Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

I have a NUC7i3BNH which does not output to HDMI.

The computer was purchased in January 2019. On receipt it was successfully tested with Linux Mint 19, and then repackaged and placed in storage as a spare. I believe that the last step undertaken before the NUC was placed in spares storage, was POSSIBLY to do a BIOS update. Unfortunately the person who may have done a BIOS update on the NUC is no longer available to find out details.

When the NUC7i3BNH was retrieved from spares storage in week 4 of February 2019, the NUC would not output anything to HDMI. I can not tell if the device is actually booting, as I can not get any HDMI output.

The following is the sequence of events when the power supply is initially connected to the NUC:

1. After about 8 seconds, the power button, and the colored rectangle LEDs, light up continuous (i.e. no flashing) "Blue".
  2. After about a further five seconds, the colored rectangle LED switches OFF, and the power button LED changes to constant orange.
  3. After a further four seconds, the LED on the power button turns off.
  4. After a further four seconds, both the Rectangle LED, and the power button LED turn on continuous blue.
  5. The computer then stays at this LED indicator condition indefinitely. There is no HDMI output at any time, with the monitor showing "no signal".

I have tried two different HDMI cables, and two different HDMI Monitors. Additionally, I have tried a USB C equipped monitor. All monitors and HDMI Cable configurations show "no signal".

Examination of the Intel Support site has identified a BIOS recovery procedure, but as the computer will not output a HDMI signal, the Bios Recovery procedures do not work.

I have also tried the procedure to "Clear the CMOS Memory" (https://www.intel.com.au/content/www/au/en/support/articles/000005805/mini-pcs.html) but this procedure also does not work as there is no HDMI signal.

I have tried disconnecting the BIOS Battery for a minute and then trying to boot again. In that case, the NUC did initially output a 1080P signal as reported by the HDMI Monitor, (although no image was seen on the monitor) but the NUC then went through it's LED light sequence, and no further HDMI signal was seen.

I have tested the SODIMM and the SSD in another spare NUC7i3BNH, and both SODIMM and SSD have been tested and are working.

Please advise how I should proceed to further diagnose and rectify this problem.

Many thanks,

Roy Gilby

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Super User

1. It not clear to me if you did try to recover Bios using bios recovery with the yellow security jumper removed? If you didn't please do. In this procedure you don't need any video output. It should be completed automatically, about 3-5 minutes after power ON.
  2. Please try to disconnect the CMOS battery for longer time (about 15 minutes). 1 minute is not enough.

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

Disconnect the battery for 15 minutes with A/C power disconnected as well.

Try the jumper-based BIOS Recovery process. If no display is seen, even though Leon is correct that it should finish the recovery process within 5 minutes, I would wait a full 15 minutes before powering it off.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Thank you for your speedy replies ......

The following are the additional steps that I have tried based on your responses:

1. Disconnected the CMOS battery, and power cable, for more than 15 minutes. Reconnected CMOS battery. Booted NUC. No change - still no HDMI out.
  2. Repeated the Jumper Based BIOS Recovery Process. Last time I formatted the USB Stick using the Linux NTFS Utilities. This time I borrowed a Windows 10 computer, and slow formatted the USB Stick NTFS, and copied over the latest *.bio file, using the WIndows 10 computer. I waited 15 minutes for the recovery process to complete. At the end of 15 minutes, the Blue LED on the Power Button was still lit, as was the Blue LED in the Ring Light. I powered down the NUC, and replaced the BIOS Security Jumper, and rebooted the NUC. The problem remains unchanged - No HDMI Output - the Blue LED on the Power Button and the Blue LED in the Ring Light remain on and not flashing. There are no BIOS Beeps sounding.

Can you please advise if there re any other procedures to be followed? Or is this NUC "Bricked" or does it have a hardware failure ?

Regards,

Roy Gilby

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Hello @RGilb3​ ,

1. Usually, when USB stick is accessed (read/write), there is a LED showing this activity. I understand that in your case, you didn't see any such activity?
  2. In my opinion, I would better fully format the USB memory in Windows to FAT32 rather than to NTFS.
  3. For recovery process try to insert this USB into orange colored USB socket on your NUC and to the blue socket.

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

Just as an FYI, the BIOS Recovery firmware, due to size limitations, does not support the same level of device compatibility that the BIOS itself supports. Incompatibilities have been encountered with some USB flash disks and some (despite claims to the contrary, not 100% compatible) "FAT-like" file systems. As Leon indicated, the former issue can often be overcome by reformatting the USB flash disks on a MS Windows-based PC with the Quick Format option disabled (which causes every sector to be re-written) and the latter issue by (also) specifically choosing the FAT32 file system.

As Leon has enumerated, there are still a few other things that you could try, but it is looking more and more as if something has failed. The symptoms as you have described do not necessarily make it sound like the BIOS has been bricked, but whether this is the case or a hardware failure of some sort has occurred really doesn't matter; you are looking at replacing the unit. If you can no longer do so through your place of purchase, you will need to contact Intel Customer Support directly to set up a RMA replacement.

Sorry,

...S

0 Kudos