Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rdomi4
Beginner

I am told that the "Intel Driver & Support Assistant" window says 1 software update is available, but the Express BIOS update doesn't work when I use it.

trying to update from BIOS version 0063 to 0072 on my NUC 7i5BNH ([BNKBL357.86A]) using Windows 10 Pro version 1803.

nothing seems to work

• Intel DSA gives the message 'update failed'
  • double clicking on the .msi file itself
  • downloading BN0072.bio onto a FAT32 formatted USB and through power model either trying to upgrade the bios or recover the BIOS just does nothing
  • N.B. I restored the BIOS to its default settings prior to all of these interventions

in all cases, nothing really seems to happen, no error messages (except in the DSA), the NUC just reboots. have updated BIOS normally through the DSA in the past

thanks for support!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

• Open Windows settings > Date & Time and change temporary, Time zone to Pacific time (US & Canada). Now try manually to install your .msi file

OR

• Extract the .msi file (this is archive) and run the .exe installer found in the extracted archive. The bios will be installed.

Leon

rdomi4
Beginner

thanks for the response. sadly both options make no difference, in both cases I load the bios updater exe file, click to restart and update, and the NUC just switches off and starts up as normal

LeonWaksman
Super User

While updating bios with .bio file, your USB should be fully formatted to FAT32 in Windows. Do not format your USB in Linux or MAC.

Leon

rdomi4
Beginner

yes, thanks, I saw that advice in another post. confirmed that it was fully formatted to FAT32 using Windows

rdomi4
Beginner

in device management/firmware I see BN0072 with device status 'this device cannot start. (Code 10)'

rdomi4
Beginner

bizarre - solved using the F7 update method, using same USB flash drive .bio file that failed to install using the power button method...

PWols1
Beginner

I have two NUCs, one with Win10 Home, the other Win10Pro. For two weeks before the end of the year I had this same problem with the ​said BIOS update that repeatedly "failed to install", but all the other Intel driver updates installed fine. I then went away for a few days returning to the same notification ("1 Intel Update available").

Yesterday, I first updated Windows (took me an hour to complete). I was again prompted by the same "1 Intel update available" notification message. Oddly, I could not proceed via the Intel Driver and Support Update Utility Icon which appeared inactive. I then Googled "Intel Updates" and found the relevant web page. That then invited me to reinstall the Intel Driver and Support Tool. It scanned my system and invited me to install the half a dozen new drivers AGAIN (with two NUCs that took some while). It left only the Bios Update.

I​ downloaded the Bios Update as before and it again responded "failed to install" (just as before). However, I rebooted and this time the Bios auto-updated itself (no key press of F7 required). It was as though Windows and the Intel drivers wanted to be installed in a specific order (the Windows Update first). I repeated this with my second NUC and that was identical. P​rior to this I had a problem with my astronomy camera drivers. After an earlier Windows Update they too had ceased working and I had to reinstall them. All is now fine and up to date, and the tip I offer is try updating Windows first before updating Intel Drivers as it seems to clear the path to permit the Intel Updates to install.