Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

How to make NUC8I7HNK recognize HDMI audio device

I am experiencing HDMI audio issue on my NUC8I7HNK - it seems from the point of view of the NUC my setup is somehow recognized as video only HDMI device. In my setup the central part is a HDMI switch (Vorke HD41 pro http://www.vorke.com/project/vorke-hd41-pro/) to which all other devices are connected: NUC8I7HNK, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, PS4 as input devices and a soundbar and a projector as output devices. See the attached image of my setup.

Now, it seems that somehow the NUC8I7HNK does not recognize the HDMI switch as an audio device. But the thing is, the HDMI sound works with all other source devices. Also my previous NUC D54250WYK did not have any audio issues with audio when connected to the very same setup. 

In the Windows 10 playback device list all 6 HDMI audio devices are listed as "not connected" as you can see in the attached screenshot. One of them should be listed as connected, depending on which video output is used in the NUC8I7HNK.

I have tried the solutions listed in "HDMI Audio Doesn't Work on Intel® NUC" article (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006796/mini-pcs.html). So I have updated the BIOS, reinstalled the Intel® HD Graphics driver and tried another HDMI cable. Nothing makes the NUC recognize the HDMI audio device. 

Is there anythin I can do to make the NUC8I7HNK recognize the HDMI audio device?

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Highlighted

Hello JN000,

Please run the Intel® System Support Utility to have the details about the drivers installed: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- 

1. Click the menu where it says summary to change to Detailed View. 
  2. To save your scan, click Next and click Save. You can save the file to any accessible location on your computer. 
  3. Please attach the document to the next post. 

Best Regards, 

Abigail G 

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello JN000,

After checking some information about this inquiry I would like to ask you for the following details:

I understand that you mentioned the HDMI sound works with all other source devices. Hence I would like to clarify if when you connect a sound and video device (such as a TV) straight to the HMDI port on the NUC the issue persists? Does the sound come out from the external device?

In this following article, have you checked to set the devices as default playback devices selected on the Windows* Sound Control Panel?

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005656.html

Best Regards, 

Abigail G 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi,

"I understand that you mentioned the HDMI sound works with all other source devices. Hence I would like to clarify if when you connect a sound and video device (such as a TV) straight to the HMDI port on the NUC the issue persists? Does the sound come out from the external device?"

When I connect the HDMI cable straight to a Samsung monitor, I do get sound. So when there is no HDMI switch in between, it seems that NUC is able to recognize a HDMI audio device. But still, it is weird that audio works with all my other devices even with the HDMI switch in between, including the older NUC computer.

"In this following article, have you checked to set the devices as default playback devices selected on the Windows* Sound Control Panel?"

It is not possible to select a HDMI device as default playback device when it is in "Not plugged in" state (even though the video "side" of the same HDMI connection is clearly working). The option is grayed out in the right click menu.

"Please attach the document to the next post."

The requested summary is attached to this post.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello JN000,

Thank you for the response and the information provided.

We are still working on the information that you have provided. But checking your report, I was able to see that you have the graphics driver version 26.20.100.6911 for the Intel® HD Graphics Driver. Which is not the customized driver for the NUC itself. So my recommendation would be to update the driver to the 25.20.100.6519 version that is customized for this NUC model. Here is the link where you can download this driver:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28599/Intel-HD-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-64-bit-for-N...

Also, I would recommend you to check if the Radeon™ RX Vega M Graphics Driver installed is the one customized for the NUC as well. Please use the link below for this download:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28600/Radeon-RX-Vega-M-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-64-b...

Please let me know the outcomes after these installations.

Best Regards, 

Abigail G 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi,

I installed both drivers that you mentioned, but the problem did not go away - all 6 HDMI outputs are still listed as "not connected".

I ran the support utility again after installing the drivers (and rebooting the NUC), the log is attahed to this post.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi Abigail. I was wondering if you had any further instructions on this issue which I am still facing?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi JN000,

We havent been able to figure this out yet but we have a recommendation that may alleviate this situation.

See the attached picture where we've changed some things.

What was changed:

-No more SPDIF

-HDMI OUT of Vorke to the Soundbar IN

-Soundbar OUT to Projector IN

Please let me know the results.

Regards,

Ronny G

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Here is the attachment

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi Ronny.

Thanks for your input in this. I tested with the setup you described. The difference is that I used a Samsung monitor instead of the projector (because I dont have a long enough cable for to reach the projector). With this setup the NUC8I7HNK was able to play sound over HDMI and recognized the soundbar. See the attached picture.

However, this kind of setup is not possible in my case for practical reasons - The soundbar and the projector are obviously positioned in the opposite sides of the room. I would have to run a 5 meter cable to the soundbar, and then at least a 15 meter cable back to projector in the same tube I have below the floor (which is already full of wiring) and inside the wall.

But I hope this test aids the investigation why NUC8I7HNK doesnt work in my original setup with the SPDIF when NUCD54250WYK (and all the game consoles) do.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello JN000,

I have been looking into this issue from any possible angle and I cant find a particular reason why D54250WYK worked on this scenario and NUC8i7HNK does not. I guess the main reason is that the hardware is different which may imply multiple variables but also the Operating System was probably different e.g. Windows 7* or Windows 8.1* vs Windows 10*.

Unfortunately, I don't have any other recommendation at this point different than the configuration I recommended before that we know works but difficult to accomplish due to cabling.

Regards,

Ronny G

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Thanks for the answer Ronny.

The operating system on the D54250WYK  was also Windows 10, so that does not explain the issue.

This is very unfortunate, I would have not expected such issues from NUC8i7HNK that is double the price of what D54250WYK  was =(

Is there not any way to force the audio to SPDIF connector on driver level etc?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello JN000,

In this case, the driver has been designed to work as we have mentioned before, this can not be modified or forced work with the SPDIF.

Best Regards, 

Abigail G 

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I did one more test - I added a HDMI SPIDF splitter (like this one https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71oVv0nPwQL._SX466_.jpg) between HDMI switch and the projector to see if the HDMI switch somehow directed the audio to the HDMI out instead of its audio out connector in case of NUC8i7HNK. But I did have no luck, there was no audio. With consoles e.g. Xbox One the audio worked again.

So all in all it seems that no matter what I do, I just cannot get the NUC8i7HNK HDMI audio working when it is connected through an HDMI switch. Has anyone reading this thread successfully used a HDMI switch with NUC8i7HNK (or similar NUC) and had HDMI audio working?

0 Kudos