Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JimmyNeutron
Beginner

Installing Radeon RX Vega M Graphics Driver causes NUC to lock up

I just picked up an Intel NUC8i7HVK1 and having a very hard time getting the Radeon display driver to install. Every attempt I tried causes the system to lock up. I've tried the default BIOS (BIOS Version/Date:"Intel Corp. HNKBLi70.86A.0053.2018.1217.1739 , 12/17/2018 12:00 AM") settings. Here's some of my testing that I did:

All testing was done using the default BIOS settings (pressing F9) followed by F10 to save the settings.

Here's what I did:

Test #1 using mini DisplayPort

=======

1. Fresh install of Windows 10 x64 Pro Version 1809

2. Updated Windows 10 with all the latest patches/hotfixes available as of Dec 28, 2018

3. Rebooted

4. Install Intel HD Graphics Driver 24.20.100.6286

5. Rebooted

6. Install Radeon RX Vega M Graphics Driver 18.9.1

Problem: During the installation of the Radeon drivers in step #6, I would see my Corsair K63 keyboard led turn off. Caps Locks no longer works. Unplugging the K63 from the USB and plugging into it back in doesn't help. Moving the K63 to a different keyboard doesn't help either. Only way to get the NUC to respond is to do a hard reset; press and hold the power button until it turns off. Powering it back on, the NUC will lock up again.

Test #2 using HDMI in rear (side where the power connector is located)

=======

1. Repeated Test #1 steps #1-6 and same problem.

Test #3 using HDMI in rear (side where the power connector is on)

=======

1. Changed keyboard from Corsair K63 to Logitech K800

2. Repeat Test #1 steps 1-6 and same problem.

Test #4 using HDMI in front (side where the SD reader/writer is located)

=======

Test #5 using mini DisplayPort to VGA(D-Sub 15)

=======

I've also tried the Radeon Beta driver from Intel website with no luck.

Anyone have a similar experience and how did you go about fixing it?

System is stable when using Intel HD Display with no Radeon driver installed. MemTest86 passes fine using the free version and default settings for both BIOS and MemTest86 settings.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
20 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hello @JimmyNeutron​ ,

1. Your steps 1 trough 3 are OK.
  2. Before installing all other drivers (including Graphic Drivers), I suggest that you should install Chipset Driver and Management Engine Driver. Reboot Your NUC.
  3. Now install all other drivers. The sequence of installation is not important. You may reboot your NUC only once, after the latest driver installation.
  4. All drivers you may download from Intel Site: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/126143/Intel-NUC-Kit-NUC8i7HVK

Hope this helps

Leon

LeonWaksman
Super User

One think more. Just checked in the Intel's site - the latest graphic driver is ver. 25.20.100.6444 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28438/Intel-HD-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-64-bit-for-t...

Leon

JimmyNeutron
Beginner

Hi @LWAKSMAN​ ,

Thanks for your suggestions and help! I've tried what you've stated and I'm still having the same lockup. This is the 2nd Intel NUC that exhibit the same behavior, which is what I'm currently testing and trying to get to work. The first one was returned back to Amazon because I thought the 1st NUC had a defective AMD's GPU.

Here are my steps.

Test #1 using Logitech K800 plug into rear USB port and HDMI in the rear. Rear define as side with the power connector.

============================

2. Updated Windows 10 with all the latest patches/hotfixes available as of Dec 29, 2018

3. Rebooted

4. Install Intel Chipset Device Software 10.1.17.1.

5. Rebooted

6. Install Intel HD Graphics Driver 24.20.100.6444

7. Rebooted

8. Install Radeon RX Vega M Graphics Driver 18.9.1

Problem: Same lockup problem. It seems to have rebooted itself because I see the Intel NUC logo, but just freezes with the circle spinning that normally spin around in a clockwise pattern to indicate Windows is loading, just frozen. I even waited 10 minutes just to make sure it wasn't still doing something.

Test #2 using Logitech K800 plug into rear USB port and HDMI in the rear. Rear define as side with the power connector.

1. Fresh install of Windows 10 x64 Pro Version 1809 but with no wireless connections to avoid any chance of Windows 10 downloading and installing any patches/hotfixes.

2. Install Intel Chipset Device Software 10.1.17.1.

3. Rebooted

4. Install Intel HD Graphics Driver 24.20.100.6444

5. Rebooted

6. Install Radeon RX Vega M Graphics Driver 18.9.1

Problem: Same lockup problem.

I've submitted in a ticket into Intel's helpdesk and hopefully they can help figure it out.

Thanks again for your help!

JimmyNeutron
Beginner

In case it matters, here's whats installed in my NUC

1. Two Samsung 970 EVO 250GB NVMe M.2
  2. Kingston HyperX 32GB DDR4-3200 CL20 260 Pin SODIMM Kit (2x16GB)

SChau10
New Contributor II

That Radeon 18.9.1 driver was WHQL-certified for Win10 RS4 (1803) back in September. It is possible that this driver has an incompatibility with Win10 RS5 (1809) OS.

