Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Novice

How to update HDMI firmware without Windows?

Jump to solution

I installed a Debian distribution on BOXNUC8i5BEH2, everything was well for four days until it froze with a general protection fault.

I then updated the BIOS and set only one thread per core, just to be easier on the CPU. I would also like to update the HDMI firmware, but I read it can only be done from inside Windows10.

I would like instruction to update the HDMI firmware without the need to buy and install Windows10.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User

You may need, as a temporary solution, to have just a basic W10 setup on a spare drive. You can get by without a license key, just to do this. Or, if you have a W7 or W8.x key available, you can activate W10. It might be useful to keep such a setup just for issues like this.

And, as you know, Linux is not supported on your NUC:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005628/intel-nuc.html

There is a troll on the forum who will object to my saying that, but facts are facts.

Doc

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Highlighted
Super User

You may need, as a temporary solution, to have just a basic W10 setup on a spare drive. You can get by without a license key, just to do this. Or, if you have a W7 or W8.x key available, you can activate W10. It might be useful to keep such a setup just for issues like this.

And, as you know, Linux is not supported on your NUC:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005628/intel-nuc.html

There is a troll on the forum who will object to my saying that, but facts are facts.

Doc

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Novice

Thank you for the information about installing WIndows10 without a licence, I'll try that as soon as possible.

And no, I did not know that Linux is not supported on NUC8i5BEH2, thanks for pointing me to that list.

I have to say that I did not expect certification for Linux, but I supposed that an Intel product would have enough support for Linux as to not show serious problems. Too optimistic?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Update: I managed to install Windows10 without a licence. For some reason it wouldn't install on m2, but only on sata. Anyway, the hdmi driver appears to be already the latest version. So either it was already updated or the BIOS update managed it. Anyway, it has run flawlessly since BIOS update with hyperthreading disabled (from the BIOS). Now I have reenabled hyperthreading

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Glad you have it working.

Doc

0 Kudos