Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KTrim1
Beginner

Intel Display Audio Driver Issue - During Full Screen Game

All Drivers/BIOS up to date with Intel Support Assistant.

Latest version of windows 10 1903. (HDMI - Intel Display Audio)

System Specs

NUC8i3BEH

16gb Ram

120gb NVMe - BOOT

480gb Sata

ISSUE

This only happens in full screen mode. If its in a window, sound works.

If you quit to desktop, and look quickly at your audio icon in the task bar, you will see the audio device is not there with a red X.

The audio device then comes back about a few seconds later, after exiting the game.

Certain Games

The Way (GOG Version)

Tron 2.0 (GOG Version)

Minecraft 1.14.4.0 (Java)

A few others but i forget what they were.

0 Kudos
47 Replies
AlHill
Super User

You may want to install the latest 1903 patch, as it addressed an audio issue.

September 26, 2019—KB4517211 (OS Build 18362.387)

Doc

KTrim1
Beginner

I'll check it out, it is possible I haven't been "Selected" yet for that latest patch. As I had to completely reinstall windows again due to Star Force DRM ruining my windows 10 install.

Will post my findings later today.

AlHill
Super User

It is there. Check for updates, and then select the optional update.

Doc

KTrim1
Beginner

Yes, currently running .387

AlHill
Super User

Do you have KB4517211 ?

Doc

KTrim1
Beginner

yes sir , everything is up to date.

David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello KTrim1,

Thank you for posting on the Intel ® communities.

I can recommend you re-installing both the graphics drivers and the display driver. In order to do so, please follow the steps below:

1 - Download the driver in the link below:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28974/Intel-HD-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-for-Intel-NU...

2 - Disconnect the system from the internet and access "Device Manager". 

3 - Look for "Display adapter", right-click on Intel ® HD Graphics and select uninstall, make sure to also select "Delete the driver software for this device", repeat the steps if necessary until the display adapter shows as "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter". 

4 - Look for "Sound, video and game controllers", right-click on "Intel(R) Display Audio" and select uninstall while also selecting "Delete the driver software for this device". 

5 - Restart the system and proceed to install the driver downloaded back on step 1, when the installation goes through, restart the system once more. 

6 - Test to see if the issue persists, at this point you can re-connect the internet. 

Let me know the outcome of following the steps provided above so I can assist you further if needed. 

David V

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

KTrim1
Beginner

Didn't work unfortunately, its something else. Game works fine in window mode, go to full screen and the red x shows up with no audio.

KTrim1
Beginner

Ive tried

• disabling exclusive mode (Audio Device)

• re installation of drivers (Intel Audio/Graphics)

• changing the sample rate to a lower rate

• Unplugging and plugging the hdmi back in while the program is running

• uninstalling the program itself, re installation of the program.

• Running the program in administrator mode

• Ive tried SFC Scannow

• Even windows 10 has been reinstalled.

Sound will not work if the game is in fullscreen mode connected via HDMI (Intel Display Audio)

NOTE - Sound works in fullscreen mode with 3.5mm jack. (Realtek)

If i had a thunderbolt to HDMI adapter i would try that, but that will have to wait.

LeonWaksman
Super User

Please verify Bios setting: Advanced > Devices > Onboard Devices - the HDMI/DisplayPort Audio should be enabled.

Leon

David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello KTrim1,

Were you able to check the previous post?

Let me know if you need more assistance.

David V

KTrim1
Beginner

Yes, I tried that previously. It was checked originally, I disabled it for the hell of it. No sound globally....obviously.

Re enabled it, and it just goes back to the way it was. (Still no sound through HDMI Intel HD Audio during full screen)

It is not that.

David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello KTrim1,

Thank you for your response.

I would like to know which game is the one that is giving you this problem. Also, since you are playing the game in full-screen I would like to know how you are able to see the audio with a red X? Do you minimize the game to check? 

If you can, please provide screenshots of this and your hardware configuration so I can attempt to replicate this:

- RAM model and part number.

- SSD/HDD model and part number. 

- Attach an System Support Utility report, this report can be generated from our tool, you can refer to the link below so you can download it: 

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

Make sure to attach the created report to this thread.

David V

David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello KTrim1,

Were you able to check my previous post? 

Please let me know so I can assist you further. 

David V

KTrim1
Beginner

Currently on Vacation. I will gather that info later in the week. I also have a Thunderbolt to HDMI cable on the way.

David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello KTrim1,

I understand, please let me know the outcome.

David V

KTrim1
Beginner

The only way to see the audio with the red X is to have a display that acts quickly to the change from a game back to the desktop. My 65" vizio is quick enough. My 40" vizio is not.

The Way (GOG Version) - How i reproduced the red x after closing the game.

Tron 2.0 (GOG Version) fails to start due to a Sound dll issue (The game goes to fullscreen and fails with a sound error)

Also i recieved the thunderbolt to HDMI, Same issue. (its still using the same driver, the intel display audio)

David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello KTrim1,

I was checking what we have tried so far and I can see that this has not been tested with a different HDMI cable, if possible, please attempt to use a different HDMI cable. 

Let me know the outcome 

David V

KTrim1
Beginner

As of right now there has been 3 different HDMI Cables along with 3 different displays (two 1080p Vizio Tvs & one 22" HP computer monitor with HDMI)

David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello KTrim1,

Thank you for waiting.

I have been testing this on-site, after downloading Minecraft 1.14.4.0 from the official Minecraft website, I tested this with the latest Windows build and the latest graphics driver available for the Intel ® NUC, there were no problems and the audio was played successfully through the speakers of the monitor via HDMI. 

Are you getting the games from the official download websites? I would recommend contacting the game developer to see if they can debug this and provide you with any possible options.

David V