Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BBear
Beginner

I love my NUC but I had a strange lock up prb.

I just received my NUC7i5BNH 2 days ago.

I love it. It is very small and very quiet.

Below is my setup:

2x8 G Kingston hyper x 2400DDR4

480G Crucial SSD

HDMI cable to Dell UP2716D (I tried two different "known" working hdmi cables)USB-C to DP cable to Dell U2417H

*I tried connect the HDMI to the 24" Dell and USB-C to DP to the 27" Dell

Tried both Win 10 & Win 10 pro. (with spring 2018 update).

I had installed all the latest driver and updated the HDMI firmware to 1.71.

I use my NUC mainly for surfing the web (Chrome), doc processing (MS office), watching video (youtube on Chrome, videolan & MS built in video player).

I have a stange lockup problem.

Usually after a few hours, it would lockup. I can still move my mouse cursor but nothing else would work (I get no response from the keyboard and left/right click on the mouse). Sometime it happens within 10~15minutes when I boot up the NUC but majority of the time if is after a few hours.

After not touching it for about 30min, I can gain control of it again. Only once it rebooted itself.

It seems not heat related as from HW monitor the max temp. is less than 70C.

I use the Intel Extreme Tuning software and had stress tested both the CPU & memory and both are fine. Max CPU temp is 8x-ish C.

I had tried the latest firmware (63) and an older firmware (60) with different 256, 512 & 1G RAM. 512M seems the most unstable.

I had tried both the win10 built in video driver (newer than the one in the support section and also the latest Day 0 spring update driver.

What should be my next step?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
BBear
Beginner

One more thing I noticed is it happened when I was playing video say youtube and then open a chrome page or start something new or surfing the web and then start youtube. I didnt lock up if I was watching yoitube and not doing anything else.

ps. I use the analog audio out on my 27" Dell monitor to my powered speakers via the hdmi cable.

LeonWaksman
Super User

1. Can you try to work with Edge browser instead of Chrome?

2. Please try to reset Chrome to its default settings (enter Chrome Setting->Advanced->System).

Leon

BBear
Beginner

Had tried Edge since this morning. Will report back.

Had reset Chrome as well. Will report back.

Thx.

LeonWaksman
Super User

Checking on net I've founded that this problem to be restricted to Intel HD 620/630 graphics working with Chrome. So, till Intel will release new version of the Graphic driver I suggest either of the two workaroud:

1. Work with Edge browser (instead Chrome).

or

2. Disable Hardware Acceleration in Chrome (enter Chrome Setting->Advanced->System).

Leon

BBear
Beginner

Sadly, default Chrome setting does not resolve the problem.

I can reliablely produce the problem even from a fresh reboot by trying to watch a movies on fmovies.se and choosing the Openload servers.

The Chrome is Version 66.0.3359.139 (Official Build) (64-bit).

I am continue testing Edge.

Thx.

LeonWaksman
Super User

See my comments in post # 4 above.

Leon

BBear
Beginner

Disable hardware acceleration on chrome does not resolve the problem.

I have a Lenovo T460 laptop and I noticed hardware acceleration was disabled (I never enable or disable this setting) and there is 0 prob on my T460.

ps. T460 is using the 6th gen Intel chip and the NUC is on 7th gen Intel chip.

Start watching a movie on fmovies.se did not crash Edge. Continue the testing.

Edit:

Seems to be the same problem.

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=838809&can=2&start=0&num=100&q=&colspec=ID%20P... 838809 - Chrome Freezes PC after windows April Update - chromium - Monorail

idata
Community Manager

Hello bigbear,

I would like to continue doing research on this issue.

Please scan your unit using the Intel® System Support Utility. Follow the steps below:

1.Download the Intel® System Support Utility and save the application to your system.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91...

2.Open the application and click Scan to see system and device information. The Intel® System Support Utility defaults to the Summary View on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says summary to change to Detailed View.

3.To save your scan, click Next and click Save. You can save the file to any accessible location on your computer.

4. Attach the report to this thread.

Wanner G.
BBear
Beginner

It was already resolved. This was caused by the buggy win10 spring update.