Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

I intend to purchase a NUC10i7 with 8 GB of RAM to hardware decode HEVC TV content. Am I able to configure the NUCs HDMI interface, so that it sends FullHD not UHD signals whenever needed. This is needed because the TV as my monitor only supports FullHD!

Is 8 GB RAM sufficient to get error-free (without stuttering and dropouts) video and sound transmission to the above mentioned TV?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Super User

With the integrated graphics your NUC will be able to decode FullHD video with 8GB RAM and still you will be able to use your computer for the normal productivity tasks. However I would suggest to install 16GB memory (constructed from 2 x 8GB kit). You will be able to play even games on your NUC. Your are buying NUC with high performance CPU, so, don't limit it.

Leon

Highlighted

Thank you very much Leon for your prompt reply!

Since HEVC coded Video material may be between 320 × 240 pixels (QVGA) up to 8192 × 4320 pixels including Ultra High Definition Television 2 (UHD-2) and 8K I would like to know whether it is possible that the user is able to configure - to upscaling or downscaling - the HDMI port so that the decoded HEVC content result may in any case be displayed on my FullHD TV.

This is important to me because - as a pensioner! - I can't afford to buy an NUC10i7 and a new TV or Monitor at the same time but would have to save up money first to be ready for future displays ;o) This is also because in Germany it will last quiet a while before our stations will broadcast their programs in 4K / 8K!

Mario

Highlighted
Super User

Hello Mario,

I've not enough knowledge about HEVC encoding. However, I know that if you will run 4K or 8K video clip from Youtube, it will be displayed on your FullHD TV. You will not be required to downscaling any thing. It is done automatically by the driver and decoders, since the actual resolution of your display is set in Windows. Also you can run from your NUC any 4K H.264/MPEG-4 . I don't think that it will not work with H.265/HEVC encoding which is actually an extension of H.264. As I have mentioned above, I've tested 4K and 8K video clip from Youtube and they probably are using HEVC encoding.

Leon

Highlighted

Good Afternoon Leon,

thanks for your detailed reply!

I have yet another technical question. This one has to do with 4 K and / or 8 K content on YouTube and has therefore nothing to do with Intel of course. Do you mind sending me your private mail address? I would like to avoid the private conversation you mentioned in this forum that could possibly be cut off at some point!

Greetings

Mario

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Hi Mario,

Have sent you private message.

Leon

0 Kudos