Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DGorr
Beginner

I bought a NUC8i5BEH today and try to install it.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DGorr
Beginner

I installed memory and a SATA SSD. I connected screen and keyboard. So far everything is OK. I have a Windows 10 Home distribution on a Microsoft distribution USB stick. When I startup it loads files and asks whether I want to install 32 or 64 bit. Obviously I answer 64 bit and the I get a screen with 'Intel NUC' and it just keeps sitting there and nothing happens where I expect it to start installing from the stick or possibly over the network (RJ45 connected and active). What do I do wrong here?

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

At the first BIOS splash screen (where it says "Intel NUC" in big letters) just after powering on, are you pressing F10 and, from the menu that appears, selecting to boot from the USB media?

DGorr
Beginner

Hi! I borrowed another installation USB stick and that continued to format the disk. A little after that I stopped the installation as I don’t have a license key for that version. So I chucked my installation stick in the bin and ordered a new one from Microsoft. Alas I’ll have to wait till sometime next week to get it. To be continued next week Dominique
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi Dominique,

1. Please prepare your installation media (you need 8GB or greater USB stick), using Microsoft Media Creation Tool: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691209
  2. Your bios should be set to default settings. Enter bios (press F2 during boot) and then press F9 (Y) to set defaults and F10 (Y) to save settings and exit.
  3. With the installation media inserted into slot, power ON your NUC and press F10 to get Boot Menu.
  4. In this menu, choose UEFI option of you Installation media.
  5. Follow this tutorial to continue with installation https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-clean-install-windows-10-a.html
  6. In para. 7 you may enter Product Key from the Microsoft Distribution you bought.
  7. Skip on para. 12 and continue in para. 13. Important, do not format drive where you want to install Windows, rather delete all existing partitions from this drive, till you see one unallocated space.
  8. Press Next and continue with the installation.

Leon

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

I agree with Leon, but have also found that I have more success if I only use the Microsoft Media Creation tool to download the ISO file. I then use RUFUS to burn the ISO file onto the USB flash disk (specifying for it to use only GPT partitioning).

Just saying,

...S

DGorr
Beginner

Thanks for prompting me to continue to try...

I realized that the borrowed stick I used was a download version. So I downloaded the version I need onto a stick with the Microsoft tool and LOL!

It worked flawlessly.

Lesson: never despair.

Thanks again!