Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KAsva
Novice

How to get NUC5CPYH passthrough DTS-HD, Dolby TrueHD Audio?

I am using NUC5CPYH with Windows 8.1 and the latest Intel graphic driver, but it cannot passthrough DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD audio via HDMI to my AV receiver on any programs.

So, are there any ways to get NUC5CPYH passthrough DTS-HD, Dolby TrueHD Audio?

263 Replies
Cesar_B_Intel
Employee

HelloJamalm

Please try using https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25646/Graphics-Intel-HD-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-... Download Graphics: Intel® HD Graphics Driver for Windows 7*/8.1* for NUC5[x]PY at your earliest convenience and let us know of the results.

Regards,

Caesar B_Intel.

JMous
Novice

Hi Caesae,

I will

Are you an Intel employee?

Cesar_B_Intel
Employee

Hello all,

Please try latest BIOS Version: 0048 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25674/BIOS-Update-PYBSWCEL-86A- Download BIOS Update [PYBSWCEL.86A] and https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25646/Graphics-Intel-HD-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-... Download Graphics: Intel® HD Graphics Driver for Windows 7*/8.1* for NUC5[x]PY and let us know of the results.

Regards,

Caesar B_Intel.

JMous
Novice

Hi cesbadil,

What difference would it make if it does not state that the problem was addressed in the release notes of both graphic driver and BIOS?

Also if you're an Intel employee (as your signature suggests) why can't you test it and release a proper solution that will fix this irritating problem when we already know for sure that the hardware supports the HD audio formats and it's just being crippled by Intel with inappropriate drivers for Windows?!!

Best,

Jamal

idata
Community Manager

Can we really try to fix this. I am also using an N3150 and there is no TrueHd available on windows. Let's make this work, the hardware can do it, your drivers can't.

Cesar_B_Intel
Employee

Hello Mill3r,

Please allow us more time to check on this issue and let you know of the outcome.

Regards,

Caesar B_Intel.

JSkau
New Contributor II

With all due respect, the "issue" has been thorughly tested and confirmed multiple times, its been acknowledged by Intel for years. "Checking on it" doesn't really cut it at this point. From all the technical data available, its clearly a matter of will, to enable this function. And yes, we know this bit is not up to you fine people working support - but you are our link to engineering.

cvare - its been 6 weeks since we last heard anything from you in regards to this. Would you be so kind as to give us an update?

Regards,

Jan

idata
Community Manager

Since we need engineering to mod this driver i fear we will never get it to work.

Here si a reply from support. Tho i never understood why you bother to employ people that have no actual idea about what they are doing. Probably, could be, i suspect and so on shouldnt't be in a customer support representative's language. Furthermore saying that a product clearly does not support a feature and afterwards coming back and saying "it might work, but i don't know why". The first responese clearly states that the Hardware does not have this feature, but when confronted to the fact that it does, they change the approach. Still, you have here an acknowledgement that the HARDWARE supports this feature but the drivers limit this only to I5 and I7. Here are the official Intel responses on this matter:

16 11:45 AMI regret to inform you that the processor you have does not support True-HD audio.

Here you can find the specs of the processor you have:

Audio Features

The Intel® HD Audio Controller supports the following features:

• Supports MSI and legacy interrupt delivery

• Support for ACPI D3 and D0 Device States

• Supports up to:

— 6 streams (three input, three output)

— 16 channels per stream

— 32 bits/sample

— 192 kHz sample rate

• 24 MHz HDA_CLK supports

— SDO double pumped at 48 Mb/s

— SDI single pumped at 24 Mb/s

• Supports 1.5V mode only

• Supports optional Immediate Command/Response mechanism

What happens is that even though it has the 4th gen Intel® graphics controller, it uses the very basic version of the Intel HD graphics controller, which is included in the Celeron processors.

Thanks in advance for your understanding. Please let us know if there is something else that we can help you with or if we can close this case.

It could be a limitation set by our Intel graphics driver since the feature was available for i5 and i7 processors only, and for that reason it works in Linux.

