Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
12515 Discussions

I have a NUC8I7BEH (Iris Plus 655). I've had repeated problems where the monitor will not wake up after the PC attempts to enter sleep mode (the computer isn't actually asleep). Has anyone found a resolution?

SSuss
New Contributor I

There were at least two driver updates since I started having the problem - the most recent update was 8151 - but I have to roll all the way back to version 7529 (dated 11/13/2019) to get rid of the problem.

84 Replies
SSuss
New Contributor I

Just a note to all, I did receive an email from Intel support that they had found the problem and were hoping a new driver fixed it, then I got a follow up email asking me if I tried it.  Of course there was missing information about WHICH DRIVER TO TRY...   But I am testing with the latest which is Build 8673 dated 8/12/2020 and I will let you know if the problem goes away.

Thanks

Steve

MikeBurrito
New Contributor I

I'm at about 12 hours on 8673, so far so good, made it through the night and it woke up OK in the morning.  Certain versions are especially bad and I notice the problem immediately, other times I seem to be able to go a day or two so can't say anything conclusive yet.  I might just be lucky so far.

PDeac1
New Contributor I

Great news. Keep us posted. How are you connecting to your monitor? I've noticed that all the later drivers do not allow my monitor to sleep if it is connected with a USB C -> DisplayPort cable. The monitor starts going into sleep mode after the time you've set (default 10 minutes of inactivity) then it immediately bounces out of sleep mode and keeps cycling like that. If I connect with an HDMI->HDMI cable it's OK. But it appears to be an early indicator that I will have the 'unable to wake problem' in the morning. So when I try a new driver, I replace my HDMI cable with a USB C -> DisplayPort cable to see what happens. I'd be interested to know what happens in your case with 8673, if you have a DisplayPort cable . . .

SSuss
New Contributor I

So they actually sent me a specific build (8587) to test and so far it seems to be working.  I'm not clear on whether the changes in 8587 are also present in the 86xx build which is a public beta driver.

I connect via HDMI currently although I had been using a USB-C to DP cable and it didn't make any difference between the two

-Steve

PDeac1
New Contributor I

That's really promising. Hopefully if it works they will let the rest of us try it!

Pernick
Novice
I swapped the SSD/memory into the warranty replacement NUC from Intel (3 yrs is a **bleep** good warranty.) Other than having to reactivate Windows 10 all is as it should be. It woke my UHD TV and now the test will be if it wakes my daughter’s LG 24UD58 2160p monitor in her Ohio dorm room. $11 to send a computer by UPS cannot be beat, I have to say.
Pernick
Novice
That’s funny. I thought the da*n word was relatively benign these days.
SSuss
New Contributor I

Build 8587... so far so good.  Usually if I was going to get a failure would have seen it by now.

SS

SSuss
New Contributor I

Mixed news I'm afraid.  It does indeed no longer hang up your system with a black screen... but it appears to do so by preventing the NUC from sleeping altogether.  So... not exactly progress.

PDeac1
New Contributor I

Oh dear. When you say sleep, do you mean what Microsoft calls sleep, ie. a deep sleep, or do you mean the 'turn monitor off but keep chugging away' sleep? It's only the latter I use. Just make sure you keep the 7529 install file around! At least that does everything properly.

MikeBurrito
New Contributor I

I thought I was having a good run on the beta 8673 driver, but I think a combination of things were happening.  When the computer itself did not go into sleep mode, the monitor would always wake.  Today I noticed my NUC was in sleep mode (power LED is set to a different color and it was 'breathing'), when I woke it from sleep mode it returned to a solid color but the monitor would not respond.

I have not mentioned this so far, but I have been using Windows 'modern standby' I wonder if this is a common factor and why not a lot of people are having these issues, I had to go out of my way to enable modern standby as it is not the default in the NUC BIOS.  I followed all the directions and have done clean installs of Windows, etc. so I don't believe there is any user error there.

MikeBurrito
New Contributor I

I've stuck to the 8673 beta drivers, but rolled back the HDMI firmware to 1.77.01 to see what results I get.  I am using HDMI to HDMI so that seems to be the recommended firmware, although I was not experiencing the display flickering issue or whatever that was.

It seems like I have good streaks and bad streaks, at first 8673 seemed good, that went for 2-3 days.  Then I had a problem where it wouldn't wake up, power cycled and then the same day hours later it happened again.  Really wish Intel would take this problem seriously, it seems to be very widespread even among other NUC models.

SSuss
New Contributor I

So I have to change my answer.  I found that after installing the 8587 driver, somehow the installation of my UPS software (CyberPower Power Panel) got corrupt and stopped working.  I uninstalled that and re-installed, and that resolved my issue with not sleeping at all.  Now... the 8587 fix seems to be holding up.

Will try a little later with 8673.

Thanks

Steve

PDeac1
New Contributor I

Hi Steve. How is 8587 now, some five days later? Are you still able to wake the display each morning?

Cheers.

Phillip

SSuss
New Contributor I

So far it seems it’s running good

MikeBurrito
New Contributor I

I'm still seeing inconsistent results.  I was on 8673 and then rolled back to 8587.  Sometimes it wakes up the monitor OK, other times it doesn't.  The really odd thing is, one day it failed to wake up the monitor so I said screw it and walked away and then came back to it hours later and it woke up fine the second time.

PDeac1
New Contributor I

I installed 8587 last night and this morning I was unable to wake my monitor - so for me it's no better than any other driver since 7529. I'm beginning to think Intel are too busy chasing boy gamers than those who do real work on their computers. It surely can't be too difficult for a world-renowned company like Intel to take 7529 as a base and add on the features they feel users need since 7529 was released in April 2020. 

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Off and on, this bug has existing in the Intel drivers going all the way back to the 4th gen. products (I saw it with the WY NUCs back then). I can't say it's because of the Gamers, but it is definitely a long-term priority issue.

They won't like me saying it but, in my 21 years with Intel, I found that their culture makes it undesirable and career-limiting to work in a maintenance role.

...S

MikeBurrito
New Contributor I

@PDeac1 Write working drivers?  They're having a hard enough time keeping up with AMD these days   Ok, ok that was kind of a low blow.

@n_scott_pearson Any advice for how to get any movement on this?  Sounds like a bit of a lost cause.  I figure keeping this thread going is one way to keep it on the radar, but I guess I could go through the hassle of actually opening a case if that might help.  I assume on some level this is a known issue, between the past history of it as you mention and the fact that there's at least a handful of us with the same problem.

Definitely a frustrating problem, sure glad I'm not the IT guy at a company that recommended they buy 100s of NUCs.

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Keeping this conversation going isn't enough. You all want to open cases with ICS. 

...S

Pernick
Novice

Update for my daughter's NUC7CJYH 2 weeks after it was replaced under warranty.

She says it has been working normally. I'm not sure it had exactly the same issues as others here. Again, after her NUC went to sleep or the monitor turned off, the NUC could not detect the monitor (or vice versa--doesn't even matter.) I will be visiting her in 2 weeks so I'll see for myself.

For what it's worth, I have always been an AMD guy for my desktop hardware as it's much cheaper but all my laptops have been Intel based and I have never had much trouble with them.