Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

How to play audio at 88.2 and 176.4 sample rates via WASAPI and AVR/HDMI

I have an Intel NUC 10th Generation (NUC10I5FNH) which I am using as my media centre to play music in different formats, from CD redbook to stereo and multichannel hi-res.

I can play with no issues the following formats, 16bit and 24 bit in 44.1/48/96/192, stereo (2.0), quad (4.0 and 4.1) and multichannel (5.0, 5.1 and 7.1). For some reason, I cannot play any file with these sample rates: 88.2 and 176.4.

I am using both Kodi and Foobar 2000, and am taking advantage of WASAPI (event, for Foobar). There is no sound coming out of the speakers but it seems the software is trying to read those files. It's like it is so slow that it cannot progress at all.

My bios is up to date, and I have tested the last graphics driver (GFX_Win10_64_26.20.100.8141). Audio driver is also up to date. I am connecting to a Denon AVR x6400h via HDMI (CEC both on and off, it doesn't make a difference).

I can see in the advanced options of my audio card that 88.2 and 176.4 are supported and are available from the drop down menu. It's curious they don't work.

Many thanks,

Alberto

0 Kudos
21 Replies
Highlighted

Hello APugn,

Thank you for posting on the Intel* Community Forums.

Please, provide me with the following information:

• Clear steps to reproduce this issue. Please try to include pictures or a video.

Please run the following tool in Windows* and attach the report generated. 

Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) 

• Intel® SSU Download
  • Open the application and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View". 
  • Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View". 
  • To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save". 

Best regards,

Maria R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Dear Maria R.,

Please download attached snapshots and SSU report at this link, available for 7 days: https://we.tl/t-gNKGRZcU9J

To reproduce the issue:

1) Get an Intel NUC 10th Gen (NUC10I5FNH) and see attached SSU report for hardware details.

2) Connect the NUC to a Denon AVR x6400h via HDMI (or any last generation Denon AVR). Also connect the Denon AVR to a TV, in my case a 2012 LG TV, via HDMI.

3) Install Windows 10 64bit Pro and all critical updates.

4) Update the NUC bios to the latest version and disable HDMI CEC (even though this should not make any difference)

5) Install the latest Intel Graphics Driver (GFX_Win10_64_26.20.100.8141)

6) Enter the Sound options (either via taskbar or Control Panel/Sound), select the AVR as default device and configure it in 7.1 Then, double click on it. In the advanced tab, select 24bit, 192000 Hz (Studio Quality). Allow exclusive mode (tick both boxes).

NUC Snapshot 01 - Windows Audio Settings1.JPG

NUC Snapshot 02 - Windows Audio Settings2.jpg

SOFTWARE

The problem can be reproduced with both "Kodi" and "Foobar2000" as audio players, which use WASAPI (exclusive or shared mode).

With KODI:

1) Install Kodi v18.6 Leia (Link here: https://kodi.tv/download)

2) In settings, audio:

- audio output device: WASAPI HDMI DENON-AVRHD 3- Intel Display Audio

- Number of Channels: Select 7.1

- Output configuration: Best Match

- Resample quality: high

- Audio Passthrough: yes

- Passthrough Audio Device: WASAPI HDMI Denon…

- Tick all the passthrough codecs (Dolby, DTS, etc.)

See snapshots below:

NUC Snapshot 04 - Kodi Audio Settings1.jpg

NUC Snapshot 04 - Kodi Audio Settings2.jpg

3) Load in the media library any stereo or multichannel audio file with the following resolution 24bit/88.2 or 24/176.4. I have played Neil Young’s On the Beach at 24/176.4, which can be purchased from his online store (https://nya.orastream.com/ ). I have also played rips of my SACDs at 24/88.2, e.g. Dire Straits’ Brothers in Arms, etc.

Playing any of these files should result in no sound coming out of the speakers, and the elapsed time of the song stays at 0:00. See snapshot below:

NUC Snapshot 05 - Kodi Not playing 24-88.2.jpg

NOTE: the snapshots above display Kodi with an Aeon MQ8 Skin installed. The problem will present also with the standard Kodi skin.

With FOOBAR2000:

1) Install Foobar2000 (Link here: https://www.foobar2000.org/)

2) Under File, Preferences, Playback, Output: Select WASAPI (event or push) DENON-AVRHD. Select audio format: 24bit

NUC Snapshot 03 - Foobar2000 preferences.JPG

3) Under Library, Media Library, Music Folders, add a source with the 88.2 or 176.4 files mentioned above, and play them.

Same problem as above, with silent output. See snapshot below playing Neil Young's On the Beach at 24/176.4. (I'm using a skin called Dark One, but the problem is definitely not skin related):

NUC Snapshot 03 - Foobar2000 playing 176.4 no sound.JPG

Many thanks,

Alberto

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

@MariaR_Intel​ Please note the wetransfer links are only available for 7 days. Hope you'll get a chance to look into this.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello APugn,

Thank you for all the information. I have the files now.

We will look into this and posting back in this thread once an outcome is available.

Best regards,

Maria R.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello APugn,

Thank you for patiently waiting. We are still looking into this thread, can you please confirm the following information:

• Is it possible to test the audio output without the AVR?
  • Does the issue persist with different media players? if so please provide details.

Best regards,

Maria R.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Thank you MariaR_Intel.

Unfortunately, I don't have another HDMI capable device to test my NUC audio via WASAPI. Given the current lock down it's also difficult to borrow one from colleagues and friends, sorry. I have tried the headphone jack, but that's only capable of 48kHz. I have also tested a Chord Mojo USB DAC via WASAPI and ASIO, but that one uses a separate driver.

