Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Manager

INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

I recently purchased three NUC7i7BNH. I used http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/download/tools/ Samsung's Data Migration Software to clone a Samsung SATA SSD to three Samsung M.2 960 EVO SSDs. For simplicity I will refer to the NUCs as NUC1, NUC2, and NUC3.

I put SATA SSD in NUC1 and cloned data from SATA SSD to each M.2 SSD (all three). I then remove SATA SSD from NUC1.

I can put any of the three M.2 SSDs in NUC2 or NUC3 and everything works.

Any of the three M.2 SSDs in NUC1 and NUC1 gives me that INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE.

If I put SATA SSD back into NUC1 and boot to SATA SSD (Windows 10) then go to Disk Management I see this any of the three M.2 SSDs:

The drives work and the NUC1 appears to work with M.2 (except for signature collision).

Here is pictures of BIOS with only M.2 SSD (BIOS version is 4/13/2018 0063):

Any ideas? I opened a support request with Intel and sent them this data.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello majorintel,

Thank you for joining the Intel Community Support.

First, please go to BIOS > Devices > Sata. Make sure the the units have the same Chipset SATA Mode chosen and the same configuration.

Also, do you have the same BIOS version in all the units?

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello majorintel,

Were you able to follow the steps provided before? Please let us know how it went.

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Except for the BIOS factor, boot devica failure (the boot device driver might fail to initialize the boot device during I/O system initialization), file system initialization failed, and incompatible disk hardware are also possible causes for the https://www.disk-partition.com/windows-10/windows-10-inaccessiable-boot-device-5740i.html inaccessible boot device error.

If you don't feel trouble, clean install is recommended.

0 Kudos