Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Polarspan
New Contributor I

How to manually downgrade BIOS version 0062 (non functional but doesn't selfcheck the NUC the compatibility before flashing?) to 0055 (last functional version) on my NUC6i7KYK (Win 10 Pro 64Bit)??

Jump to solution

0 Kudos
1 Solution
LeonWaksman
Super User
  1. Can you explain why you want downgrade your Bios and what you mean by saying "non functional but doesn't selfcheck the NUC the compatibility before flashing?" ?
  2. Due to the Intel ME firmware update in BIOS version 0062, you can’t downgrade to version 0061 or earlier. 
  3. If the version 0062 is not working, try to update the bios again, but this time using recovery method with the Yellow Security Jumper removed:
  4. Prepare USB stick fully formatted to FAT32 with Bios file KY0062.bio https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28793/BIOS-Update-KYSKLi70-86A-?product=89187 . Format your USB with Quick Format option unchecked. Do not format your USB in MAC (OS) or Linux machine. Use Windows.
  5. Disconnect the power adapter and remove the bottom panel from your NUC.
  6. Remove the Yellow Bios Security Jumper. See page 38-40 Technical Product Specification https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/boardsandkits/NUC6i7KYK_TechProdSpec.pdf
  7. Insert the USB with the KY0062.bio file.
  8. Reconnect the power adapter and power ON the NUC. Wait 30 sec - 2min. The Recovery process will start automatically and will end after 2 -5 minutes.
  9. When bios recovery is completed, switch the power OFF, remove the power adapter and replace the Security Jumper (pins 1-2) . Reinstall the bottom panel.
  10. Power your NUC ON.
  11. Enter Bios setting by pressing F2 during boot process.
  12. Press F9(followed by "Y"), to set Bios to default settings. Press F10 (followed by "Y"), to save the settings and exit to O.S. Let the NUC fully reboot.

Leon

View solution in original post

7 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User
  1. Can you explain why you want downgrade your Bios and what you mean by saying "non functional but doesn't selfcheck the NUC the compatibility before flashing?" ?
  2. Due to the Intel ME firmware update in BIOS version 0062, you can’t downgrade to version 0061 or earlier. 
  3. If the version 0062 is not working, try to update the bios again, but this time using recovery method with the Yellow Security Jumper removed:
  4. Prepare USB stick fully formatted to FAT32 with Bios file KY0062.bio https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28793/BIOS-Update-KYSKLi70-86A-?product=89187 . Format your USB with Quick Format option unchecked. Do not format your USB in MAC (OS) or Linux machine. Use Windows.
  5. Disconnect the power adapter and remove the bottom panel from your NUC.
  6. Remove the Yellow Bios Security Jumper. See page 38-40 Technical Product Specification https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/boardsandkits/NUC6i7KYK_TechProdSpec.pdf
  7. Insert the USB with the KY0062.bio file.
  8. Reconnect the power adapter and power ON the NUC. Wait 30 sec - 2min. The Recovery process will start automatically and will end after 2 -5 minutes.
  9. When bios recovery is completed, switch the power OFF, remove the power adapter and replace the Security Jumper (pins 1-2) . Reinstall the bottom panel.
  10. Power your NUC ON.
  11. Enter Bios setting by pressing F2 during boot process.
  12. Press F9(followed by "Y"), to set Bios to default settings. Press F10 (followed by "Y"), to save the settings and exit to O.S. Let the NUC fully reboot.

Leon

View solution in original post

Polarspan
New Contributor I

Hi and thanks for the fast answer!

I HAVE to downgrade because I got at least two problems with this version: First I regularly get now error codes from Norton Internet security to reinstall complete Norton which I did once but didn't solve the problem. Secondly at the login window after restarting the NUC inside the password section the NUC starts "autotyping" (**************…….) something on its own which I manually have to stop and clear (backspacing) before typing in my own password. BOTH are things I didn't see resp. notice all the time I used 0055 BIO Version, and this was quite long. So I correlate this to the new BIOS (because I haven't updated other stuff) and thats why I wanna downgrade to the last functional version. Besides "0062" is assigned to the NUC6i/KYK but another INTEL site says latest version for the NUC6i7KYK is "0055". Confusing.