I can confirm however that I have used another Intel PC with my AVR, as I have a Lenovo W541, and I don't have any issues with my laptop which plays any bit depth and sample rate, including 24/88.2 and 24/176.4, both in stereo and surround. Given the received works with other PCs, I am still inclined to think there might be a bug in the driver. Is there an older stable driver I can test? Any other suggestions?

Many thanks for your support,

Alberto

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello APugn,

Thank you for the new information.

We will continue looking into this and posting back in this thread once an outcome is available.

Best regards,

Maria R.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi APugn,

I am a bit late to the conversation so please correct me if I am wrong: is the problem reported here that the system is not playing Not able to play sample rates: 88.2 and 176.4 Hz via HDMI?

If I captured this correctly please refer to the TPS https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/intel-nuc/NUC10i357FN_TechProdSpec.pdf page #13

ProcessAudio.png

Let me know if this answers your question of if you need further assistance.

Regards,

Ronny G

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Thanks @Ronny_Intel​  for the link. The problem is not being able to play music files (stereo and multichannel) at those sample rates (88.2 and 176.4), so you're right.

Unfortunately, the link is not answering to my question and is not solving my problem. In fact, your datasheet states that my NUC is capable of playing audio up to 192kHz/24bit, 8 channels via HDMI. This includes 88.2 and 176.4 sample rates.

I am aware of friends who have 8th Gen NUCs which can play with no issues those sample rates, and the problem is not my receiver which plays those sample rates.

Could you please confirm whether 88.2 and 176.4 are no longer supported by this NUC or there is a driver issue/bug? Are you able to replicate the issue I'm reporting here?

Thank you,

Alberto

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

@Ronny_Intel​ , just adding to my message above, I forgot mentioning that 88.2 and 176.4 show up as sample rates in the 'Supported formats' tab under sound properties for my AVR. It's not visible in any of the snapshots above but you should have my SSU report for more details. I would love to test my machine with a different Intel Graphics driver to confirm if that's the problem. Hope you'll release a new driver soon. Let me know your thoughts.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi APugn,

Let me do some more research and I will get back to you.

Thanks,

Ronny G

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Dear @Ronny_Intel​ ,

I'm following up on your last message. Please let me know if you have any updates on this issue.

Regards,

Alberto

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi Alberto,

We have done some testing with the same Intel NUC, a 4K SONY* display, and a Yamaha* RX-A1050 AVR.

These were the findings:

• When connecting the NUC to the 4K MONITOR (without AVR) we were able to play 192KHz without issues.
  • When connecting the NUC/YAMAHA AVR/4K MONITOR we did not see any issues playing 192KHz when using KODI*. For this, we used a sample sound file we found online.

I understand that the issue is not when playing 192KHz sample rates, your report is mainly for sample rates: 88.2 and 176.4 KHz but these should be a subset of 192KHz, in other words, if the system plays 192KHz sample rates, it should be capable of playing 88.2 and 176.4 KHz.

Is it possible that you provide me with a sample file that I could use for testing?

Regards,

Ronny G

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi @Ronny_Intel​ ,

Thank you. This is the link to download a 24/88.2 multichannel flac, and a 24/176.4 stereo flac (the link will expire in 7 days):

https://www.dropbox.com/t/yetwNua25WISdFPn

Please note I can play with no issues 192kHz files. The problem is only limited to 88.2 and 176.4. Also, my NUC is connected to the AVR to be able to play hi-res and surround files, it's not connected to the tv directly. I use WASAPI exclusive mode in Kodi, do not use direct sound.

Please let me know how it goes.

Kind regards,

Alberto

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi Alberto,

I have the audio files, thank you for sharing those, We will try to replicate this issue but this may take extra time due to Covid-19 situation and access to our Issue Duplication Labs.

We tested the following sample files "High Definition Frequency Sweeps" from this website:

https://www.audiocheck.net/testtones_highdefinitionaudio.php Can you also run some testing and provide back your results?

Also, can you play the frequency/bit rate that you want when connected directly to the TV, and what happens if you use a different application?

Thanks,

Ronny G

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi @Ronny_Intel​ ,

I have tried the "High Definition Frequency Sweeps" files from the link above. Please note these files are mono and 16bit. I can play: 16/88.2, 16/96, 16/192. I cannot play 16/176.4.

My sample files are instead 24 bit. In that case, i cannot play 24/88.2 and 24/176.4.

I can also confirm that the problem is not only Kodi related. The issue persists if I play 24/88.2 and 24/176.4 via Foobar2000 or another hi-res player that uses Wasapi via HDMI. See also my original post above.

I would love to test my TV but - like most TVS - it is only capable of 16/48 via HDMI and Wasapi. I won't be able to test the problematic sample rates when connecting the NUC directly to my TV. Also I am only using my NUC via the AVR, because that's the only device that allows me to play stereo and surround files at those resolutions.

I hope this helps anyway.

Looking forward to hearing back from you. My hope is that a driver update could fix the issue. Friends with older NUC models (7th and 8th generation) don't experience this issue.

Kind regards,

Alberto

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

@Ronny_Intel​ ,

Hello, I am writing to know if there are any updates on this case. I understand your work might be slowed down my the pandemic. I can wait but would also like to get this sorted, given it's been going for quite a while.

Thank you,

Alberto 

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi APugn,

We are conducting an in-depth analysis of this report since we observed mixed results in our testing, this may take some additional time, perhaps around 2 or 3 weeks.

We will get back to you as soon as we hear news from the product team working on this issue.

Regards,

Ronny G

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi @Ronny_G_Intel ,

thanks for the update.

I'm still experiencing this issue, so I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Regards,

Alberto 

0 Kudos