Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

I was having issues with my mouse and also some video issues. I was led to believe it was possibly a heat issue. I opened the unit up and its immaculate, so I ended up changing some settings in the bios for the fan.

Afterwards I came here and downloaded all newest drivers and bios too. I ran "userbenchmark" before & after doing the drivers. Whats most upsetting is the kingston SSD score dropped by 50% after doing the drivers & bios updates. I mean all the scores are very low but to loose 50% after updating the system, why would that happen?

Here are the results of my scores:

Original results before updating all drivers

UserBenchmarks: Game 12%, Desk 31%, Work 21%

CPU: Intel Celeron J3455 - 29.9%

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 500 - 2.1%

SSD: Kingston A400 480GB - 61.8%

RAM: Unde CT51264BF160BJ.C8F 2x4GB - 31.5%

MBD: Intel NUC6CAYB

updated drivers- new results

UserBenchmarks: Game 12%, Desk 29%, Work 20%

CPU: Intel Celeron J3455 - 30.2%

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 500 - 2.2%

SSD: Kingston A400 480GB - 28.4%

RAM: Unde CT51264BF160BJ.C8F 2x4GB - 30.8%

MBD: Intel NUC6CAYB

Is there anything I can do to improve performance?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted

Hello DFras5, 

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.  

Please run the following tool and attach the report generated. 

1. Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) 

• Intel® SSU Download link 
  • Open the application and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View". 
  • Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View". 
  • To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save". 

What was the BIOS version you had?

Does the SSD have the firmware up to date?

Regards,

Adrian M.

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

my test results are here

Also it seems my bluetooth speaker keeps disconnecting while watching tv since I did the updates

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello DFras5, 

Thank you for your response.

Please allow me some time to investigate this behavior after the updates on the system were done.

Regards,

Adrian M.

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I need to correct my statement about the bluetooth disconnecting as I am watching tv at the moment and watched this flaw happen several times recently, and it does in fact sometimes disconnect from the computer but it also at times stays connected but sound just stops for a period of time, and than it comes back on.

In addition, I took your advice and checked for a firmware update for my SSD drive and it did in fact need one, which I installed. I than re-ran the benchmark test and it dropped again, to 22%. Becoming frustrated I read the results carefully and I also ran Speccy, which I found thru recommendations from Intel and both pieces of software tell me that my drive is connected to a SATA 2 port and that I should try connecting it to a SATA 3 port. How can this be? It is my understanding that the NUC only has one SATA port and that it is a SATA 3 port. Am I mistaken?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello DFras5, 

We have done some internal testing and concluded that the performance loss exhibited with a more recent BIOS version is related to the security updates the system has undergone to mitigate vulnerabilities.

We call these: Security Advisories and they are documented in the BIOS release notes https://downloadmirror.intel.com/29319/eng/AY_0066_ReleaseNotes.pdf please keep in mind that this product is from 2016 and has gone through several BIOS updates (including microcode updates) to protect your system from malicious purposes that have the potential to improperly gather sensitive data. Meltdown/Spectre issue is a good example of a vulnerability reported in 2018, the fix for this issue was implemented in BIOS 0047 for your system and it is known to cause an impact in performance on storage throughput.

I hope that you understand and I apologize for any inconvenience caused by this situation.

Regards,

Ronny G

0 Kudos