Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
New Contributor II

IDSA cuasing a delay during system start up

As I already wrote (here) I had reinstalled my NUC6CAYS a few days ago. I haven't installed Intel Driver & Support Asisstant and notice that the small delay doesn't appear anymore at system startup (after user login).

Previously, shortly after the user logged in, the system did not respond to any keyboard input or mouse movements for about 1 second.

I can also see the same with my NUC8i5. Only that the delay is much shorter. I assume that the NUC8 can complete any process faster than the NUC6 due to its performance.

This also occurs if IDSA is configured that it does not automatically check for driver updates. So it must be related to the start of the IDSA.

Can others observe anything similar?

Does anyone have any idea how to fix this without having to do without the IDSA?

Trial-Member

0 Kudos
35 Replies
Highlighted
Super User

All start up programs cause a delay. This is as much a Windows problem as it is a IDSA problem.

Doc

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor II

The only difference is that the delay is clearly visible here.

Normally background processes are started with low priority and should not cause the system to stop responding.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

I am not sure I see the point, as not all start up programs are equal in their demands on the system. There is no "normal" process startup.

However, the intel folks monitor these threads and will consider your input.

Doc

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

Hello Trial-Member,

Thank you for posting on the Intel Community.

I see that you’re having performance issues when having the Intel® Driver & Support Assistant (Intel® DSA) installed on your system after starting the operating system.

Please let us know if you have the issue encountered using the latest version of Intel® DSA. Download link:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28425/Intel-Driver-Support-Assistant?product=128824

If the issue persists, please provide the following information:

1.   Operating system (version and build).

2.   Attach debug log files found at C:\ProgramData\Intel\DSA

Hope this helps!

Oscar A.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor II

Hello @OscarA_Intel​,

Thank you for your answer.

My situation is this:

I noticed that the system stopps responding after user logon on various NUC models.

- NUC6CAYS (Windows 10 1803 and later 1809) and

- NUC8i5BEH (Windows 10 1803 and later 1809) and

- NUC8i3BEH (Windows 10 1809)

The latest version of the IDSA was used. During this time there were several updates.

The NUC8i3BEH is not mine. It belongs to a friend and I had the opportunity to find out the behaviour there because he asked me what to do about it. At the time, I wasn't aware of IDSA as the trigger.

Since I recently reinstalled the NUC6 (Windows 10 1903) I noticed that the short pauses after user login are gone. I have not yet reinstalled IDSA on the NUC6 (because the pause is very clear on this model, presumably because it has a slower CPU than my NUC8i5).

Tonight I will create a logfile with my NUC8i5, the behavior of which is also noticeable.

Trial-Member

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

Hello Trial-Member,

Thank you for the information,

Please allow me some days to perform some research about the behavior you're experiencing and I will be posting back with the outcome as soon as it becomes available.

Best regards,

Oscar A.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor II

Hello @OscarA_Intel​,

Please see the attached files.

Trial-Member

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor II

posted a file.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

Hello Trial-Member,

Thank you very much, I'll be posting back.

Regards,

Oscar A.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor II

Hello @OscarA_Intel​,

I reinstalled Windows (1903) on my NUC8i5 yesterday evening (including the latest Updates from MS). There were no delays at the start.

I installed IDSA directly after Windows. There was no other software on the system, but still there is a (very) short pause after user login.

The problem must therefore be related to IDSA.

Trial-Member

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

Hello,

Thank you for the information provided.

I'm still working on it, I'll be posting as soon as I have the outcome.

Regards,

Oscar A.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

Hello Trial-Member,

Thank you for your patience.

It seems that we were unable to replicate the delay issues you're experiencing. We're still working on this matter. I will be posting as soon as possible.

Regards,

Oscar A.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor II

Thanks for the intermediate information.

Please keep in mind that the duration of the delay varies depending on the device

(the faster the CPU, the lower the delay).

This is most obvious on my NUC6CAYS,

but how written can I see it on my NUC8i5 and I have seen it on a NUC8i3.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

Hello Trial-Member,

Thank you for your time.

We were unable to replicate the issue, so we need more information.

· When is the delay exactly occurring? Is it after the desktop is shown or after you type the password? (Please provide any information that could narrow it down, would really help).

· Are you using the same peripherals for all the NUCs? For ex. same keyboard/Mouse (Let us know if connected to the USB port/Wireless/Bluetooth).

Please provide as much details as you can to be able to help you with the delay issues you’re experiencing due to the Intel® Driver & Support Assistant.

Best regards,

Oscar A.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor II

Hello @OscarA_Intel​,

Thank you very much for your answer.

I use different keyboards and mice on different devices. 

NUC8i5BEH is used with a Logitech Craft and a Logitech MX Master 2S, connected via a Logitech Unifying receiver. With this device, it makes no difference whether Logitech Options is installed or not.

