Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

How to stop charging with type-c/thunderbolt port when NUC is power-off?

My device is NUC8I5BEH,I tried to stop charging with thunderbolt port when the NUC is off,but I don't know how to make it.Because I'm using an EGPU device,when I power-off the NUC,EGPU's PSU fans still work,because the thunderbolt type was still charging.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
Highlighted
Super User

I don't have NUC8i5BEH to verify this, however you may try this: In Bios Advanced > Devices > USB, set Portable Device Charging Mode to OFF.

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Thankyou for answering my question,I'v tride your advice ,but didn't work it only affect front yellow type-A port

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I knew what's the problem ,I set as you said,it doesn't work ,even the front yellow type-A port still provide charging when NUC is off,how can I fix it?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

I'm not sure if this will work, however try it:

In Bios Advanced > Power > Secondary Power Settings enable Deep S4/S5. This will enable deep sleep and will affect also wake up capabilities.

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

OK,I will try.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I have tried,it worked ,but just yellow type-A front port,thunderbolt port still provide power in deep s4/s5 states mode

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello 勇焦000,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.  

This is expected by design. USB power will be provided by the USB port even if the unit is powered off. In BIOS as LEON indicated, you can enable or disable Portable Device Charging Mode, but it will cause the unit to either provide extra power during S4/S5 sleep states or not. I will share your feedback with the appropriate team for future consideration.

Best regards,

Adrian M.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello 勇焦000,

We were further investigating this case, we haven't been able to reproduce this behavior, would you mind to check with your device vendor, whether there is any firmware fix (update), like the one on the link below?

https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Graphics-Card/GV-N1080IXEB-8GD/support#support-dl-firmware

Please provide the model of your eGPU, the example above is for Gigabyte and their Gaming Box had this issue which got fixed with the new firmware release.

Also, please install the latest Thunderbolt™ 3 Legacy Driver for Windows® 10 for Intel® NUC.

Note:

Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third-party endorsement of Intel or any of its products is implied. 

Best regards,

Adrian M.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Thank you for your answer.My eGPU is Gigabyte GAMINGBOX 1080,I have updated my eGPU firmware and my Thunderbolt™ 3 Legacy Driver to the lasted version.But didn't work.Now,the problem is when I power-off my NUC8I5BEH,type-c port still provide charging power,and I tried a lot in BIOS ,couldn't shut it down,could you please tell me how to stop thunderbolt/type-c port charging in s5 mode?Thank you so much!
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello 勇焦000,

Thank you for your response.

Please run the following tool and attach the report generated. 

1. Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) 

• Intel® SSU Download link 
  • Open the application and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View". 
  • Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View". 
  • To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save". 

Best regards,

Adrian M.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello 勇焦000,

Were you able to check the previous post? 

Let me know if you need more assistance. 

Best regards,

Adrian M.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello 勇焦000,

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this inquiry. If you need further assistance, please post a new question. 

Best regards,

Adrian M.

0 Kudos