LeonWaksman
Super User
  1. You may try to use the recovery method to downgrade your Bios to version 0055, however according to Release Notes you can't downgrade bios from version 0062. It will not work.
  2. Next time if you are going to update bios again, delete your password first.
  3. Now try to delete password from Configuration Menu:
  4. Remove the Yellow Security jumper and power ON your NUC. Do not insert the USB with .bio file into USB port.
  5. After about 30 seconds, NUC should boot into Configuration Menu. Press [2] to clear Bios and supervisor passwords.
  6. Press ESC to Normal Boot.

Leon

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

It's unclear to me how you are making this correlation. Norton Internet Security is isolated to the Windows environment and should have nothing to do with BIOS. It is more likely that an automatic update being made to Windows is responsible for this issue. Secondly, if this "autotyping" that you are seeing is occurring at the Windows login prompt, then I find it difficult to say that this has anything to do with the BIOS as well.

Leon is correct; you're not going to be able to go back to BIOS 55. Reinstalling the current BIOS using the jumper-based BIOS Recovery process is a good idea, however. It ensures that all firmware is reinstalled regardless of what is there presently. After doing this, you should always do the following:

1. At BIOS POST Splash Screen, use F2 key to enter BIOS Setup (Visual BIOS)
  2. Use F9 key (followed by Y) to reset the BIOS configuration.
  3. Use F10 key (followed by Y) to save the configuration and exit BIOS Setup.
  4. At BIOS POST Splash Screen, again use F2 key to enter BIOS Setup.
  5. Make any changes that you require (boot order, etc.) or than you desire (reset NUMLOCK, etc.) in the BIOS configuration.
  6. Use F10 key (followed by Y) to save the configuration and exit BIOS Setup.
  7. Test.

Hope this helps,

...S

Polarspan
New Contributor I

Hi Scott & Leon,

thanks for your inputs and support!

Scott you're right if you post you cannot see any connex between BIOS and Login prompt resp. Norton IS. I do not understand his as well. Fact is that I ONLY updated BIOS manually and after I had (saw at least) these 2 problems. Sorry.

The other thing is that both versions (0055, 0062) are listed as latest versions for the NUC6i7KYK somewhere on the Intel web sites.

If I remember right 0055 was the latest official release for Win 10 Pro 64 Bit and 0062 was the latest UNIVERSAL official release.

So this was confusing me additionally and that was the reason why I thought I have to downgrade to 0055 again because I'm using Win 10 Pro 64Bit...………

But if you guys say that there cannot be any connex between the BIOS and my Windows observations / problems AND 0062 is definitely ok for the NUC6i7KYK W10Pro64bit I'll reinstall the 0062 BIOS as suggested by you and keep updating if my problem got solved this way.

Could last some days because I'm not at home but I'll reply to this chat as soon as possible.

Thanks and BR,

Klaus.

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

You need to understand that that may have been the only things that YOU did, but that's not the whole picture. Unless you have hacked Windows 10, then is it automatically updating drivers and software on a regular basis. I believe that it is one (or more) of these automatic updates that is responsible for what you are seeing.

All that announcement stuff is nothing but crap that you should ignore. There is one latest BIOS and that is that. Everything that has happened is explained in the Release Notes for this latest BIOS. I have this BIOS installed on my KY and it is running just fine for me.

...S

Polarspan
New Contributor I

BIOS version 0062 reinstalled according your guidelines.

So far no problems, neither with NORTON IS nor with the Windows login prompt :-)

Problem solved i guess.

Thanks a lot for the perfect support and your advices,

BR from Austria, Klaus.