Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PGros2
Novice

I am wondering if other folks have this issue. When I open Device Manager the window contents flicker steadily. This also occurs on a second system here.

There is a web site that asks me to check if Task manage also flickers, but it does not and that page then concludes an App is causing the problem, it names three common Apps, one of which I use - iCloud - to share files and other tasks with my iPad and iPhone X. (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12374/windows-10-troubleshoot-screen-flickering)

Is this a common issue out there in the wild? Is there a fix, or is this something Microsoft, Intel and Apple are working on to fix in an upgrade-to-come?

To me it is not a serious matter, but a minor irritation leaving the feeling that somewhere a coder missed the mark, so what else did he/she miss?

This problem occurs on two Intel NUC8i7HVK systems which have AMD Radeon™ RX Vega M GH graphics chips, but not on an Intel NUC6i7KYK system. This points to a problem with these graphics chips, their drivers, or associated software.

Anybody have any ideas?

0 Kudos
25 Replies
Amy_C_Intel1
Employee

Hello PGros2, Thank you for posting on the Intel® Communities. Which applications flicker? Let us know the graphics driver versions installed. Amy C Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
PGros2
Novice

The whole “Device Manager” screen flashes/flickers. On the “Display” screen, the two entries “Resolution” and “Orientation” flash/flicker. I have attached the Detailed System Report just saved which gives you all the drivers, etc. Thank you for helping. I also have a NUC6i7KYK which does NOT have this problem.
Amy_C_Intel1
Employee

I do no see the file. Please, double check if it is attached. Amy C Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
PGros2
Novice

3 attachments.
PGros2
Novice

Device Manager flashing 1.jpgDisplay Screen flashing 2.jpg

Amy_C_Intel1
Employee

Thank you. Can you please make sure you are running the latest Windows 10 updates? Scan for any new updates and apply them. Try the following updates: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28445/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10?product=88345 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28217/Intel-Chipset-Device-Software-for-Windows-10-64-bit-... Amy C Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
PGros2
Novice

The first update (Intel Graphics Driver) did not cure the flicker. The second update (Intel Chipset Device) was successful. I have attached a new Detailed System Report. Thank you, and well done! Philip
Amy_C_Intel1
Employee

When did the flicker start? Amy C Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
PGros2
Novice

The flicker has always been on this system and on the new one I built for my wife this past December, from the get-go. I spoke too fast yesterday, the flicker is back as previously described. Since the INF update did no go well yesterday I ran the setup executable from the Run Command just now. The flicker is still with us. The latest system report is attached.
Amy_C_Intel1
Employee

Can you please provide a recording of the flickering? To attach a file, the "attach" option will appear in the bottom right corner of the response box. Amy C Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
PGros2
Novice

From my iPhone.
PGros2
Novice

from my iPhone, a MOV file.

Amy_C_Intel1
Employee

Thanks, I will review it. Amy C Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
PGros2
Novice

Here is a list of my Apps. I noted elsewhere that one or more of these may cause the issue.

Amy_C_Intel1
Employee

Thank you for the video. I can confirm that the behavior is not a flickering issue, this is the Device Manager updating itself. Can you please let me know which devices you have connected to your Intel® NUC? Anything plugged. Amy C Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
PGros2
Novice

On my NUC, a Logitech HD Pro Webcam 920C, an ASUS External CD/DVD/BR BW-16D1X-U, an APC UPS BGE50ML-CA, a Viewsonic VX3211-2X display; via Bluetooth a Logitech K780 keyboard and a Logitech MX Anywhere 2X mouse.. On my wife’s NUC, a Logitech HD Pro Webcam 920C, an APC UPS BGE50ML-CA, a Viewsonic VX2703MH display; via Logitech wireless a Logitech K780 keyboard and via Microsoft wireless a Microsoft Windows Mobile Mouse 4000 mouse. . We share via the LAN access to an HP OfficeJet Pro 8710 All-in-One and a QNAP TS-251 NAS.
Amy_C_Intel1
Employee

Try this: 1. Open Device Manager 2. Remove one of your devices 3. Wait a couple of minutes to see if the flickering stops. 4. Plug the device and then try with the others. Also, make sure you have installed all the proper drivers for your external devices. I'm curious, are these the same devices you use for the Intel® NUC Kit NUC6i7KYK? What is the Windows build version you use for your NUC6i7KYK and what is the Windows build version you use for the NUC8i7HVK? Let me know the results. Amy C Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
PGros2
Novice

I tried this removing the Logitech webcam and the ASUS CD/DVD/BR devices as you suggested, no change. I also removed all the video drivers found in “Device Manager” and rebooted to re-install, no change. What I find interesting is if I install drivers for the Logitech webcam and HP wireless printer, that confuses the system and they don’t work well if at all. The ASUS CD/DVD/BR doesn’t require special drivers. It appears Windows 10 Pro version 1809 does not want external drivers for a growing number of devices. I now get a warning message on the Intel Driver and Support Assistant software that Intel is moving to feeding driver updates via the Microsoft Update feature. I am using Windows 10 Pro version 1809 (I am part of the Windows Insider Program and the lowest level) on all three NUC’s and it works very well on all, but the NUC8i7HVK ‘s have the refresh rate problem. Is there not a way to adjust the refresh rate for “Device Manager” – that appears to be the issue.
Amy_C_Intel1
Employee

It does not look an issue with the refresh rate. Since you are part of the Windows Insider Program, have you check with their support regarding this behavior? Amy C Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
PGros2
Novice

I have not because I have the same Windows 10 Pro version 1809 system working on the NUC6i7KYK without any problems. Since you mention it, though, I shall let them know of the matter.