NUC6CAYS is used with a Logitech Illuminated Living-Room Keyboad K830 connected to a Logitech Unifying Receiver (but connected to a USB extension cable as the Unifying receivers and USB3.0 ports are somewhat problematic). I used a Logitech Wireless Touch Keyboard K400 Plus on this NUC in the past, but with the same result. With this device, it makes no difference whether Logitech Options is installed or not.

I now use the K400 Plus on a Zotac ZBOX MI551. There is no pause detectable here. But as already written, even with the NUC8i5BEH and NUC6CAYS the pauses do not occur if IDSA is not installed.

NUC8i3BEH also has Logitech components. Since this is not my device, I can't say which combination is used here. If this is important I will try to find out.

The pause occurs a few seconds (2-3 seconds) after the user logs in, after the desktop is loaded. I would rule out the possibility that third-party software is the trigger here, since a "bare Windows 10" with IDSA also leads to the pause.

NUC8i5BEH:

Network connection via LAN, WLAN disabled in BIOS.

Bluetooth is used (headphones), but is switched off in Windows if I don't use any devices at the moment. M.2 SSD as main drive, SATA3 SSD as additional memory, G.Skill Ripjaw's DDR4 RAM (16 GB: 2 x 8 GB - SO DIMM 260-PIN - 2400 MHz).

Screen: Samsung U28E590D via HDMI, 3840x2160 @60 Hz. Brother QL-500 is connected via USB (but usually turned off). No other external devices connected (except for the Logitech Unifying receiver). A printer used via WLAN is usually not turned on (only turned on when needed).

NUC6CAYS was connected ...

Network connection via LAN, WLAN deactivated in BIOS.

Bluetooth deactivated (switched off) in Windows, SATA3 SSD SanDisk SDSSDA-240G, 8GB Kingston HX318LS11IBK2/8 DDR3-RAM (2x 4GB).

Screen: LG 65SJ8109 (TV) via HDMI, 3840x2160 @60 Hz.

This NUC has now moved and is connected via HDMI to a LG 43UJ6309 (TV), 3840x2160 @60 Hz. In addition, the network connection now takes place via WLAN. No external devices (apart from the Logitech Unifying receiver) connected. A printer used via WLAN is usually not turned on (only turned on when needed).

All NUC mentioned (including the NUC8i3BEH, which has 8GB RAM and is operated via HDMI on a Lenovo monitor with FHD resolution) use Windows 10 NUC6 and NUC8i5 = 1903, NUC8i3 = 1809). This pause varies in length depending on the NUC. With the NUC8i5 only very short, you almost have to know what to look out for, with the NUC8i3 the pause is already clearly noticeable, with the NUC6 the pause is really annoying and about 2 seconds long).

During this time no mouse movements are executed, keyboard entries are "buffered".

Remarkable is:

If the same Unifying receiver is used on my working notebook (Dell 7490), there is no pause. Therefore, I wouldn't assume the Unifying receiver to be "guilty". Also the ZBOX has no problems (although here a Unifying receiver is used and the same programs are installed as on the NUC6, but no IDSA).

I hope this helps. If you have any questions, I will be happy to answer them.

Trial-Member

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor II

Hi @OscarA_Intel,

I have now reset my NUC6CAYS to a state before the installation of the IDSA.

I used an image that I had created before.

The delay now also occurs without IDSA.

This is exciting because the delay discribed above occurred from the moment I installed IDSA.

So IDSA could possibly be "innocent", but then the realization remains that my NUCs (and apparently not only mine) have a problem with something (Windows, installed programs), where my other devices (so neither my previous desktop PCs, nor my notebook or my ZBOX) do not stumble. Whereby the NUC6 doesn't have much (WIndows 10, O365). All NUCs are up to date (drivers, BIOS).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

Hello Trial-Member,

I would like to confirm the hardware you have with the NUCs, have you tried using only 1 RAM stick?

If you have re-installed the operating system then it does not seem to be related to the Intel ® Driver & Support Assistant since it is removed when a new installation of Windows is present. 

Regards,

David V

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor II

Hello @DavidV_Intel​,

I haven't tried it with just one RAM sticks yet. It would also be surprising if the main memory is the cause, because different main memories are used in the NUCs.

Once the devices have been started up, they run for hours and days without crashing or hanging up.

Of course the IDSA is removed when I reinstall the operating system - perfectly clear. What is still remarkable is that the pauses occurred immediately after installing the IDSA and that I can't detect them on any of my devices running without the IDSA. Neither my years old PC (replaced by a NUC), nor my current working laptop or my Zotac ZBOX show such a pause, although the same programs (in the same versions) are installed.

Trial-Member

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

Hello Trial-Member,

Thank you for your response.

I quite understand; however, taking the fact that the system continues hanging even after re-installing the operating system into consideration, points at a hardware issue rather than a software issue.

I have also tried the testings myself on-site and the system does not hang when having Intel ® Driver & Support Assistant installed so this does not seem to be related directly to the Driver & Support Assistant. 

Let me know the outcome if you are able to test with one RAM at a time.

Regards,

David V

0 Kudos