Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

I have nuc7i5bnh with one unit of Crucial 16GB DDR4-2133 SODIMM CL15 (CT16G4SFD8213.C16FBR1) and one unit of Intel SSD 600p installed.

I intend to buy one more unit of DDR4 RAM. What is the recommendation? As I checked online, most of the RAMs are 2400. If I buy 8GB DDR4-2400, is it compatible with the current 16GB DDR4-2133? or do I have to buy 16GB DDR4-2400 instead of 8GB? Any problem if memory size is different? Please advise. Thanks.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Super User

It is ALWAYS best to have MATCHED pairs of memory. ALWAYS.

Doc

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

If you will install different (in size, frequency or P/N) memory module, your computer will not work in double channel memory mode (i.e. lower performance). If you will install similar module, you have good chance that the computer will work in double channel memory mode. I say, you have good chance, because to ensure it, you should install memory kit (two identical memory module, chosen in manufacture). On ebay you may find memory you need: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Crucial-16GB-PC4-2133-Laptop-RAM-SODIMM-CT16G4SFD8213-Memory-100-Tested-Gra... . This is not endorsement to buy from this seller, but example only.

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

thanks for prompt response. It's difficult for me to buy from eBay. Is it possible to buy this model Crucial 16GB DDR4 2400Mhz Sodimm Value Ram - CT16G4SFD824A? Everything is compatible except it's 2400MHz. According to Crucial web site, it can support 2133MHz.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

You may get lucky with mixing memory, but it is not recommended.

Doc

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
0 Kudos