Thanks in advance for your understanding. Please let us know if there is something else that we can help you with or if we can close this case.Reuben1/12/2016 12:21 PMThat keeps me wondering why under linux it does.

Well..thank you for your timeBogdan
idata
Community Manager

Should be expecting someone to hack your driver?. We really need to do that? It's like Creative Labs marketing all over again.

You won't enable this feature of pure marketing and management decisions to push people into buying i5 or i7 chips. Right now i am feeling a bit worried that i opted for an intel chip instead of an AMD one that supports this damn bitstreaming out of the box. And yes, i do have an E1 processor, dualcore, 1.3Ghz that does this just fine. You tell me a quadcore can't handle bitstreaming? That is just rubbish.

JSkau
New Contributor II

This, once again, is incorrect. Its the same grevious misinformation they fed us with the Bay-Trail celerons and so forth. The "very basic" Intel HD Audio hardware with HDMI connectivity, has supported HD (HBR) audio bitstream passthrough - for years. Intel technical documentation from many years back, confirms this (I believe I linked to that white-paper further back in this thread). This by far Includes Bay Trail's Celeron NUCs, of which I'm bitstreaming Dolby TrueHD from Win 8.1 to my AVR - AS WE SPEAK. This with a force-installed older Intel driver for the same-gen i # NUC. Version number for the GFX driver package can be found earlier in this thread.

So to sum up how much BS "These units just simply does not support and cannot deliver HD Audio bitstream (DTS-HD:MA, Dolby TrueHD DD+) passthrough under Windows", is ....

So intel devs, please. You have the code, we all know it works ...come'on now...just fork it up.

Chris_V_Intel

Sorry I have been absent, but the reason why I haven't said anything is because I don't really have an update, or at least not a positive one.

I have been really been pushing this issue, but I'm afraid to little success. As kanasva brought up on the first page, the technical product spec doesn't even ask for the higher quality codecs, so it's a difficult road to get the issue resolved.

I have not given up, and from a former sound engineer, I completely understand the frustration, but it may be a while before we have a fix.

idata
Community Manager

I just wrote to bugbytes AKA Intelli Modder32. Now i am curious, who will fix this first, Intel support, or the freelancers. Looking at the date of this thread, my bet is on the freelancers.

I brought this up earlier, about Creative Labs and the support for drivers. One employee modded the drivers because the Marketing dept decided they need to push newer chips on the market and droped support for the older ones. He was fired for giving customers what they paid for and offering the drivers they needed. Just google Daniel_K. I wonder if this is also the case for intel.

So far, tech support = 0

JSkau
New Contributor II

Mill3r Wang Xingchau, former Intel employee, wrote the HD Audio HDMI HBR bitstream passthrough fix, for Linux (more than two and a half years ago): http://kodi.wiki/view/Intel_Linux_Modifications_for_HD_Audio Intel Linux Modifications for HD Audio - Kodi . Who knows, maybe same story - although that is only speculation.

cvare - its good to hear something, so thank you for the update. Now, once again, I cannot stress enough - and my apologies if I'm starting to sound like a broken record here - we are NOT looking for DECODING capabilities. This would be highly unrealistic, and to the best of my knowledge no consumer GFX card or module as of this date, supports onboard HD Audio decoding of HBR audio (DTS-HD:MA and Dolby TrueHD). What we're fighting for here, is bitstream passthrough - for the Intel HD (Display) Audio of our NUCs to pass on the HBR HD Audio streams untouched - still coded - over HDMI. Decoding is done by external, licenced equipment like our own Audio-Video Recievers, pre-amplifiers, audio processors etc. Pretty much every other HDMI-capable GFX unit on the market does this. It is considered de facto standard, and requires NO public or licenced codecs. The Intel Display Audio module does not decode anything, it just passes the audio stream untouched, on to the next device.

