Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KAsva
Novice

How to get NUC5CPYH passthrough DTS-HD, Dolby TrueHD Audio?

I am using NUC5CPYH with Windows 8.1 and the latest Intel graphic driver, but it cannot passthrough DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD audio via HDMI to my AV receiver on any programs.

So, are there any ways to get NUC5CPYH passthrough DTS-HD, Dolby TrueHD Audio?

263 Replies
KAsva
Novice

I have tested my NUC5CPYH with Windows 10 64 bit today.

Intel® TXE: Intel® Trusted Execution Engine driver 2.0.0.2073 installed : Yes

Intel® Display Audio Driver installed : Yes

Bios trusted enabled : Yes

Showing Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD supported on Playback device properties : NO

Bitstreaming Dolby TrueHD on Kodi : NO

Bitstreaming DTS-HD on Kodi : NO

Bitstreaming Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD on OpenELEC : YES

These are a limit of this NUC model?

Intel dose not say NUC5CPYH dose support TrueHD and DTS-HD in its Technical Product Specification like other NUC5 models.

Appendix

NUC5CPYH Technical Product Specification

NUC5i5RYH (kit), NUC5i5RYK (kit), NUC5i3RYH (kit), NUC5i3RYK (kit) Technical Product Specification

MAlme6
Novice

I'm starting to think that the Technical Product Specification from Intel is just marketing.

This also happened with Baytrail and continues with Braswell.

OSalo2
New Contributor I

What do you mean?

Intel technical product specification does not say that HD Audio is supported for NUC5CPYH and it appears that that is the case, at least when it comes to Windows.

As this works ok in OpenELEC/Linux this means that the hardware is capable of TrueHD/DTS-HD bitstreaming, but Intel has chosen not to implement this in the audio drivers for Windows. But at least they're not claiming that it is supported and then not offering the support...

MAlme6
Novice

If that's the case the Technical Specification should have a note about that.

The technical specification say that the HD Audio is supported by HDMI interface, but doesn't give a word about the drivers.

If only works under Linux and not in Windows, that info should be in the technical specification.

OSalo2
New Contributor I

Did you notice that the quote above was from the technical product specification of another NUC model, not the Braswell NUC that we're talking?

MAlme6
Novice

You're right. Sorry, my bad.

That info is for other models of NUC.

Still, is a strange that HD Audio doesn't work on Braswell in Windows.

For me (and for the complaints i have read, for other people too) this is a reason not to buy this product.

OSalo2
New Contributor I

I agree with you, I'm not seeing any misleading by Intel here but it's lame if they will not offer HD audio bitstreaming for Windows as the hardware clearly is capable. Especially since the box would make such a good media box otherwise.

KAsva
Novice

If i had known this before, I would not have bought this nuc.

Anyway, it is fine to watch movies on OpenELEC. Much easier to install than I expected and using android phone as a remote is awesome.

RMuld1
Beginner

How is it going? Any progress to a solution?

Miguel_C_Old
Employee

Hi,

Please install the latest chipset driver first then, continue with the latest graphics driver available on the link below.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/85254/Intel-NUC-Kit-NUC5CPYH Intel® Download Center

The graphics driver includes the HD Audio.

TNieu
Beginner

I've installed the latest chipset drivers. Followed by the latest Graphics drivers.

All installs without any problem. But when i check supported formats. Stil No DTS-HD-MA or DD-True HD.

I've uninstalled all drivers. Rebooted NUC.

Installed latest chipset. Then latest graphics driver. Rebooted NUC.

But stil nog HD sounds in supported formats.

This is getting frustrated.

How hard could it be to give us some drivers that include DTS-HD MA en DD-True HD.

Miguel_C_Old
Employee

Hi Darkside77,

The highest Audio resolution is provided with the HDMI video port, with a high quality video cable HDMI 1.4b. This is an example of the cable.

http://www.amazon.com/BlueRigger-High-Speed-Cable-Ethernet/dp/B00316263Y/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1440... http://www.amazon.com/BlueRigger-High-Speed-Cable-Ethernet/dp/B00316263Y/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1440...

Regards,

Miguel C
KAsva
Novice

Hi mikec_intel,

Are you an Intel employee? Have your company tested that this NUC model does support HD Audio bitstreaming on Windows?

Any resolutions you gave us is useless and waste our time to try in vain. This also happened with the former Celeron NUC, DN2820, as you can see in many old threads. Intel support in this community gave hope that it would be resolved in next and next and next driver, told customers to try a lot of useless solutions, but there is no official resolution so far.

Ultimately, I would warn who want to buy this NUC model if you need HD bitstreaming audio on Windows, this is not the right choise. No way and no hope for that.

Regards,

TNieu
Beginner

Agreed. If i knew this beforehand i would have bought another PC with the capabilities. Sure i could have done some better research. But still.

Thus far we've ben told to install latest drivers etc. But nothing is helping. There is no official fix, or statement for that matter, for this problem.

And ofcourse i am using correct HDMI cables. I have 4 pair lying around from different manufactures. None are working.
idata
Community Manager

Wasnt this solved on the N2820/N2930 by using a driver intended for some other NUC?

TNieu
Beginner

On those NUC yes.

I have tried drivers from other NUC's as well. They give an error message that they are not intented for my system and i cannot install them.

I can however extract the files and manually install the driver then. It will accept it, But after a reboot the Intel HD sound is gone and i am left with the Realtek Soundriver.

It still really annoying that something so simple does not work.

Will keep trying different drivers, Installs, Bios versions and what not........hoping one day i will listen to DTS HD MA.....

Marvin_L_Intel
Employee

Hello all,

We will do more research and try to work with the engineering team in charge of the product so they can provide us with a better solution or workaround if available, Please be patient since they have other cases to work with and they may need some time to work with this particular one.

Thank you in advance for your understanding on this.

Warm regards,

marving_intel

TNieu
Beginner

That would be great.

Coundting the seconds to a solution: 1.....2......3......4..

Keep us posted

ALore1
Beginner

hey guys!

Any update on this?

Bought my Mum an Asrock N3150DC-ITX for surfing the Internet etc.

Thought of taking this one for a new HTPC. My current setup is based on an AMD E-350 which runs perfectly for fullHD Video.

Now I'm searching for a new setup for 4k Video an HEVC. The new N3xxx CPUs are great for that.

I've got the same problems with DTS MA and Dolby TrueHD. Tried the latest drivers and BIOS, it's not working. Without DTS MA and Dolby TrueHD support, this CPUs are not useful for HTPCs.

I'm not sure if these CPUs supports 3D Video Playback, because intels ARK says: Intel® InTru™ 3D-Technik: no

Miguel_C_Old
Employee

Hi JasonLA,

3D Video Playback is not supported by Braswell processor family. Bear in mind Braswell supports HD pass through but does not support HBR's (High Bitrates).

Regards,

Miguel C
idata
Community Manager

From earlier in this thread:

-----------------------------------------------

Wasnt this solved on the N2820/N2930 by using a driver intended for some other NUC?

Darkside77 wrote:

On those NUC yes.

I have tried drivers from other NUC's as well. They give an error message that they are not intented for my system and i cannot install them.

I can however extract the files and manually install the driver then. It will accept it, But after a reboot the Intel HD sound is gone and i am left with the Realtek Soundriver.

It still really annoying that something so simple does not work.

Will keep trying different drivers, Installs, Bios versions and what not........hoping one day i will listen to DTS HD MA.....

Cvare: Does this help you?