC Downloads for Intel® Compute Stick STK1A32SC (32- and 64-bit Windows 8.1 and 10).

If these processors actually provide support for these features (i.e. Passthrough DTS-HD, Dolby TrueHD Audio - which I am not sure they actually do), the latest drivers for the SC ICS should provide support for it. Try and see.

Hope this helps,

...S

P.S. I should add that your board manufacturer/provider should be your primary source for driver updates. Intel does not validate its drivers on all platforms.

SMar
Beginner

It worked for me! I have my NUC5CPYH connected to my Pioneer Elite SC-71 using Kodi. Played back some Atmos trailers and old DTS-MA demo videos; no problem!

SRidd
Beginner

... and... I need to make a retraction. The problem was with the arcane Windows settings necessary to get passthrough to work. This driver *does* work; verified both DTS Master HD and Dolby TrueHD. Awesome job Intel, even if this was totally unintentional! (maybe the passthrough code was inadvertently inserted into this beta driver by mistake?)

Scott

Chris_V_Intel

You guys are ruining my Christmas present!

I was going to wait until the driver was released officially, but yes, as you can see WE (it wasn't just me, though I knew the people to talk to , you guys kept me on track) got this fixed!!

I realize it took a looooong time, but most of you were very helpful, firm-but kind, and most importantly PATIENT!

I hope you all enjoy your NUCs a little bit more now.

Happy holidays!

EStar1
Beginner

Hello all,

Well. I'll. be. damned. It WORKS!! I can confirm that the new driver works on my NUC5PPYH running Win 8.1. After selecting DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD in the Audio options menu in Plex Media Player, it happily now passes through the HD soundtracks to my Denon AVR.

Thanks for sticking with this cvare, I'll put my hand up and say that yes, I have been one of the IMpatient ones(c'mon it's been a year;)) But I'm also a man of my word and promised you a case of beers if this got resolved. PM sent

This has been such a pleasant surprise, thanks again!

Chris_V_Intel

Hi all, just wanted to let you know that the production version of this driver has FINALLY been released!!

You can grab it here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26682/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-40- Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows* [15.40]

Many happy hours of playing movies to you all!