I'm sure the devs already know this - but just in case, and for all our documentation - here is the Intel white paper from 2008, detailing the implementation and configuration of HBR audio capabilities of the Intel HD Audio base modules: http://crashrecovery.org/hdaudio_pdf/HDA035.pdf http://crashrecovery.org/hdaudio_pdf/HDA035.pdf

Thats 8 ( ! ) years ago. This is a core, very basic feature of the module.

Now, if either Intel devs, or some other god-given capable developer would need to retrace steps to figure this out - I would point to the case of the Intel Bay-Trail celeron DN2820FYK(H), which suffered the exactly same fate. Forcing an install of the Intel HD Graphics GFX bundle 10.18.10.3958 on these units (a driver intended for the D34010WYK), had zero graphics issues, but more importantly - it enabled HBR HD Audio passthrough in Windows. The Intel Display Audio driver in that bundle, was/is version 6.16.00.3154. As you can see from the screenshot of my DN2820FYKH running Windows 8.1 pro in a few posts up - this clearly works (cvare - I surely hope we can manage to figure this out. It is most definitely possible - they told us the exact same things regarding incompability with Bay Trail celeron nucs, and I'm watching and listening to hard proof that was a lie (harsh word, but accurate none the less), right now.

Kind regards,

Jan M. / pr0xZen

Chris_V_Intel

Thank you for being kind and appreciative. And yes I realize you're talking about pass-through.

Cesar_B_Intel
Employee

Hello Mill3r,

Thanks for sharing this information.

cvareprovided current update on this issue.

As soon as we have any updates we will post them here.

Regards,

Caesar B_Intel.

JMous
Novice

Any updates?

Cesar_B_Intel
Employee

Hello All,

We are still working on this issue and will keep you updated.

Regards,

Caesar B_Intel.

HDamp
Beginner

come on Intel guys.... don´t you want or can´t you help?

you are really going to shame yourself here.....

mbrow14
Novice

I think that's already a done deal, Hans. It's been well proven that the hardware is capable, but the drivers refuse to allow it for some, as yet unknown, reason. Apparently, this has happened with drivers for previous NUC hardware and they were eventually fixed. Fortunately, I'm running Linux so I'm unaffected by this. This along with the missing power switch header on my NUC5PPYH really gave me a bad taste in mouth for these things. If I buy another mini-pc type device, it will likely not be one produced by Intel. I like their processors and chipsets, but.....

JSkau
New Contributor II

afremont if you do decide to go with a different manufacturer at a later point - just make sure it doesn't contain A) an Intel board, AND/OR B) Intel Display Audio for HDMI audio output. Unless its an i3/i5/i7 board, AFAIK these "work fine". Good reports have come with the mid-level J-series, too. The J1900 had the very same issues as the N2820//N2830/N2930/N3000/N3050/N3150 etc - but the difference is - intel actually fixed the drivers for the J1900. Pretty much every reasoning and every piece of evidence points towards Intel using this "intenionally lamed drivers" apporach, to convince people to NOT buy their very capable Celeron and Pentium M nucs, for HTPC use - but go with the more expensive i3/i5/i7 units instead.

Now folks, please keep in mind - most of the Intel reps here on this board, has no decision making powers over driver development. So don't shoot the messengers,unless they're blatantly lying to you. As unfortunately, a few of them have done repeatedly regarding this ( @mikec_intel and rguevara amongst others. To be fair, I am not 100% certain that rguevara was aware of the "nasty business" and just went with the "official answer", but @mikec_intel has been telling people the hardware can't do HBR passthrough, tons of times after he was made aware of the opposite. As best I can remember, cesbadil and cvare have been reasonable and helpful here to the extent they can help. An update would be great, even if there is no real news - just knowing this hasn't been forgotten or gone to the dustpile yet. But please don't pester them, its hard enough trying to convince Intel devs to change this "policy", lets not lose the interest and cooporation from those few in the Intel support team willing to actually take this on.

HDamp
Beginner

I think the time for excuses is over.... this thread was opened in July 2015.

So after 7 month Intel should be able to speak clear words.

Should i stay or should i go?!?