Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

Re: Installing ESXi on NUC8I7HNK - failing

Any luck on this? Any intel guys wanna chime in?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I'm in the exact same situation, please provide a fix for this!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Checking in if progress has been made on this as well. thanks!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Hi,

What are the exact steps to disable UEFI boot and enable legacy boot?

When I go to "Setup > Boot > Boot Priority" the "UEFI Boot" tickbox is grayed out and I cannot untick the box.

I already disabled secure boot under "Setup > Boot > Secure Boot" and set USB to boot first under "Setup > Boot > Boot Configuration".

Plus I downgraded to BOIS version 48 from 50 to match your configuration.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

So to answer my own question; in BOIS version 0048, you simply cannot disable UEFI boot and enable legacy boot... in BIOS Version 0037 "Legacy boot has been removed". You can check this in the release notes: https://downloadmirror.intel.com/28185/eng/HN_0050_ReleaseNotes.pdf

And indeed, I have downgraded waaay back to BIOS Version 0034, and now I have the legacy boot option under "Setup > Boot > Boot Priority" on the left.

Now I have a different problem... I also used VMware-VMvisor-Installer-6.7.0-8169922.x86_64.iso with rufus 3.3 on a 16GB USB drive. However, when legacy boot starts and I get to the USB boot menu, and after I choose to start the ESXi installer... nothing happens. Just a black screen and that's it. The HNK does not respond to any key pressed, the screen remains black and I have to hold the power button to power off the NUC.

Anyone else has the same issue? If not, what was your process to boot the ESXi installer in the legacy boot?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Just out of curiosity, is your NUC by chance on a dhcp network? When I install external graphics in our Dell servers, the ESXI boots and the screen goes black/blank when it hits a certain point in the boot, basically flipping to the other graphics card but the server actually continues forward and works. The only time that is a problem is if you don't know the IP address. If you are on DHCP and can netscan or fing or something I wonder if you can find it up and running, just headless.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

I am using DHCP, but the blank screen thing happens when I want to start the ESXi installer, so at this point, I do not have anything installed.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Sorry, I misread. Great idea to try though super glad to see you tested it. Back to my lurking hole now.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

So, i will try ti writes this as good as i can!

Just bought a 8I7HNK2, 32gb Ram, 2x m.2 intel NVMe

So i started out with bios version 34 and everytime i enabled legacy the screen went all black, no matter the efforts to get the screen going nothing happend.

And i upgrade to version 50 thus no legacy anymore, created correct usb bootable device but the d*mn nuc stil said no bootable device, and i tried all kinds of solutions even other usb flashdrives.

So heres the fun part, because i tried to install various os, linux, windows, nutanix HCI, esxi 6.0-6.7 and either the screen was totally blank, or it got stuck where others got stuck,

and so i accidently forgot a usb flash drive in one of the ports when i inserted a new, and voila it pics up any usb flashdrive, so i removed 1 usb flashdrive and it keeps working for a while and the stops and gives med the message, no bootable device found.

And i insert the second bootable usb flash drive and all is fine again,

So my conclusion is, as long its 2 bootable usb drive connected he finds both flashdrives and all is fine, remove 1 and it works for a while and stops so just plug in the second

And as for bios version 34, enabling legacy along side uefi only makes the screen go totally black

So i hope i wrote this i a maner that is understandable and it helps other to boot anything and the intel guys to fix this utterly (censored)

Regards /a-not-so-impressed-user

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

dvierus

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Did you ever get the NIC driver needed?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

intel_corp

Hi Anthony,

Just wanted to see if any progress was/is being made on this. As you can see there are are a lot of frustrated users who are waiting for a reply and there hasn't been any updates or activity on this for a while. Should be still be crossing our fingers or have you considered this a dead topic?

thanks,

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Hi rlund,

Sorry, but it is not clear for me. Did you manage to install ESXi with two USBs plugged in? Using which firmware version?

Thx

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Hi

Sorry for being no clear,

No i did not manage to install Esxi, i got stuck at shutting down firmware services

It seems that people has been succesfully installing on the KYK and HVK models, so i returned mine and ordered the NUC6I7KYK2 instead

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28287/BIOS-Update-HNKBLi70-86A-?product=126141 Download BIOS Update [HNKBLi70.86A]

New Version of Bios lads,

New Fixes/Features:

Fixed the issue where an error

would occur when installing

VMware* ESXi versions 6.5 and 6.7.

Highlighted
Novice

I can confirm. Just installed ESXi 6.7 and it works like a charm!

Many thanks to the Intel support and engineering teams!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Disclaimer: VMware Employee

Take a look at https://www.virtuallyghetto.com/2018/11/update-on-running-esxi-on-intel-nuc-hades-canyon-nuc8i7hnk-n... https://www.virtuallyghetto.com/2018/11/update-on-running-esxi-on-intel-nuc-hades-canyon-nuc8i7hnk-n... for more details but after publishing the article, it also looks like Intel just released a new BIOS v51 that addresses this problem and I can confirm latest ESXi 6.7 Update 1 installs and boots fine without the RTS issue

Highlighted
Novice

Finally!! I too can confirm that I've flashed my NUC to BIOS HNKBLi70.86A to V0051 and it's resolved all issues loaded VMware ESXi 6.7.

Woohoo, I can finally wiped all that dust that collected on it over the past 5 months and put it to good use.

Cheers all

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

I could also confirm that the new BIOS version 51 solved the issue!

Thank you Intel for this update, we really appreciate the effort.

Cheers everyone!

0 Kudos