Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
npizz
Beginner

IR remote to turn on NUC8i7HNK

I have a NUC8i7HNK and I would like to be able to turn it on with a IR remote.

Which one works with this NUC?

Thanks.​

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello npizz Thank you for posting in the Intel Community. The Consumer Infrared (CIR) sensor on the front panel provides features that are designed to comply with Microsoft Consumer Infrared usage models (RC-6). The CIR feature is made up of the receiving sensor. The receiving sensor consists of a filtered translated infrared input compliant with Microsoft CIR specifications. Bear in mind that customers are required to provide their own media center compatible remote or smart phone application for use with the Intel NUC This is Information from the Intel® NUC Kit NUC8i7HN Technical Product Specification on page 37 sections 2.2.1.1. Reference link: https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/mini-pcs/nuc-kits/NUC8i7HNK_TechProdSpec.p... Hope this helps. Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
npizz
Beginner

Thank you very much Leonardo! Very useful!

Now I am not sure if I should pick a RC-6 remote or try to find a way (if ever) to turn-on my NUC with my wireless keyboard/mouse…

Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello npizz Thank you for the information, please confirm the following information: • What kind of wireless technology is going to be used with the wireless keyboard and mouse? • Are you going to use the wireless keyboard and mouse to wake the Intel® NUC form sleep or hibernation or form a complete power off state? Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
npizz
Beginner

Thanks for getting in touch.

I have a Logitech Craft wireless keyboard and a MX Master wireless mouse, both connected via a single Logitech Unifying received.

I am already able to wake up the NUC from sleep (power button blinking). I would like to be able to turn it on from off state (I think it's called also cold boot, or "wake from S5" or some other number) the same way, just with a key stroke or a movement of the mouse.

I think it should be possible...

Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello npizz 

Thank you for the information.   

The options to wake up the Intel® NUC are available on the Intel® NUC Kit NUC8i7HN Technical Product Specification page 31 section 1.14.1.2 (please refer to the link shared previously).

The cold boot (also called a "hard boot") means to start up a computer that is turned off and is not supported using a USB device.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

npizz
Beginner

Thank you Leonardo!

I finally was able to turn on my pc with a keystroke!

I just realized, however, that my USB powered lamp stays on while NUC is powered off (before it used to turn off with the PC, and this came very handy)… hmm, I did not think of that before!

So, now the problem is: Is there a way to "turn off" a USB when the PC is turned off, and have powered only the USB used by the wireless receiver? I am sure there is a way for this, but I guess it is going to take a lot of work...

Thanks again Leonardo!

Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello npizz Thank you for the information. • What changes were made to have the system turn on the Intel® NUC? • What USB port is being used for the Logitech USB receiver? Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
npizz
Beginner

the picture is my BIOS at present.

bios 12 18.jpg

I just enabled "USB S4/S5 Power" which in turn showed the option "Wake on USB from S5" (that disappears if I disable the "USB S4/S5 Power" option).

Since it did not work as intended, I went to check "fast startup" in Windows… disabling it did the trick.

The USB receiver is on the front panel, the blue USB port next to the yellow USB port… but I could put it wherever if necessary...

Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello npizz Thank you for the information, the behavior the behavior on the USB is correct on the for the configuration used by enabling the USB S4/S5 power. Hope this helps. Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
TDean
New Contributor II

I would like to verify that I can also start my NUC8i7HVK when it is powered off with either a keystroke or moving the mouse. It's a Logitech MK360 ( k360 keyboard with M185) combo. I have usb devices all plugged in the back,none in the front.

Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello TDean Thank you for posting in the Intel Community. Have you tried the configuration on BIOS shared on the community by npizz? Hope this helps. Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello TDean Where you able to try the BIOS settings posted by npizz? Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
TDean
New Contributor II

sorry for the delay in answering your question. Yes I can confirm that using npizz solution works for me. enabled "USB S4/S5 Power" which in turn showed the option "Wake on USB from S5" which I also checked. Logitech USB unify dongle in front type-a usb port.

Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello TDean I was checking your case and would like to know if you need further help. If so, please do not hesitate in replying back. Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation