Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ABowe2
Beginner

I knew this was going to be problems. Why can't I see any boot devices?

I've been saving a little bit of money every month for over a year, after being excited about the hades canyon from CES 2018, or whatever you call it. I just bought everything I needed for a ready system, and yeah....it's a big pile of poop. Man, it was supposed to be great. I've unboxed everything, followed directions from your materials, even went looking for the latest BIOS (0053), followed the directions to get it to flash. The visual BIOS gives me confirmation that it works, because I can flip through some options. Rebooted it, and pressed F10 to select boot devices, and there are no devices to choose from. I'm sorry I didn't buy a fully configured system. I thought I could handle a simple install. I don't know what to do. I just wanted to install Windows 10 Home from a thumbdrive (I bought it as a thumbdrive, you know the retail version cause I know you guys are going to harp on me whether or not I used my own thumbdrive and copied an install onto it--I didn't copy an install onto a thumbdrive, I bought it from BestBuy) and then install some world of warcraft and enjoy my evening. Yeah right. Please don't even bother replying if you're going to be a jackass. I have to put up with jackasses all day long, at least 40 hours a week. I don't want your response if you're going to be mean. I'll just keep it as a $1300 desk ornament and save another year for a real computer.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
AlHill
Super User

What do you have installed that you intend to use as a boot drive for your OS?

Go here, with a 8GB usb stick and make a Windows 10 usb install stick:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Boot the usb install stick, using the F10 method. You should see the stick.

Follow the install procedure. All should be ok.

Also, watch your language. I will have your post removed if you do not.

Doc

AlHill
Super User

BTW, I have a HADES Canyon nuc and it is a very, very good machine.

Doc

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Adding to Doc's input, the reason why you are not seeing a boot able device is because this NUC only supports UEFI Boot and your installation media (thumbdrive) is likely using Legacy Boot instead. *How* you create the installation media makes a difference. It is important to use the tool provided by Microsoft to create the installation media. As an alternative (if you may have to do this multiple times), you can use the tool to download the installer as an ISO file. I use a freeware tool called Rufus to prepare the installation media. You can tell Rufus to only support GPT partitioning and UEFI installation.

Hope this helps,

...S

P.S. I too have a Hades Canyon and I think it is great. It's not as quiet as I would like it to be but a significant improvement over the previous Skull Canyon design. Mount it on the back of your monitor (using the provided VESA mounting plate) and you likely won't hear it at all.

n_scott_pearson

Oops, missed something: When you attempt to reinstall Windows 10, make sure you delete all partitions on the SSD and then tell the installer to install to the unused space on the drive (which should encompass the entire drive if you deleted everything properly). This will ensure that the Legacy formatting of the SSD is removed.

...S

ABowe2
Beginner

Thank you n.scott.pearson.

This was the most helpful advice anyone has ever provided me. This was what was wrong. I have installed the iso as you've directed. It just puzzles me that the retail software I purchased was the issue. I'm looking forward to playing games on my new hades canyon. Thank you again.

n_scott_pearson

Hey, this is Microsoft that we're talking about. Push everyone to UEFI and then ship media that doesn't use it by default. There's a consistent message for you! 💫

...S

TTX
Novice

Props Scott, the legacy boot option was the obvious answer. Rufus is the way I go with making bootable sticks UEFI and legacy. I stopped reading at the word "jacka$$"...but I'm curious.

All that aside, please tell me intel didn't release a NUC that is UEFI only and offers no support of booting legacy devices (even enabled through bios) ??

n_scott_pearson

Absolutely; Legacy is going away. Companies pay out a fortune to have that CSM code present in their BIOSs. True Legacy devices are becoming more and more rare. The CSM really isn't needed any longer. It is time to drop it. Now, before you complain, think about it (and be honest): What are you still using that is truly Legacy?

...S

ABowe2
Beginner

My keyboard, headphones and mouse are still rocking legacy USB. Tried to reuse as much carried over stuff as possible. They all work with the NUC. Only could get one of my HDMI LCD monitors to work with it right now, but that's ok. Maybe in a few months I'll replace them all.

@TT​X I'm sure you hear worse in every day conversation. I don't need a lecture on manners.

n_scott_pearson

There is no such thing as "Legacy USB". USB is not Legacy, period. UEFI has full USB support.

...S

n_scott_pearson

Actually, you do need a lecture on manners. Your initial message was most definitely in violation of site conduct policies. You are lucky that I chose to help you, rather than simply ignore you (as many other folks did) or have you barred (as others were suggesting). Now, before you respond to this post, think very carefully about whether you want to be able to continue using this site. It wouldn't take much of a response to tilt things the other way. Consider yourself warned...

...S

ABowe2
Beginner

I'll take a moment to verify what you're saying and turn off USB legacy in the BIOS sometime.

I appreciate your help, it got me up and running a lot sooner. I am unapologetic about my original comments above. They weren't directed at anyone personally. You (and evidently 'many others') make mountains out of mole hills. People in general are jerks. ​