Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ektachrome
Beginner

If I disable USB in BIOS will I still be able to use a USB keyboard to access BIOS?

Jump to solution

I noticed in my NUC8i3 BIOS that, when setting options for enabling/disabling USB ports, the F1 help specifies that disabling the ports will still allow a keyboard to work. I'd like to disable USB while in general use as it's for audio applications and I'd like to minimise electrical noise and load as much as possible. The NUC is running Roon ROCK OS headless so keyboard isn't needed for everyday operation. I would only need the keyboard now and again to go into BIOS and need to check this will still work with F2 on startup if I disable USB.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
LeonWaksman
Super User

Yes. that's right. The USB port will be active only during POST, regardless of the OS you are using.

Leon

View solution in original post

4 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

You should leave Legacy USB support enabled. If the Legacy USB support is enabled, USB keyboard/mouse can be used during POST and you will be able enter bios and make changes. If you have disable some USB ports in bios, they will be disabled once you boot into Windows.

Leon

Ektachrome
Beginner

Thanks, that's great.

I'm not using Windows, as ROCK is a custom Linux OS. Can I assume that if I disable USB in BIOS that it will only be available during POST (assuming I leave Legacy USB support checked) and powered down after this so that it's off regardless of the OS in use?

LeonWaksman
Super User

Yes. that's right. The USB port will be active only during POST, regardless of the OS you are using.

Leon

View solution in original post

Ektachrome
Beginner

Brilliant.

Thanks for your help!