Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PHeim
Beginner

I can not update my BIOS on my NUC7i5BNH. I have tried all the methods available and nothing works. I have read every PDF and exhausted every method to update. What setting is wrong and where is it located?

Windows 10 Build:17763.316. My BIOS is stuck on BNKBL357.86A.003.2018.0413.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

BIOS 3? That sounds like a preproduction BIOS. Do you have a preproduction NUC?

The only way that you can update a preproduction BIOS is via the Security jumper-based BIOS Recovery process. See here for more information: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005532/mini-pcs.html

If this process won't update it, you may be out of luck. Some preproduction BIOS releases can only be updated in the factory.

Hope this helps,

...S

SChau10
New Contributor II

Scott, I think the BIOS in question is BNKBL357.86A.0063.2018.0413, which correlates with the April 13, 2018 date per the BIOS release notes for Baby Canyon.

@PHeim, there are 9 newer BIOS releases (latest is 0072) than 0063 for your NUC7i5BNH. I suggest you follow Scott's recommendation and use the jumper recovery process to flash the BIOS, at least once. Also, flashing BIOS forward by so many revisions in one shot may not work properly. You should try flashing forward one revision at a time: 0063-->0064-->0065-->0066-->0067-->0068-->0069-->0070-->0071-->0072.

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Actually, after reviewing the release notes, if you are using the jumper-based BIOS Recovery methodology, it is really only necessary to install BIOS version 66 and then 72.

After completing the two BIOS Recovery operations, remember to do the following:

1. Power on. When you see BIOS Splash Screen appear, use F2 key to enter BIOS Setup.
  2. Use F9 key (followed by Y) to reset the BIOS Configuration to defaults.
  3. Use F10 key (followed by Y) to save this configuration and exit BIOS Setup.
  4. When you see BIOS Splash Screen appear, use F2 key to again enter BIOS Setup.
  5. Make any changes required (boot order, etc.) and desired (disable NUMLOCK, etc.) changes in the BIOS Configuration
  6. Use F10 key (followed by Y) to save this configuration and exit BIOS Setup.
  7. Test boot capability.

Hope this helps,

...S