Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

Improved (quieter) cooling for NUC7i7BNH?

I have a NUC7i7BNH which is mostly running fine. Only problem is that it seems to be pretty noisy (fan) if CPU gets any load.

Does anyone have any suggestions for either an alternate case (more passive cooling, water cooled?) or a lid mod that adds a (filtered) additional fan (most of the ones I've found are for 6th not 7th gen NUCs) ... happy to do some 3D printing and assembly if anyone has one designed and ready to go (don't feel confident enough to design/create my own from scratch)

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

Have you tried the simple things? Putting something - even a pile of books will make a difference - between you and the NUC chassis? Better is mounting the NUC on the back of a monitor or the back/side of your desk?

I have not seen any add-on that will put a regular fan in the picture. Doing so doesn't necessarily mean that you won't still have the blower reaching speeds that you can hear.

I am not a fan of the fanless chassis. The NUC boards were not designed for fanless chassis and still need airflow over the board surfaces (yes, plural; both sides of the board) to cool all components properly. Still, if you want to try this, I won't stop you. A good starting point is here: http://www.akasa.com.tw/update.php?tpl=product/product.list.tpl&type=Fanless%20Chassis&type_sub=Fanl... Akasa Fanless NUC (unfortunately, their chassis offerings only seem to be for the i3/i5 processors).

...S

Highlighted
Beginner

agree on the fanless concerns... would prefer to find a way to cool it that still has air movement.

I think the biggest problem with the NUC form-factor is lack of space for a decent sized fan that can move slowly but still shift enough air

0 Kudos
Highlighted

The blower became a requirement primarily because of the small chassis size, but also because it's incredibly difficult to define a flow-through path in most SFF designs. If only they could build a reliable 0.5" square fan that generated significant airflow without much noise. More research needs to be put into size-reducing the (dysan-style) bladeless air movement devices.

I have to admit that I have a lower level of sensitivity for the NUC blower noise. A significant contributor is being 60 years old (and having a normal level of age-related hearing loss), but, more importantly, my office also has other, older - and definitely louder - PCs running in it.

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Can you please tell me what's the CPU temp on idle in windows ?

I would like also to know if Intel applied a thermal pad or thermal paste for the NUC cpu? If they used conventional thermal paste then we could apply Gelid or Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut / Hydronaut to take down the temp.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

at idle it's down in the mid 30s (according to Speedfan) but any load at all pretty quickly takes it up into high 60s and beyond (after that the fan is making enough noise that I'll kill processes!)

annoyingly the sound seems to be pitched just right to annoy me!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I need someone to verify if Intel is using a thermal pad or a just thermal paste between the cpu and the cooler. If they applied paste then I remove the cooler and put gelid thermal paste. I'm sure we could get better temps.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

On the BN NUCs, there are two thermal pads for the EDRAM and GFX dies plus thermal paste for the processor die. This was necessary because of differences in the heights of the heat spreaders.

Here is a picture from an i5 BN:

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Thank you for the pic

0 Kudos