Also, Intel 6444 (& 6471) graphics drivers are DCH drivers while the Radeon driver is legacy. Wouldn't it be risky to mix legacy & DCH graphics drivers in the same system? It's not clear to me that co-existence of these two drivers in Hades Canyon NUCs (with Win10 RS5) has even been validated.

Since the lockups track the installation of the Radeon 18.9.1 driver it appears a solution to this issue will depend on the release of a new Radeon graphics driver certified against Win10 RS5.

LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @JimmyNeutron​ 

While you are waiting for Customer Support response, I suggest that you will swap you SSD and install Windows on the other one. This way you will test if the problem is not in your SSD. In addition to install the Chipset, Graphics and Radeon drivers, please install the Management Engine driver too.

Leon

JimmyNeutron
Beginner

@SChau10​ and @LWAKSMAN​ Thanks for that suggestions! I've downloaded Windows 10 x64 Version 1803 and repeated my steps and still encounter the lockup. I've also tried the following:

Test #1 - skipping Intel HD Graphics Driver and using what came with MS Windows 10

1. Fresh install of Windows 10 x64 Pro Version 1803

2. Install Intel Chipset Device Software 10.1.17.1.

3. Rebooted

5. Intel Management Engine Consumer Driver 11.8.55.3510

6. Rebooted

7. Install Radeon RX Vega M Graphics Driver 18.9.1

Test #2 - installed onto secondary NVMe by disabling the primary in the BIOS

1. Fresh install of Windows 10 x64 Pro Version 1803

2. Rebooted

3. Install Intel Chipset Device Software 10.1.17.1.

4. Rebooted

5. Intel Management Engine Consumer Driver 11.8.55.3510

6. Rebooted

7. Install Intel HD Graphics Driver 24.20.100.6444

6. Rebooted

8. Install Radeon RX Vega M Graphics Driver 18.9.1

Thanks everyone for your help so far! If I can't get this to work, I guess I have no choice but go back to my originally plan of building a i9-9900K with a Z390 mini-itx; bigger and bulkier, but seems like I may have no choice.

LeonWaksman
Super User

Hello @JimmyNeutron​ ,

1. Since this is your second NUC and also you get the same problems, using other SSD, I think that this problem may be caused by your SODIMM. I have NUC like yours (and thousand of other user), and the Radeon driver, doesn't causes lock-up. NUC8i7HVK is an excellent computer, one of the best I work with. So, don't give up quickly.
  2. Remove one of SODIMM modules and try to operate your NUC with only one SODIMM at time, first in bottom slot and then in the upper slot.
  3. One think more, disconnect all external devices (except keyboard, mouse and monitor). Do not connect any USB HUB.

Leon

JimmyNeutron
Beginner

Hi @LWAKSMAN​ ,

Thanks again for your suggestions! I gave that a tried using just one stick of memory and one 970 NVMe and tried again with no luck. Trying the upper or lower slot of the memory banks didn't help either.

My second test consisted of installing every possible drivers already for my NUC including the Realtek Audio drivers and always saving the Intel HD GPU and Radeon GPU for last with Intel HD drivers always being installed before Radeon GPU drivers.

Last test, I install Ubuntu 18.10(because it has the kernel that supports my NUC) and most things works fine. Only problem I seem to have is when using either one of the HDMI port on the NUC, the screen would flicker off for about 3 seconds and then back on every now and then. With the miniDisplayPort to DP cable, it works fine. I suspect it has to do with the audio going over the HDMI and I'm going to play around with this on my 4K 32" AOC Monitor to see if this helps for both Ubuntu 18.10 and Windows 10 x64 1809.

JimmyNeutron
Beginner

Downgrading my monitor from HDMI 2.0 to HDMI 1.4 did help for Linux, but not for Windows. I figure it probably wouldn't work for Windows since I've already tried three different monitors and one of them including the VGA using DSub15. I've also downloaded https://benchmark.unigine.com/heaven?lang=en to benchmark the AMD GPU and that was stabled. In addition X-Plane 11 for Ubuntu was also stable. I figure if it was a memory or I/O issues, X-Plane and the GPU benchmark would put at least 50% stress on the hardware while it's running.

To summarize, Ubuntu 18.10 x64 is stable when using HDMI 1.4 or miniDP. Windows 10 locks up anytime I try to install the Radeon drivers.

SChau10
New Contributor II

There is a Radeon BETA 18.10.2 driver on Intel's website...

JimmyNeutron
Beginner

Hi @SChau10​ 

I've tried that before, but just in case, I've repeated my steps and documented as follow:

Test using Logitech K800 keyboard and Logitech M325 mouse and miniDP

Only thing that is plugged into the NUC are:

a. Logitech Unify Receiver(for the keyb and mouse)

b. miniDP to DP cable

c. Power connector

2. Updated Windows 10 with the latest patches/hotfixes as of Jan 1, 2019

3. Rebooted

4. Install Intel Chipset Device Software 10.1.17.1.

5. Rebooted

6. Intel Management Engine Consumer Driver 11.8.55.3510

7. Rebooted

8. Install Realtek High Definition Audio Driver 6.0.1.8454

9. Rebooted

10. Install Intel HD Graphics Driver 24.20.100.6444

11. Rebooted

12. Install Radeon RX Vega M Graphics Driver 18.10.2 BETA

I can see the Radeon drivers trying to install itself and within a minute, the NUC locks. NUC does not respond when unplugging and replugging in the Logitech Unify receiver for my Logitech keyboard and mouse. Unplugging the miniDP and plugging it back in doesn't do anything. Pressing the power button for a second and then letting go doesn't do anything. Only thing I can do is press and hold the power button to force a hard reset.

SChau10
New Contributor II

I'm basically guessing (grasping at straws) here, but have you tried re-configuring the NUC (in Visual BIOS) to NOT use XMP 2.0 profile for the Kingston HyperX memory modules? The non-XMP speed of such modules may be something like 2133, as reported by the module SPD. The "native" DDR4 memory speed of NUC8i7HVK is 2400, so anything higher than 2400 that is called out by XMP 2.0 profile is a form of memory overclocking. I have a feeling that just because a particular DDR4 SODIMM (with XMP 2.0) like the HyperX 3200 that is listed as Intel validated for the NUC may not always translate to completely robust behavior for all scenarios. Another possibility would be the memory module not living up to its XMP 2.0 profile specs.

I'm not very familiar with Hades Canyon NUC8i7HxK series, but assuming the Radeon RX Vega M discrete graphics is in hybrid graphics mode always working in conjunction with Intel integrated graphics (and using the display outputs from the Intel), the display frame buffer memory still comes out of system (DDR4) memory, so any lack of robustness in the memory subsystem for whatever reason can mess up the discrete graphics as well. This is in contrast to true discrete graphics where the discrete GPU has its own dedicated graphics memory, such as with virtually all discrete graphics cards (e.g. NVIDIA, AMD), which tend to be much less sensitive to memory subsystem stability issues.

Backing the memory off from the XMP 2.0 speed is hopefully easy to do with this NUC, and may add a meaningful data point to the troubleshooting. Another alternative is to use "plain" DDR4-2400 memory (without XMP 2.0 support) to compare.

JimmyNeutron
Beginner

Hi @SChau10​ ,

All my previous testings have been using the default bios settings for bios 53, which translates to the memory multiplier being set to Automatic. Automatic sets the memory multiplier to 24. I ran my test again using memory multiplier of 18 and I still have the same problem.

When I set my memory multiplier to 18, CPU-Z reports my DRAM frequency to be 1200MHz, which should be equivalent to 2400MHz. At a multiplier of 24(Automatic), my DRAM frequency is reported as 1600MHz in CPU-Z.

I've also tried using XMP-2937 and that didn't work either.

LeonWaksman
Super User

Did you check the settings in Radeon RX Vega M Settings panel (right click on desktop)?

Leon

Saitama
Beginner

Have you tried using "Intel Driver & Support Assistant" to install the driver? i.e.

1. install Win 10.
  2. install and run Intel Driver & Support Assistant to install all the drivers for you automatically.

note: you'll have to run it several times(after restart) to install all the drivers. GL

JimmyNeutron
Beginner

@LWAKSMAN​ If you're referring to the Radeon drivers own software like what nVidia has for their GPU, it's not available. The Radeon drivers never installed successfully so there's no menu options for the Radeon GPU.

@Saitama​ Yeap. I've tried that also and making sure I install every possible drivers that's available and saving Intel GPU and Radeon GPU drivers for last with Intel always getting installed before Radeon.

Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello JimmyNeutron

After reviewing all the steps performed for this behavior (default BIOS settings, Clean OS installation, clean graphics driver installation...) I would like to confirm if the operating system (OS) image has been downloaded from Microsoft and you have tried to complete the OS installation of a previous build version like Windows® 10 1803 instead of Windows® 10 1803, in case you face the same behavior with Windows® 10 1803, I recommend contacting local support (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/company-overview/contact-us.html) for warranty options.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

JimmyNeutron
Beginner

@LeoC_Intel​  Thanks and I've tried all that already. In addition, I've spoken to Intel's support and two thing they wanted me to try that I haven't tried already was

a. using older Radeon display driver.

b. tried different SODIMM, which I don't have any didn't want to buy.

At the end, nothing works and I ended up returning the Intel NUC back to Amazon because it was free to return to Amazon whereas Intel wanted to charge me for shipping cost and send me a refurbish unit. Thanks, but no thanks.