Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Novice

How to replace CMOS battery on Skull canyon NUC6i7KYK?

Hello.

Yesterday i was bought Intel Skull canyon NUC6i7KYK. I set up BIOS settings (date and time), but every time after power off i get CMOS warning and clock reset to default time. It seems like CMOS battery error or it is discharged.

I tried to get to the back of the motherboard, but it really hard. Seriously, who came up with the idea of placing the battery in such a hard-to-reach place?

Anyway, are there any instructions or videos how to disassemble NUC6i7KYK to replace CMOS battery. I really do not want to contact the service center and wait a week or two for such nonsense.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Super User

Re: How to replace CMOS battery on Skull canyon NUC6i7KYK?

I am unable to find the information needed in the NUC technical specification as the document appears to be in error.

I have reported this. Please wait for confirmation or further information.

Doc

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Hello,

Here you will find instruction how to replace the CMOS battery:https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/000006787.html CMOS Battery on the Intel® NUC . And yes, it is quite complicated, since you need to remove the board from the case - the battery is located on the board upper site. Following the Intel's instructions, you can do this by your self (without waiting for service center).

You need a coin-cell battery (CR2032). You need battery with pig-tile and connector. This is example of such battery: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-CMOS-Battery-CR2032-For-HP-Pavilion-DV6000-DV6100-DV6200-DV6300-DV6500-DV9... 1 CMOS Battery CR2032 For HP Pavilion DV6000 DV6100 DV6200 DV6300 DV6500 DV9000 | eBay . There is a lot other suppliers online.

I'm attaching an image of the board side with the CMOS battery.

Hope this will help

Leon

Highlighted
Novice

This is wrong instruction. I mean it is for other NUCs (in square box). NUC6i7KYK is like this:

I took off all the screws from both sides, but couldn't to pull out motherboard and cooler from the metal plate.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Retired Employee

Remove 3 screws holding down heatsink/blower unit and 4 screws holding down board. Carefully pry up front edge of board along front panel edge.

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

How to do that without damage?

I remove all 7 screws from fan and motherboard, but something else holds them. I only can lift a bit fan from one side.

What should be removed earlier, fan or motherboard? I see some wires at top side (under face plate):

What must i do with them? Wifi-module are soldered.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Retired Employee

Don't remove top cover. As I said, gently pry along front edge of board (to free it from connector openings). The board and heatsink/blower unit flip up as a set. Do not disconnect antenna leads; there should be enough play in the leads for you to access and unplug the battery from the board without doing so - if you are careful.

To be safe, wait 15 minutes before plugging the new battery in. Make sure battery is struck to board where old one was. Then, gently push the board and heatsink/blower unit back down into place and then reinsert the 7 screws. Put the bottom plate back on and you are done.

I am serious, don't remove more than the 7 screws and don't disconnect the antenna leads. If you do, you are multiplying the work necessary.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos