Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Novice

Re: I tried to update the bios for my new Intel® NUC 8 Mainstream-G and it become dead.

Hi,

Thanks for your response. I will unfortunately not be able to try another update method, as I don't wish to risk a working machine. If it indeed goes bad, doing an RMA (the second time) on this one is not desirable for me, as it now contains personal data. It is clear, though, that this issue is not isolated to me and is reproducible among some of your customers. Letting you know if the issue persists essentially means taking a risk at bricking a working machine.

Here are the reproduction steps, which would be fairly trivial for Intel to try:

1. Obtain a new NUC8i7INHPA2 (version K47348-403, date of manufacture is August 3, 2019) bearing BIOS version 0028;
  2. Download and apply BIOS version 0037, through the express (EBU) method.

This is exactly what I did, and my NUC got bricked. I never changed any BIOS setting or hardware; I just turned the NUC on, and after Windows has completed the OOBE (Out of the Box) wizard, I downloaded and launched the said BIOS update. Having access to said hardware, this should be fairly easy to reproduce.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Re: I tried to update the bios for my new Intel® NUC 8 Mainstream-G and it become dead.

Hello PavelPr,

It has been confirmed that there was an issue with BIOS 0037, so it should be removed from the Download Center soon.

At this moment we can confirm that there is no issue with BIOS update 0036.

Wanner G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Could you please elaborate with regard to the scope of the issue (in particular, its root cause and the way it's triggered)?

Strange thing is that when this issue happens, the BIOS recovery functionality gets knocked out completely – while logically speaking, this should never happen. I am not aware of Intel's design details, but to my understanding BIOS recovery logic is usually implemented in ROM and should be triggerable regardless of the state of the system BIOS. Question is, how could it be neutralized by a faulty BIOS update (which, in part, it is designed to protect against)?

P.S. Do you anticipate a corrected version anytime soon?

Thank you very much for your effort and time!

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello PavelPr,

What we can confirm about BIOS 0037 is that users reported that it bricked their units.

In this scenario, the products affected were the following:

• Intel® NUC 8 Mainstream-G mini PC (NUC8i5INH)
  • Intel® NUC 8 Mainstream-G mini PC (NUC8i7INH)
  • Intel® NUC 8 Mainstream-G kit (NUC8i7INH)
  • Intel® NUC 8 Mainstream-G kit (NUC8i5INH)

This BIOS version has been removed. Please let us know if you have any issues updating the BIOS to version 0036.

For new drivers and software, we suggest that you continue checking our Download Center.

NAlsh1,

Please let us know if you are able to update the BIOS to version 0036.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

please WannerG_Intel

don't told me try this and that all thing written to reflashing the bios not working to restore it, only thing to solve it is to replacing the bios or even motherboard physically, , I think intel shamed to say they spoiled our Pc's. and frankly speaking iam afraid to tell you that your assignment to buy time for intel only .

regads,

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello NAlsh1,

To better assist you, we have sent you a private message to collect personal information.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Hello,

Thanks for writing back.

A faulty BIOS update impairing the BIOS recovery functionality is fairly extreme, and I don't know whether that functionality can be relied on in the case of failure. As such, I will be unable to update the BIOS until such time that the nature of this issue is understood and shared with us.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Just curious - Do any of you have the option checked for "Self Healing Bios" in the bios?

I do not have mine checked, and have not had a problem with the bios update.

Doc

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Contributor III

Until now this option was unchecked in the Bios of my NUC. Now, after reading your post and the BIOS Glossary, I've decided to enable this function. I'm not sure however, that in case that BIOS is corrupted in such a way that NUC can't boot, this feature may work. Actually I'm sure that it can't work if the NUC is bricked.

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi All,

thanks to all how anticipate in this post.

WannerG_Intel (Intel)

please understand me my pc not booting ( processor not running ) that mean keyboard neither mouse,flash etc.. didn't detected, though

i tried all bios recovery like Express BIOS,f7,power button, jumper .

intel spoiled my Pc .

ps: i didn't received any message

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello NAlsh1,

We sent you another private message. Please check the inbox, and let us know if you received it.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Wanner G.

you offer me phone call, you phone won't make any deference

iam offering you to close this post, because you're not able to solve this issue .

Intel spoiled my new Pc.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Re:I tried to update the bios for my new Intel® NU...

Hello NAlsh1,

Our recommendation is that you contact the Place of Purchase if you purchased the unit within a 30-day period. If not, please contact Intel Customer Support in your region to replace the unit.

As per your request, we will close this thread.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor II

When you say you couldn't do recovery, what actually happens when you pull the yellow jumper from the NUC board to start recovery? Do you see a flash update countdown on-screen? Is the CAP file on your blank FAT32 formatted flash drive in the root directory? Is it the zip file marked RECOVERY from the download site below?

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29250/BIOS-Update-INWHL357-?product=189233

BIOS Recovery [INWHL357.0036.RECOVERY.zip] - In the unlikely event that a BIOS update is interrupted, it's possible the BIOS may be left in an unusable state. Use the recovery BIOS update to recover from this condition. It requires a USB flash device. Follow the recovery instructions in the Readme file.  

It does not matter if it is an i5 or an i7 NUC8ixIN to use this file.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos