Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
QZhao6
Beginner

IGD Minimum Memory on NUC8i5BEK

Jump to solution

Hi there,

I just got a new NUC8i5BEK system and updated to latest BIOS version https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28179/BIOS-Update-BECFL357-86A- BECFL357.86A. I was trying to modify the IGD Minimum Memory to a higher value to improve the graphics performance with my Linux system. However, I can only see "32 MB" and "64 MB" options in the drop down list.

From the BIOS Glossary, I know that more options should be available. I have 32 GB main memory installed, so those options shouldn't be hidden because lacking of memory address space. Can anyone let me know that how to make those options available and set the "128 MB" as the IGD Minimum memory? Maybe it's a BIOS bug? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

The BIOS glossary details the possible parameters and selections you might see across all of the various NUC models. The fact that other options exist for one NUC model does not mean that you can presume ("know") that other options should exist for this NUC model or that these other options not existing means (or might imply) that there is a BIOS bug. There could be specific reasons why other choices are not available. For example, if the BIOS supports an O/S parameter, it might not support other options when a Windows O/S is selected - the Windows driver supports dynamic assignment and increasing the static assignment in the BIOS DOES NOT increase graphics performance. At the same time, if the Linux driver has been updated to support dynamic assignment (I am unaware of whether or not this is the case), there would (also) be no reason to offer other static assignment options in this case.

...S

View solution in original post

2 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

The BIOS glossary details the possible parameters and selections you might see across all of the various NUC models. The fact that other options exist for one NUC model does not mean that you can presume ("know") that other options should exist for this NUC model or that these other options not existing means (or might imply) that there is a BIOS bug. There could be specific reasons why other choices are not available. For example, if the BIOS supports an O/S parameter, it might not support other options when a Windows O/S is selected - the Windows driver supports dynamic assignment and increasing the static assignment in the BIOS DOES NOT increase graphics performance. At the same time, if the Linux driver has been updated to support dynamic assignment (I am unaware of whether or not this is the case), there would (also) be no reason to offer other static assignment options in this case.

...S

View solution in original post

QZhao6
Beginner

Hi Scott,

Thank you for the comment. I understand that the static assignment in BIOS may not improve the graphic performance and my Windows 10 is running good, but my Linux system suffers from Framebuffer driver issues. I thought it worth a try to increase static IGD Minimum Memory.

I'm aware that many reasons may be behind the unavailability of a BIOS option. The BIOS glossary already includes lots of notes and comments for that, for example the 1 GB option of IGD Minimum Memory should be hide if there is no enough memory space. I just didn't find a valid reason for my system. If Coffee Lake platform doesn't support static assignment larger than 64 MB, I think it worth mentioning in documents, and if the option is not available for other uncommon reasons, https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000023996/mini-pcs/intel-nuc-kits.html like this, it should also be mentioned somewhere. Thanks.